The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"Blue" Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@blacksheep-1
On some thread I saw you mention staying away from tires with blue tint on them. I've run a few various Nitto/Toyo tires over the years, and have seen the blue tint, but normally after a winter sitting in the garage. So, cold here in Texas, but shouldn't have gotten below freezing. I'm seeing it again on my Toyo RR's that I've used just over half the life on last year. (I'd guesstimate ~25 heat cycles)

Do you only see it after tires have been "cold", or can you see the blue tint on used tires that have only been at more normal ambients? Any other thoughts on this? I suppose at a minimum, I can't plan to set any personal bests this spring!

@blacksheep-1
On some thread I saw you mention staying away from tires with blue tint on them. I've run a few various Nitto/Toyo tires over the years, and have seen the blue tint, but normally after a winter sitting in the garage. So, cold here in Texas, but shouldn't have gotten below freezing. I'm seeing it again on my Toyo RR's that I've used just over half the life on last year. (I'd guesstimate ~25 heat cycles)

Do you only see it after tires have been "cold", or can you see the blue tint on used tires that have only been at more normal ambients? Any other thoughts on this? I suppose at a minimum, I can't plan to set any personal bests this spring!
You'll see it all the time, even tires that are only a month old. It means they are starting to degrade, the more Blue, the worse they are.

Thanks for the reply! OK, I'll keep an eye out for it, I've just never seen it "in-season". :thumbsup:

I've read the 'used tire treatment" post in the past, but haven't tried it yet...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel