The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Time Trial groups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
Really want to get involved with organized time trials next year. Either a full season with one organizer or a few individual events. What are your opinions on the different groups to participate in?
1. NASA
2. SCCA
3. GridLife

Really want to get involved with organized time trials next year. Either a full season with one organizer or a few individual events. What are your opinions on the different groups to participate in?
1. NASA
2. SCCA
3. GridLife
I would like to do the same. I have spent a little time on SCCA TT classing and eligibility rules. SCCA classing is quite specific and “normal” mods to us cause upclassing.

My advice will be:
1. Where you live. Gridlife is more present on east than west
2. Nasa has weight to power ratio. It is my favorite. There is a class calculator that tells.you where u stand. Scca is more interpretation and most of the time they need to tell uou where u stand with classes.
Keep in mind a NASA optimized car will not be super competitive in grid life.
Im in TT2 in NASA and in gridlife i will ne in trackmod going against 1000whp cars.
So pick your..."drug "based on availability of events around you and car characteristics.
Ale

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I run SCCA TT, being in TN you have good access to many of the tracks they run. I found the classing pretty reasonable, and 200TW focused. I ran my gt350 a couple of years with bmr springs and bars and 315 rt660's on 19x11.5 in their lowest - sport2 class and had a lot of fun and good success.

Their regional TT and national TT series provide lots of events, that are not super crowded or cut throat.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
I run SCCA TT, being in TN you have good access to many of the tracks they run. I found the classing pretty reasonable, and 200TW focused. I ran my gt350 a couple of years with bmr springs and bars and 315 rt660's on 19x11.5 in their lowest - sport2 class and had a lot of fun and good success.

Their regional TT and national TT series provide lots of events, that are not super crowded or cut throat.
I'm already a member as well. It seems like NASA is the most hardcore but they seem to be the most difficult to get started in, at least thats my impression.

1. NASA
2. SCCA
3. GridLife
I had a pleasant exchange with Ryan in the SCCA Time Trial group. Ryan was good enough to provide a classing projection for each mod installed (or planned) on my 2014 GT Track Pack. FWIW...

Starting from the entry TT Sport class, these items move me up to Tuner; MGW Shifter, Brake cooling ductwork, Boss 302S Grille (deleting GT fog lights), larger radiator, oil cooler. The next step up to Max Class is caused by these mods; Kenny Brown rear grip kit which replaces factory bushings with spherical metal bushings, hood venting beyond factory.

I have now decided to go with coilovers rather than Tire Rack-offered OE style Struts, this also moves me to Max class. RH adjustment beyond lowering springs is an up-class to Max. Camber plates are acceptable in Sport, cutting the strut tower for more negative camber adjustment moves me to Max.

Note: This is my understanding on my S197. I am in the SCCA Great Lakes Division.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have been in SCCA for 42 years and NASA for 11 and the notes about it being easier to get into SCCA Time Trials is correct , but that is because NASA is more structured in getting their Competition license. They provide way more Instruction than the other groups and since you can pass anywhere with most groups many like the idea that there is more training to participate with them. I like both and the one note that is likely the key is based on where you live , because often when it comes down to it the group that may work best for you is the one that does a lot in your neighborhood. SCCA Time Trial Events are all over the US for their National Events, NASA usually has more Regional Events ( closer to drive to ) and both have National Championships. Gridlife is the party central, but often well prepared cars will run against monster engines with tires attached , as Flyhalf mentioned.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Boss4me with your mods and your likely HP to weight ratio you would probably run in TT3 with NASA , which would put you with cars more like yours, since honestly your mods are relatively mild. The Great Lakes Region of NASA is one of the biggest and best in the US.

If not supercharged or turbo we will behind in grodlife.
Scca does bot have time trials in norcal
Gridlife does one event and it was full after 5mins.
Nasa is the simpler for me.
A note. If you have time trials experience and you are a good guy you can... jump some of the HPDE requirements.
Just go to an event. Register to hpde 4. And become friends with bunch of people 🙂

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Depends on where you are, but nothing saying you can't go out and watch or give them a run. For instance, in SoCal, SCCA is mostly about AutoX and just 2 track days a year, at 1 track... NASA does 10+ at all 4. Nothing against the AutoX fam, just not my fun/speed. GridLife down here is... more like Forza Horizon than Forza Motorsport, including like a EDM DJ'd party at night.

Before you get too deep into it and think you've found your homies, try to get an idea of your intended class before you get too deep in, because with exception of like Spec Miata, NASA and SCCA can (will) vary slightly between what you're allowed to do and run, some classes/prep levels are close, so it all depends. If you watch the race groups, try to remember what they've got stickered on the doors like TT2, AS, GS, GT1, etc.

No matter what you choose, you're bound to find other nutjobs who love it as much as you do, if not more, and always down to help. Find those track rats and sponge away, chances are they'll tell you the straight dope without even having to ask for it :D

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
Depends on where you are, but nothing saying you can't go out and watch or give them a run. For instance, in SoCal, SCCA is mostly about AutoX and just 2 track days a year, at 1 track... NASA does 10+ at all 4. Nothing against the AutoX fam, just not my fun/speed. GridLife down here is... more like Forza Horizon than Forza Motorsport, including like a EDM DJ'd party at night.

Before you get too deep into it and think you've found your homies, try to get an idea of your intended class before you get too deep in, because with exception of like Spec Miata, NASA and SCCA can (will) vary slightly between what you're allowed to do and run, some classes/prep levels are close, so it all depends. If you watch the race groups, try to remember what they've got stickered on the doors like TT2, AS, GS, GT1, etc.

No matter what you choose, you're bound to find other nutjobs who love it as much as you do, if not more, and always down to help. Find those track rats and sponge away, chances are they'll tell you the straight dope without even having to ask for it :D
Yessir I think I am on the way down this path as far as investigating classes and stuff. SCCA and some grid life events seem to be easier to "try out" while NASA may be the best in some respects but makes it difficult to sample without LOTS of time/money invested. All of them, i have discovered, can be difficult to classify your vehicle in especially since they all have different systems. lol Thanks for the pointers!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Yessir I think I am on the way down this path as far as investigating classes and stuff. SCCA and some grid life events seem to be easier to "try out" while NASA may be the best in some respects but makes it difficult to sample without LOTS of time/money invested. All of them, i have discovered, can be difficult to classify your vehicle in especially since they all have different systems. lol Thanks for the pointers!
Don’t be discouraged with the rigidity of NASA. Each region has a Time Trial director - find out who it is for your region and have a discussion with them. I would recommend signing up for HPDE for a day with the intent of talking with the TT director in person. Find the TT drivers meeting on the schedule and make a point to attend. If you have lots of other non-NASA driving experience, they will work with you to get you moved into TT quickly. If you don’t, well then the HPDE advancement path is the right investment anyways.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
Don’t be discouraged with the rigidity of NASA. Each region has a Time Trial director - find out who it is for your region and have a discussion with them. I would recommend signing up for HPDE for a day with the intent of talking with the TT director in person. Find the TT drivers meeting on the schedule and make a point to attend. If you have lots of other non-NASA driving experience, they will work with you to get you moved into TT quickly. If you don’t, well then the HPDE advancement path is the right investment anyways.
Thanks man good advice. I'm not opposed to going through their qualification process if I decide to go the NASA route. I have a fair amount of experience though and don't necessarily want to start completely at the bottom :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
I contacted the regional NASA guy and am going to see where that takes me thanks! Probably do that as well as targeted SCCA events since they are pretty active in the Southeast as well.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would be shocked if they want you to start in HPDE 1, but the ladder system is set up as basic structure for all, and you very likely could start in 2 or 3 and get moved by your Instructor to the first day. Usually with a lot of experience the movement can be reasonable rapid , but they will likely put you with a very experienced Instructor to check if you can go into TT really quickly. Keep in mind they want to make sure your situational awareness and other skills are top notch as you can pass " Anywhere " on the track with the other TT drivers.

I have taken some talented and experienced drivers out for a TT test only to find that from running with the fun HPDE driving events they have a few minor areas to work on as the intensity level is lower with these groups. I know I love the fact that the other guys out on track with me have the most rigid structure for a TT license of any group , it gives you confidence when passing someone you don't know that they were not just thrown out there with virtually no training.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
I would be shocked if they want you to start in HPDE 1, but the ladder system is set up as basic structure for all, and you very likely could start in 2 or 3 and get moved by your Instructor to the first day. Usually with a lot of experience the movement can be reasonable rapid , but they will likely put you with a very experienced Instructor to check if you can go into TT really quickly. Keep in mind they want to make sure your situational awareness and other skills are top notch as you can pass " Anywhere " on the track with the other TT drivers.

I have taken some talented and experienced drivers out for a TT test only to find that from running with the fun HPDE driving events they have a few minor areas to work on as the intensity level is lower with these groups. I know I love the fact that the other guys out on track with me have the most rigid structure for a TT license of any group , it gives you confidence when passing someone you don't know that they were not just thrown out there with virtually no training.
Oh yeah I hope I didn't come off as an arrogant a$$ acting like I didn't need to go through the system. lol I am just weighing the pros and cons of each group but I totally get the benefits of being confident the people you are on track with are prepared TT or even the run group you are in. Passing anywhere instead of only on straight was definitely a big change when I first experienced it.
Really appreciate all the good advice!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dropped you a PM

I didn't think you came off as a .....er ....donkey behind...........I was in the exact same position and asked almost the same questions with NASA when I started with them 12 years ago.

TMO Supporting Vendors