The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Track Hammer Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool build and just wondering with the cage and the small 275s are you planning on running this in AI ( American Iron ) in NASA? Thanks for posting and I hope you get some " Hammer Time " at the track soon.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Sil Spg MD
Cool build and just wondering with the cage and the small 275s are you planning on running this in AI ( American Iron ) in NASA? Thanks for posting and I hope you get some " Hammer Time " at the track soon.
Thanks! Running SCCA Touring 2 class (specs), so factory drivetrain w/safety eqpt, no cats, etc. When we built the car the limit before penalty was 285 (they were expensive & I was 'green', so I went 275's), now I'm ready to deal w/the ding in weight and go 305's LOL. But first...gotta get the motor back together (dropped a valve & broke a connecting rod bolt last year :-( )

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Sil Spg MD
@Bill Pemberton ...I'm really interested in the hood you spoke of on your (previous/current?) car....said it's a heat extractor from Anderson Composites? Which hood is it? Do you have any pics? I went to their site and they have 2-3 hoods, but you said the one you had worked really really good......I'm learning (the hard way) that I've got to do better at controlling oil temps....

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You can also contact Jonathan Blevins at Chicane23.com and he can help you out. The hood I had on my 21 Mach 1 was a GT 500 one, if that helps?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
@Bill Pemberton ...I'm really interested in the hood you spoke of on your (previous/current?) car....said it's a heat extractor from Anderson Composites? Which hood is it? Do you have any pics? I went to their site and they have 2-3 hoods, but you said the one you had worked really really good......I'm learning (the hard way) that I've got to do better at controlling oil temps....
Steve, ever thought about adding an oil cooler? or too much weight?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Sil Spg MD
Steve, ever thought about adding an oil cooler? or too much weight?
Yeah...got an oil cooler...Mishimoto...got it years ago before I really started pushing the car. Now running into heat problems, and then reading/learning and realizing things like, I shouldn't have gotten the Mishimoto. So, I'm starting over...a little bit. Heat management, GT500 oil pan high up on the list

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Yeah...got an oil cooler...Mishimoto...got it years ago before I really started pushing the car. Now running into heat problems, and then reading/learning and realizing things like, I shouldn't have gotten the Mishimoto. So, I'm starting over...a little bit. Heat management, GT500 oil pan high up on the list
Only other things I can think of are vented hood, bigger oil cooler and ducting the air to the radiator

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just in case, Check you oil lines on the cooler! you need 12-AN not 10-AN

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I was having temp issues. Started with a fluidyne radiator, higher flow water pump, and Gt500 fan set up. Didn’t see much improvement. Then added a Cervini grill to let in more air and still didn’t see any real improvement. Cut the hood and installed Race Louvres and temps dropped significantly on hot days. Getting air in doesn’t help if it has no where to go. An oil cooler was my next step but it doesn’t look like I’m going to need it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, planning on switching to 12-AN as well.....lol, once again, wish I had known this putting everything together the first time, but oh well, live and learn.
I know its a Pain! the 12-AN is harder to get to fit. Make sure you avoid sharp 90 degree fittings etc.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
Yup, planning on switching to 12-AN as well.....lol, once again, wish I had known this putting everything together the first time, but oh well, live and learn.
I’m thinking about track cooling, but I’m worried about daily use. Is it worth just doing the sandwich plate and the oil cooler and leaving my bigger PP1 radiator stock? Or will the compromise not be enough for cooling the car when pushed?

TMO Supporting Vendors