The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Street Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Noticed today we will need to buy tires for Holly’s car in a few months. It has what I assume you be the OEM Pirelli tires on it…with less than 12K miles. Not sure how that is possible. Or do they just come with shallow tread depth?

Anyway, what is the general consensus on a good replacement? Can I go wider?

I like the Nitto NT 555 G2 as a summer.
Depends if your looking for all seasons or summer. Start at $155 and work your way down to meet your parameters. Stay away from Ps.

I've had good luck with simple tire.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of Nittos in the rain, they were a handful on my 07 Gt500. The Goodyear Supercars are much better behaved. I'm sure there are others, but those Goodyear Supercar 3s we ran at Daytona in the WRL wet or dry, have really sold me on them.. There might be better stuff out there, but I've seen those Goodyears with my own eyes.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Are you a USAA member because you get a huge discount with them if so ( look under Perks ). The issue on tires comes down entirely on what you are looking for, and if just a good ride, solid in the rain , and good performance you open up a ton of rubber donuts. If you are looking for something to occasionally autocross or go on track then that will cause the selection to go down a bunch.

I do have to politely agree with Blacksheep ( sorry good buddy Kazar ) but those of us who have run on street tires for almost 6 decades commonly refer to the tires you mentioned as Schittos ! They do nothing really well except they be cheap, ha!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Are you a USAA member because you get a huge discount with them if so ( look under Perks ). The issue on tires comes down entirely on what you are looking for, and if just a good ride, solid in the rain , and good performance you open up a ton of rubber donuts. If you are looking for something to occasionally autocross or go on track then that will cause the selection to go down a bunch.

I do have to politely agree with Blacksheep ( sorry good buddy Kazar ) but those of us who have run on street tires for almost 6 decades commonly refer to the tires you mentioned as Schittos ! They do nothing really well except they be cheap, ha!
Actually Bill, I had a set of Nitto 555s and I found they performed admirably as a tire to put on the car while it sat in the garage over the winter. Then, when I sold the car, they were a fine tire to put on the car to sell it. So in fact, they do a couple of things well. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors