The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whipple Supercharged GT350 Grenaded Tremec (aftermath video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The video says the clutch exploded. So it looks like the Tremec is not the weak link.

The video says the clutch exploded. So it looks like the Tremec is not the weak link.
Not so sure I believe the narrator on that... looking at the video the flywheel looks to be intact... tell me if I'm wrong but the big damage looks to be around the bellhousing?

Plus ... a clutch, "exploding?" I've heard of parts flying off but causing a grenade like that? I'd think it'd have to be a clutch from Wish.com!

Ask Big Daddy Don Garlits about exploding clutches

looking at the video the flywheel looks to be intact
There's a reason you can even see the flywheel.... because the clutch is no longer on it haha. Clutch discs failing is basically a fragmentation grenade inside the bellhousing and no matter how nice the transmission is cast aluminum isn't going to withstand that and shards can even make it into the cabin. I think it's usually when a rivet securing the material onto the hub lets go and it's a cascading failure from there. You can find a bunch of pictures and videos online. Part of the reason that steel SFI-rated bellhousings exist for serious abuse applications.

There's a reason you can even see the flywheel.... because the clutch is no longer on it haha. Clutch discs failing is basically a fragmentation grenade inside the bellhousing and no matter how nice the transmission is cast aluminum isn't going to withstand that and shards can even make it into the cabin. I think it's usually when a rivet securing the material onto the hub lets go and it's a cascading failure from there. You can find a bunch of pictures and videos online. Part of the reason that steel SFI-rated bellhousings exist for serious abuse applications.
Interesting.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel