The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Towing Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are pros/ cons to everything, especially open/ closed trailers. For me, one of the benefits of the enclosed is that I can spend the night in it, but, as stated, the open allowed a lot more towing options. I never had an issue towing my open with an F150 crew cab, 4.6. The enclosed, with its extra weight and all the crap I throw in it... not so much.

There are pros/ cons to everything, especially open/ closed trailers. For me, one of the benefits of the enclosed is that I can spend the night in it, but, as stated, the open allowed a lot more towing options. I never had an issue towing my open with an F150 crew cab, 4.6. The enclosed, with its extra weight and all the crap I throw in it... not so much.
Understood. This will take some thinking on my behalf. Protection from rodents is important, but so is the tow vehicle being an economical daily driver.

On the road, towing an open trailer wins hands down. Storage and at the track, an enclosed trailer is best. The ability to close a door and lock up tools, computers, personal items has value.
I pulled an open trailer with a 2014 F150 V-6 and had no issues on the road. When I bought an enclosed trailer, I needed “More Power” just to pull at posted speed limits in high gear. The F150 Had to down shift to pull that massive metal Box through the air.

I am so glad I found you guys and this site. For a 23 year old trying to do his best and enjoy life, you have been a wealth of information and super kind. This helps me a ton. I have much to consider.

Hope this helps a little bit.... I had a 2003 F350 6.0 diesel that I towed my 24' box with. Including my car, tools, spares and such, the enclosed weighs a shade over 8000lbs. The dually never knew it was back there and got 10mpg hitched up or not. Fast foward to me getting a SO, who just HAD to have an RV. I trade dually in and have to get something that can move the trailer around besides the RV. I spec'd out a 2016 F-150 with the tow package AND payload package. These two together gives it 11,000 tow capacity (more than some 250's). Here's my words of wisdom....WEIGHT. If your trailer out weighs your truck, your truck will move it but CONTROL can be a 'white knuckle' affair. If your truck out weighs your trailer, you will have a much much better towing experience. My F-150 weighs 6000lbs and I've towed my trailer over 200 miles and I never go above 65mph (usually cruise about 57-60). RV has a 6.8L V-10 and it dies on hills, drops two gears if it sees a mound of dirt but the trailer does not push it around.

Sorry so long but hope this helps a little.....smart guy for asking questions!! Wish I had done more of that at a younger age....

I recently purchased a trailer and also went through hoops of information and decisions which was quite the learning curve if you haven't trailered before. Need to check truck towing capacity. Truck load, the trailer and car and extras. This forum was a great help and I also got some feedback from some guys at the track. I drove my car to the tracks for about 2 years and what a pain it was - taking all the tools, luggage and spare tires. I wanted to take a full set of spare tires (sometimes you don't know if it's going to rain or not) plus other additional items that would not fit in my Mustang. Since I was new in this arena of trailers I was advised to go open as it is less challenging to haul. I always book into a hotel/motel close to the track so enclosed was not necessary for me. I upgraded my Ranger to a F150 3.5L Hybrid and got a Aluminum trailer. I don't regret getting the open trailer and the F150 hauled it quite easily. I was advised (as some do here) that the 1/2 ton would struggle with the enclosed trailer. My decision was the best decision, for me. I can see the advantages of enclosed and possibly in a few years, I will sell the open trailer and F150 and upgrade to the F250 or F350. But for now I am happy as I do at least 10 track days per year.

IMG_8663.jpg

You can manage with an SUV or 1/2 ton with an open trailer. I towed a Cayman on an aluminum trailer with a V8 grand cherokee for a few years. F150 + open trailer is a really happy combo. I would suggest a nice 1/2ton with a camper shell + open trailer (steel is ok).

Any enclosed needs a 3/4 ton. Ram 3/4 tons are dimensionally the closest to a 1/2 ton in length, wheelbase, turning circle. We used one for several years. Fords and GMs are about 6" longer and drive larger. The HD trucks all have better brakes, as in they last 100k mi with towing.

Many of us spend more on the trucks than the racecar. If it is a DD and gets you to the track safely, in comfort and low stress, it is worth it.

I still don't have a tow vehicle, but a few years ago I was looking at the mid-90's to 2003 Ford Econoline van with 7.3 diesel. The full-size van gives you a good amount of enclosed secure space for equipment, and you can throw an air mattress down if you want to sleep at the track. This makes up for some of the downsides of an open trailer, so you can tow a lighter open trailer with the torque and mpg of the diesel. Unfortunately, time has not been kind to these vans, at least in the Northeast - pretty much every one I saw advertised had rust in the rockers. For an upscale pick, the 7.3 diesel was also offered in the Excursion, but it seems like a rare option and commands a premium price compared to the gas-engine version.

I am slowly realizing what this will take, and even worse realizing how expensive California insurance is on a truck...and I understand I should build the mustang and use it street/track.

Thank you so much for all this input...this is so helpful, and I am glad I made this thread so others can get this info.

Bless ya'll, and if you have tips for me to build this girl as far as possible and not kill myself on the roads, send me a dm please.

I am slowly realizing what this will take, and even worse realizing how expensive California insurance is on a truck...and I understand I should build the mustang and use it street/track.

Thank you so much for all this input...this is so helpful, and I am glad I made this thread so others can get this info.

Bless ya'll, and if you have tips for me to build this girl as far as possible and not kill myself on the roads, send me a dm please.
That’s understandable. But if you fall deeper into making it unbearable on the street then you may want to consider a second vehicle. You don’t have to dive into an “all or nothing” mentality if cost is a concern. Meaning you can buy a reliable inexpensive tow vehicle whether it be an older truck or SUV. Hold off on buying a trailer and just use Uhaul for $50 a day. When the time comes and the desire is still there then you can look into buying a trailer of your choice and a tow vehicle suited for it.

I’m still apartment living and don’t see myself owning a trailer anytime soon because of cost and I don’t want to pay to store it elsewhere. I bought the Ford tie down kit, Mac Straps, custom ramps and winch to make loading and security easier. I got tired getting to the track extra early to swap tires and unload the car.

If you find a good deal on a tow vehicle and can afford it then it may be something to really consider.

Just my two cents that may not even be worth that lol

IMG_4250.jpegIMG_4291.jpeg

"Many of us spend more on the trucks than the racecar. If it is a DD and gets you to the track safely, in comfort and low stress, it is worth it"

Amen to that
Trucks and trailers can be as expensive as you want them to be and can easily cost more than the cars they are hauling, but they don’t have to be. You just need to figure out what suits you and your budget.

Food for thought. If you look at government or state auctions. I recommend looking at the auctions in Commifornia. Our great DICKTATOR NEWSCUM made it illegal to resale the diesel powered govt' vehicles in the state. I know lots of contractors from out of state buying these perfectly good vehicles for pennies on the dollar.

I recently got a new F150 hybrid and it no-joke gets 23 mpg daily driving and is listed to have 14,000 lbs towing capacity. I haven't towed with it yet but I plan to go the U-Haul open trailer route.
I got the F150 3.5L Hybrid & had some concerns. But it had no problems towing my Mach1 on the 20ft deck open trailer. Trailer weight is about 1800lb. Only issue I can see with U-haul and others is approach angle. Mach1 with the double splitter is low. Even though my ramps are 8ft long, I had to get Race Ramps as well.

My tow rig is a 2020 F-150 super crew with the 3.5L, 10 speed. With the Futura aluminum open-deck trailer and the race car, I hardly know it’s back there. Since we moved back to Montana, I recently bought a travel trailer RV. 29’ total length, 5,626 lbs unloaded with a GVWR of 7,000. As many have noted, weight isn’t necessarily the issue with enclosed trailers - it’s the aero-drag of pulling a square box down the road, and even more so with a travel trailer. My last RV experience with a 2006 5.4L V8 was miserable at best. Gearing would’ve helped, but still just pulling a parachute. Not the case with the 3.5L. This thing will run out of suspension and brakes LONG before power is an issue.

@CobaltFilly - one thing to consider on insurance costs - if your Mustang gets too far down the “track only” slope, you can go through Hagerty for a base-coverage and transfer the savings towards your tow-vehicle/daily costs. I had to go California non-op for emissions reasons on my Mustang, so the coverage was for theft, damage during transit and in the paddock. Less than $500/yr for a preset replacement cost (which can include performance parts).

I'll back the F150 for towing. I pulled a 24ft travel trailer, 9000 lbs, probably 15-16,000 miles without a problem. I had a premium hitch, ProPride, 2018 F150 SuperCrew 3.5L 6.5ft box Max Tow. Pulled in the mountains just fine, no problem stopping. Mileage? 5-11 mpg, wind and speed. $30-35 dollars for Mobil 1oil and Motorcraft filter. I used premium when towing.

Food for thought. If you look at government or state auctions. I recommend looking at the auctions in Commifornia. Our great DICKTATOR NEWSCUM made it illegal to resale the diesel powered govt' vehicles in the state. I know lots of contractors from out of state buying these perfectly good vehicles for pennies on the dollar.

👀

I'm going to have to keep that site bookmarked - might find a deal on a cheap Coyote-powered F150.

I tow the Boss with a 2014 F150 Ecoboost (3.5L) SCREW w/ 6.5' bed. It's about 19 feet long and I have an 18 foot open trailer (steel frame with wood deck - 2000 lbs). This combination works great. The longer truck really yields stability in all circumstances. No issues at all with this setup. In the mountains I get 13mpg and on flat land I see 15-16 while towing. The truck is rated for 9900 lbs and I have towed 8000 with it no problem.

I use the truck for truck things and family hauling when not towing. I invested in a hard folding bed cover from Back Industries (Back Flip VP). This turns the bed into a giant lockable trunk. The open trailer is great for loading up just about anything. Renting small pieces of equipment like backhoes and excavators is something I do on occasion so the open trailer is a must.

As stated, whatever choice you go with these is always a compromise.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel