The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tire trailer towing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
I’m looking into buying/building a tire trailer for my 2014 v6 as I do not have a truck and trailer to take the car to the track.
The ford towing capacity number is 1000lbs. How true is this and would the track suspension make this number higher or lower. I have found one on marketplace relatively close to me but I think with all the gear it will be over the 1000lbs

3E50FED7-350B-4A4F-9A36-0FBD51AECD15.jpeg

In theory with stiffer springs on the back you could get away with a little more tongue weight. I would look into one of the small Harbor Freight trailers. The biggest thing will be making sure you have enough tongue weight to keep it from swaying. That's the issue I ran into when towing my motorcycle with my car.

I made this out of the 4x6 trailer from Harbor Freight and towed it behind my Ford Fusion.
9.jpg

In theory with stiffer springs on the back you could get away with a little more tongue weight. I would look into one of the small Harbor Freight trailers. The biggest thing will be making sure you have enough tongue weight to keep it from swaying. That's the issue I ran into when towing my motorcycle with my car.

I made this out of the 4x6 trailer from Harbor Freight and towed it behind my Ford Fusion.
View attachment 97148
That’s wicked! Moding something aluminum may be a better plan then buying the one I have in the photo

This is all you need. Harbor Freight trailer with plywood on top, wheel chocks, tie downs and the other side has a big plastic tool box that holds a floor jack, jack stands, some tools, etc. Its light, tows easily and fits any size tire.trailer.jpg

I
This is all you need. Harbor Freight trailer with plywood on top, wheel chocks, tie downs and the other side has a big plastic tool box that holds a floor jack, jack stands, some tools, etc. Its light, tows easily and fits any size tire.View attachment 97154
think this is what I’ll end up with. The one pictures is cool but will be to heavy

I built this one from Tractor Supply and fitted it out similar to @racer47
I used a Mustang trailer hitch from e-trailer. The trailer itself weighs 180 lbs and I think the tongue rating with the etrailer hitch is 200 lbs. This is very light and easy to wheel around, disconnect, etc. That used one you posted looks bigger and heavier than you need.

@dave2278 recently custom built a gorgeous tire trailer but that sort of thing is above my pay grade, check out his build thread.

Last edited:
I built this one from Tractor Supply and fitted it out similar to @racer47
I used a Mustang trailer hitch from e-trailer. The trailer itself weighs 180 lbs and I think the tongue rating with the etrailer hitch is 200 lbs. This is very light and easy to wheel around, disconnect, etc. That used one you posted looks bigger and heavier than you need.

@dave2278 recently custom built a gorgeous tire trailer but that sort of thing is above my pay grade, check out his build thread.
That’s exactly the trailer I was looking at on the Home Depot website. Do you have photos of how you modded and loaded yours

No pictures but nothing to see, just a painted piece of outdoor plywood across the top. I stack the tires on their side and tie them down with ratchet straps. The only real problem I've had is the wheels shift unless secured with straps going both laterally and longitudinally. I like @racer47's setup better with the wheel chocks, that looks more secure and is my next "upgrade."

Other random thoughts: The trailer itself is kind of a cheapo but easy to assemble and works well. It tows very well with no swaying. I load my track tires two high on the front of the trailer to increase the tongue weight. The trailer tires are too small imo. They are speed rated at ~63 mph but I regularly drive about 80 with no problems so far. I figure (rationalize?? lol) that the trailer is rated to 850 lbs and I'm only carrying about 200 lbs of wheels and tires so "it should be fine." I carry a spare wheel and tire for when I'm proven wrong. Better solution would be to buy slightly bigger wheels and tires. I reduced the leaf springs to only one leaf since I am carrying so little weight and at least in theory that might make the trailer bounce around a little less.

Overall it's no Leroy trailer but for the price I have no complaints. We should start a tire trailer thread, sort of a JV version of all the pimped-out car trailer threads on here.

My numbers may be off but I think the trailer comes with 10" tires but you can buy 12's and bolt right on. Maybe it's 12 > 14. Either way it slows down the wheel speed and lengthens the life of the bearing. Another thing to note is the Harbor Freight trailers have metric axles and bearings so your standard off the shelf bearings from Tractor Supply or Napa won't work. Just order a set ahead of time to have on hand and you're good to go. I actually welded all the seams on mine instead of bolting it and it was pretty stout. For the top I used 3/4 plywood and coated it with truck bedliner to waterproof it.

Checkout this thread, very relevant and recent.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting close to 1000lb limit. I pulled a seadoo xp with a 95 Probe GT with no issues for 4 seasons up to 70-75 mph. 520 seadoo, 72 fuel, 100+ for the trailer = 700 ish lbs. 4 wheels mounted , jack, jack stands , couple fuel cans and other stuff plus the trailer might get you to 650. The biggest thing to remember is make sure you have the correct drop on your receiver and focus more weight on the front of the trailer to prevent sway. Weight on the back of the trailer will take you for a ride. I've seen it happen.
Thinking about the jet ski. You might even be able to find a jet ski trailer for cheap and throw a deck on it. They already have better wheels/bearings and a little longer. 6x4 you could get you extra space for a couple fuel cans and bolt down small tool box.

Checkout this thread, very relevant and recent.
Was actually talking to him a bit in a Facebook group about that exact trailer!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel