The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Towing Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
The Central Valley of California
I am finally turning the mustang into a track only car this winter. I will be looking into an 18ft enclosed trailer for it, and I need a new daily that can tow all this. I want an older truck or suv that could haul it, 15k max price hopefully?

Suggestions? 1994-2010 Ford F150 maybe?

I am young please be patient, thank you so much for the help. I know nothing of trucks/towing yet. Here to start learning!

For a enclosed trailer I would suggest a 3/4 ton truck. Not just because of the power but more importantly for the frame, suspension, and brakes.
Do you use one? Is there one you suggest that isn't so large that it would be impractical for daily use?

I would also highly recommend at least a 3/4 ton. Personally, I’m biased towards Ford. There are many many nice F250’s available. The only issue might be your budget, but it depends on what years you look at. I wouldn’t own anything other than a 6.7L diesel. Just do your research, and set up several search engines such as CarFax, Autotrader, CarGurus…

Something will pop up.

I've towed my 6Klb boat trailer with a 1994 1/2-ton 350cid Suburban, 1998 3/4-ton 454cid Suburban, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2015 5.7L Durango. Both Suburban's worked well, but struggled up hills - 454 was better. The Jeep's soft suspension was damn scary coming down curvy mountain hills unless driven very slowly. The Durango was barely OK.

I towed my 24' car trailer empty (3800 lbs) with my Durango once in a stiff side-wind - never again! The wind and the passing trucks yanked the back end of the Durango all over the road.

In 2018, at the urging of my uncles and cousins, I bought a 2017 3/4-ton Ram Diesel to use as a tow rig. It's totally spoiled me. I'll never use anything else. It feels as if there's no trailer behind me. Even climbing hills, the only way I can tell the trailer is attached is that the boost gauge goes up (and the gas gauge goes down!).

I think you could manage with an F150, but an F250 or another 3/4-ton would be well worth it for the tougher chassis & drivetrain and the improved towing experience. I'm brand agnostic, except I think 'Merican trucks still have an edge over the foreign ones when doing actual work. (I could be convinced otherwise.)

It would be great if you could score a vintage diesel. The engines can last much longer than gas and the drivetrains are generally stronger.

And I am slowly realizing it may be better to just turn this into racecar and drive it around, and maybe get a daily.

Truck, trailer, insurance on truck, registration on trailer, fuel as a daily driver, size for parking...

Hm.

After three Diesels, years back, I decided to switch over to a 2014 Ram 5.7 CrewCab for a better ride and parking when not using it to yank around a 26ft. trailer. Part of the issue was the price of diesel with 80% of my driving close to home and after going 80,000 miles with numerous trips to the East Coast, I moved up to a 22 Ram 5.7 CrewCab. I get anywhere from 8-10 mpg pulling a 24ft Enclosed trailer and I notice alot of guys doing the same at the track - plenty of 1/2 ton Rams, Fords, and GMs. I think the determining factor is how often you plan to drag your track machine around compared to how much you will be driving your truck for pleasure. My choice was based on everyday fuel costs, good ride and less cost, so you might consider these things in your overall analysis. Plus, if you are making mostly small trips ( say only 200-350 miles) to go to a track, I have to believe a F150 or similar will do a great job for you -- with an Ecoboost, 5.7 for a Ram, or a 6.2 Chevy/GMC.

Not towed a car; but for many years I towed a 4 ton boat (SeaRay cabin cruiser) with a 2008 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the Triton V8 (9,200 lb tow capacity rating). The Expedition is basically a large SUV on a F150 frame. I had no trouble towing and did fine with it, and it served double duty well as a daily driver and soccer mom family vehicle. Our grown son inherited it and it is still going strong at 240k miles. The only things I have had to replace on it besides normal consumables are the alternator and the starter. Amazingly it still has the original transmission (never been rebuilt yet) even though it was used all those years to tow that big boat.

I'll bet that you could buy a used one pretty dang cheap nowadays.

Last edited:
Have to agree on at the 20 ft. Enclosed trailer , though I am not so sure about the " Government Auctions " thoughts. 30 years in the business and I never worked at a Dealership that bothered with that type of auction. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Just something different than whats been said...a 5.7L tundra. I sold my 3rd gen 4runner(regrettably) and bought the tundra after my second track day lol. The tundra has been great. I have a 2010 and the only part that sucks is fuel consumption and tank size. You can upgrade to a larger tank though. You can get one well within your price range.

The 5.7 sequoia would be my SUV option (same engine as the tundra).

Last edited:
Just something different than whats been said...a 5.7L tundra. I sold my 2nd gen 4runner(regrettably) and bought the tundra after my second track day lol. The tundra has been great. I have a 2010 and the only part that sucks is fuel consumption and tank size. You can upgrade to a larger tank though. You can get one well within your price range.

The 5.7 sequoia would be my SUV option (same engine as the tundra).
Do you use a enclosed 20ft trailer? I was considering a 5.7 sequoia but wasn't sure if it could handle it.

Do you use an enclosed 20ft trailer? I was considering a 5.7 sequoia but wasn't sure if it could handle it.
I definitely skipped over that part lol. 3/4 is the way to go then. You could pull with the sequoia but it’ll have to be an aluminum enclosed and you’ll notice it whereas that won’t be the case with a 3/4 ton

Open and enclosed trailers each have there advantages and disadvantages. I tow on a 20ft aluminum open trailer with my old Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. It is easy to load and tie down and at 80mph you don’t know the car is back there. 😀

Open and enclosed trailers each have there advantages and disadvantages. I tow on a 20ft aluminum open trailer with my old Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. It is easy to load and tie down and at 80mph you don’t know the car is back

Go to project supertrailer for some of the trials and tribulations I experienced.
When you buy an enclosed, get at least a 24 footer.
With towing, wheelbase is your friend, so are 4 wheel disc brakes and horsepower, but wheelbase is vital. My 2010 F150 (4.6) would be OK in Florida , but definately no habla anywhere they have hills. So at least a 5.4.
Government auctions are a good resource, many cities buy minimalist trucks, and they have a maintenance record, the old V10s, are still around and we're actually pretty dependable, they put a bunch of those in RVs. You might try finding one of those.

Why does it need to be an enclosed trailer? The tow options are much better with an open aluminum trailer. I agree with most above that 3/4 ton is needed for an enclosed.
Main reason was it will be stored out at a friend's farm property in the hills, and I was thinking it could act as double protectant from rats.

But maybe an exposed aluminum trailer is best so I can get a 1/2 ton truck like an F150 or the even better Seqouia that would save me a bit of daily driving gas.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel