The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Spring recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Currently have a set of eibach sportline springs on my 2014 V6 and it’s just a bit to low for my liking (1.2 inch front, 1.7-1.9 inch drop rear) . I love how the springs feels for street driving and they seem to preform okay on track but the drop is a bit extreme.

Wondering what people recommend for springs that are similar to the sport lines without as much drop.

I looked at a post on here somewhere that lists all the spring rates for different springs but it didnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

According to this your spring rates are Front: 183 lb/in. Rear: 103-217 lb/in.

My guess as to the closest would be Roush springs. They don't publish their rates but I think they're about 200/200... With a 0.5 in. drop they'd raise your car up about a half an inch in the front and an inch in the rear. Some other choices might be Steeda BOSS springs, or even a set of stock BOSS 302 takeoffs...

You could also get custom coilovers and just specify your own rate and set the height you like.

Last edited:
According to this your spring rates are Front: 183 lb/in. Rear: 103-217 lb/in.

My guess as to the closest would be Roush springs. They don't publish their rates but I think they're about 200/200... With a 0.5 in. drop they'd raise your car up about a half an inch in the front and an inch in the rear. Some other choices might be Steeda BOSS springs, or even a set of stock BOSS 302 takeoffs...

You could also get custom coilovers and just specify your own rate and set the height you like.
How much of a drop are the boss springs compared to stock base model ride height?

Stock BOSS springs? Should be about a half inch drop in the front over a stock GT. BOSS is a little raked. Stock BOSS springs would probably be a little softer than what you've got now.

This is the best reference I've found on S197 springs.

I think these are the proper part numbers but they are no longer in production so you'd need to hit the boneyard. I have seen them show up on eBay now and then.

Rear Coil Springs
Non-Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR3Z-5560-B (V)
Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR3Z-5560-A (T)

Front Coil Springs
Non-Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR3Z-5310-B (V)
Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR33-5310-A (T)

Most people will say that the stock BOSS springs won't be competitive at the track. I think they're the stiffest springs that sit near stock ride height though.
If you're looking to go back to a stock ride height, the Brembo package springs may be easier to find. They're softer than the BOSS springs but they're slightly stiffer than the GT springs.

Last edited:
Currently have a set of eibach sportline springs on my 2014 V6 and it’s just a bit to low for my liking (1.2 inch front, 1.7-1.9 inch drop rear) . I love how the springs feels for street driving and they seem to preform okay on track but the drop is a bit extreme.

Wondering what people recommend for springs that are similar to the sport lines without as much drop.

I looked at a post on here somewhere that lists all the spring rates for different springs but it didnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

That much drop in the rear will affect your rear LCA angles and lead to poor handling. Its a easy and safe choice to just go with the Ford P springs. Ford did the work on them for you already. Dont forget to check your rear LCA angles, you will need some relocation brackets to compensate.

That much drop in the rear will affect your rear LCA angles and lead to poor handling. Its a easy and safe choice to just go with the Ford P springs. Ford did the work on them for you already. Dont forget to check your rear LCA angles, you will need some relocation brackets to compensate.
I already have the relocation brackets installed and so far other then the fact that the car scraps on basically every speed bump and when pulling out of my driveway I haven’t had any issues. My dad is running the P springs they preform fantastic on track but I wasn’t a huge fan of them for street driving

Stock BOSS springs? Should be about a half inch drop in the front over a stock GT. BOSS is a little raked. Stock BOSS springs would probably be a little softer than what you've got now.

This is the best reference I've found on S197 springs.

I think these are the proper part numbers but they are no longer in production so you'd need to hit the boneyard. I have seen them show up on eBay now and then.

Rear Coil Springs
Non-Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR3Z-5560-B (V)
Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR3Z-5560-A (T)

Front Coil Springs
Non-Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR3Z-5310-B (V)
Leguna Seca Boss 302: CR33-5310-A (T)

Most people will say that the stock BOSS springs won't be competitive at the track. I think they're the stiffest springs that sit near stock ride height though.
If you're looking to go back to a stock ride height, the Brembo package springs may be easier to find. They're softer than the BOSS springs but they're slightly stiffer than the GT springs.
I’m looking for around a 1 inch drop just for a lower centre of gravity. I’m in a tough spot because I daily drive my car so I’m trying to find the sweep spot

I liked steeda comps best when i had stock struts

@Tim.ocon When choosing new springs remember to include the sway bar dimensions in your thinking and be thinking about total wheel rate. Lots of variables there. Also remember that Ford often bonded the front sway bar mounts, I guess to prevent squeaks or something, which adds to the effective wheel rate when the car is lowered. I don't know how much that is a theoretical issue vs a real one but the stock sway bar is hard to move with the strut removed. This issue will be reduced with your goal of returning the car to a more stock-ish ride height. Finally, remember to cut and/or replace your rear bump stops, the stock ones left uncut with lowering springs will spike your rear wheel rate and mess up your handling for sure.

@Tim.ocon When choosing new springs remember to include the sway bar dimensions in your thinking and be thinking about total wheel rate. Lots of variables there. Also remember that Ford often bonded the front sway bar mounts, I guess to prevent squeaks or something, which adds to the effective wheel rate when the car is lowered. I don't know how much that is a theoretical issue vs a real one but the stock sway bar is hard to move with the strut removed. This issue will be reduced with your goal of returning the car to a more stock-ish ride height. Finally, remember to cut and/or replace your rear bump stops, the stock ones left uncut with lowering springs will spike your rear wheel rate and mess up your handling for sure.
I have already cut my bumpstops but what is wheel rate?

I have already cut my bumpstops but what is wheel rate?
The effective stiffness of the entire suspension measured at the wheel. It is affected by and includes spring rate, sway bar rates, dampers, spring location, etc. - basically anything that affects the suspension stiffness as measured at the wheel.

I already have the relocation brackets installed and so far other then the fact that the car scraps on basically every speed bump and when pulling out of my driveway I haven’t had any issues. My dad is running the P springs they preform fantastic on track but I wasn’t a huge fan of them for street driving
True, when I upgraded to Cortex coil overs. the very first thing I noticed was how much better the ride was compared to the P springs.

Last edited:
Yes the front bars were bonded to the bushings even back then. They had some minor wind up issues after install however.. but they were fine. FYI - bonding a swaybar to the bushings ID adds about 7% to the spring rate of the bar. And yes, they are done to stop noise issues especially cold nose.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel