The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen2 Tracking upgrades for GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Seattle
So I have a big upgrade with all necessary internals to make reliable 1000whp, driving as my daily. That is huge for straight line races.
Track performance is however a different story, obviously. The additional upgrades I have helping is lighter wheels (Signature wheel), wider tires (Toyo r888r 305/325) and aero (AR front splitter that dropped the clearance by about 1.5” and a rear diffuser). I see a lot of discussions on upgrading the suspension for better track performance but I wanted to approach this holistically and ask the community to help with a general question:

Given I have a budget of $30k, what upgrades should I make to improve track performance of the car and since I am not competent doing the upgrades, what businesses in Seattle area you recommend who could help with that?
I want to avoid making radical changes that would impact the comfort of daily driving, e.g. changing anything in the interior, weight reductions that would force me to compromise something else etc..

P.S. I know the biggest gains will come from me becoming a better driver :)

IMG_0635.jpeg

@armphoenix there is a reason a lot of us are referring AJ and not your local guy. I'm a proponent of supporting local and smaller businesses but there is a saying. Do it right and do it once.

I can tell you of the other guys splitter failing and on a friend car, taking your money and not delivering from months, and lack of customer service.

If you want a GT4 wang though, MMR has one that is pretty solid. I have one on my shitstang with the middle sized uprights. I am still sorting out the front aero but at 0 degrees AOA the care is still balanced with the R splitter and canards.

View attachment 97625
Oh we dont even wanna talk about the 6-24month lead times from AR…..lmao.

Those Gt4 parts are getting pricey, I was thinking the aftermarket should be creating knock offs pretty soon, hopefully with the same quality as factory. In the meantime try Dean at Kohr, or Capaldi. Those Gt4s are basically just a Gt350 nose with some zoomy add on, the fenders are vented and that could be duplicated by a decent fabman.. like @Fabman , the whole idea is that all the aero is wind tunnel tested and proven to work, and with the Gt350 nose you are already 40% there.

So I have a big upgrade with all necessary internals to make reliable 1000whp, driving as my daily. That is huge for straight line races.
Track performance is however a different story, obviously. The additional upgrades I have helping is lighter wheels (Signature wheel), wider tires (Toyo r888r 305/325) and aero (AR front splitter that dropped the clearance by about 1.5” and a rear diffuser). I see a lot of discussions on upgrading the suspension for better track performance but I wanted to approach this holistically and ask the community to help with a general question:

Given I have a budget of $30k, what upgrades should I make to improve track performance of the car and since I am not competent doing the upgrades, what businesses in Seattle area you recommend who could help with that?
I want to avoid making radical changes that would impact the comfort of daily driving, e.g. changing anything in the interior, weight reductions that would force me to compromise something else etc..

P.S. I know the biggest gains will come from me becoming a better driver :)

View attachment 97453
If you want to upgrade track performance easily and quickly, buy Hoosier R7s and you will see a 2 second laptime improvement over those Toyos. No other bolt on will give you gains like that. Second method is driver coaching, a good coach that works with data is probably $500-600 a weekend and they will find all the areas of improvement right away. After that weight, get weight out of the car and it will be accelerate faster, corner better and stop quicker. Simple stuff like lightweight battery, rear seat removal, strut brace removal, trunk junk removal can add up to significant weight.

Alright alright I heard enough, AJ wing it is :)
I also had to do some chasing but I thought all the custom gear makers are going to be like that, since they are not mainstream and don’t have a streamlined process..
Tire-wise, F1 supercar 3r seems like a good choice, haven’t looked into the Hoosier ones, will take a look.

Alright alright I heard enough, AJ wing it is :)
I also had to do some chasing but I thought all the custom gear makers are going to be like that, since they are not mainstream and don’t have a streamlined process..
Tire-wise, F1 supercar 3r seems like a good choice, haven’t looked into the Hoosier ones, will take a look.
Hopefully compatible with all the other stuff on the car. I like AJs stuff, it's top tier, but it still has to be able to work with the front of the car for balance. Hopefully, he has a " kit" for your car front and back, including hood and fender vents. If not, you're gonna find yourself in a potential world of crap, experimenting on the track to make it all work.
That's why I say, just buy the Gt4 stuff and be done with it. Unless you own a wind tunnel.

Those Gt4 parts are getting pricey, I was thinking the aftermarket should be creating knock offs pretty soon, hopefully with the same quality as factory. In the meantime try Dean at Kohr, or Capaldi. Those Gt4s are basically just a Gt350 nose with some zoomy add on, the fenders are vented and that could be duplicated by a decent fabman.. like @Fabman , the whole idea is that all the aero is wind tunnel tested and proven to work, and with the Gt350 nose you are already 40% there.
Late Model Restoration just released a new GT350 style bumper for 2015-2017...absolutely perfect timing since I need a new bumper anyways...but how about quality?

Thisssssss……My 350 motor is stone stock, stock tune, i shift at 7500, i use amsoil and change frequently. I have the oil balancing lines on the rear heads, wait til 180* to go out, plugs every season.

So far so good for 5 yrs
Same here, except I got 1kwhp
@armphoenix he absolutely does not do any real wind tunnel testing. There are well documented pictures of billy johnson and chuck from middletons wings exploding on track alomst killing them at 150mph. I would never run his wing for a safety stand point. I sold mine the same day i heard about the failures.

Go try this with an archetype wing. Thats AJ standing on the very edge of his on a carbon fiber trunk mind you.

Archetype is stuff for parking lot warriors, not real track cars

View attachment 97597
Billy johnsons test car

View attachment 97598I know 3 more whose wings did that
The thing is, with her being my daily driver, I don’t want her to look “ugly”, I want the esthetics to still be there.. Ideally, I will find something that does the job and looks nice too. The one here is a different design language and doesn’t go well with her IMO

I wouldnt trust that any of the GT4 equipment would be 100% compatible with that. Also, while the GT4 equipment is balanced, it's built to a specific rule set and doesn't mean its the 100% best solution available.
Perhaps I will go this route then. I like the extra side cooling for brakes/I could do an external trans oil cooler there similar to 350? Thoughts?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel