The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wider Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
2019 Bullitt with stock Michelin Pilot Sport 42 tires. They have 10 track days and 7000 miles on them. The front outside edge of tread is gone ft left and ft right almost gone. The larger rear tires still have some outside tread left. The center of the tire is fine. Front 255/40 Rear 275/40 stock. Two questions. 1. I was told to go 'square' with 285/35 all the way around. Will it fit (front)? Is that a better track set up? Of course it would be easier to have only one spare.

Question 2: Don't laugh. Is it crazy to put the stock wider tires 275/40 on the front, they still have edge tread left for another two track days and put the fronts on back? Is that asking for trouble? I suppose Ford puts the fat ones in back for a reason?

I'm an intermediate driver and I'd like to get as much as possible from the tires before springing for a new set.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The most easily doable track setup is 11" wheels all around with 305/30/19 tires, you'll need a spacer on the front of around 20 to 25 mm. Apex wheels are a kind of go to choice for track work, though there are other brands around that also work.

These cars are front heavy and push as a result, having smaller tires on the front just exacerbates the problem. Staggered setups with these cars are only for aesthetics and even that's questionable. They also have lots of power, and running a 255 on the rear on track is probably going to be way more than a handful, definitely not a good idea.

If you're concerned about spending money on the car you're probably choosing the wrong hobby, cheap and track days do not go well together. If you got 10 track days out of the stock tires you did very well, time to get a proper square setup and up your game.

Not trying to be a dick, but you can seriously get killed doing things like like what you're suggesting. Understeer (push) is easily handled, oversteer not so much unless you're a pro drifter. Running small worn out tires on the back will make that car dangerous for the average driver.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Depending on your budget a square set up with larger tires, all the way around, is the way to go as suggested above by TMO members. A square set up means you really need to invest in a set of wheels that are an equal fit front and back. I agree with JDee that the optimal size is an 11 inch wheel, but depending on your funds, I would go with at least a 10 inch wheel.
In case you find JDee's comment confusing I believe he is referring to putting the 285s on front and using 275s on the rear. Just clarifying in case you were thinking of getting new tires 285s or wider just for the rear and using the 285s for the front ---- whereas we would all jump in and tell you not to use really old, heat cycled out tires with new ones.

Either way you can go larger, get the same tire size all the way around, and hopefully you are looking at getting anoteher set of wheels?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Great advice already given. Get yourself another set of wheels and run a square set-up. I did run 305 30 19 front and 315 30 19 rear Cup2's. I pulled them off my car with 1100 street miles and mounted on 19 x 11 Apex setup and they were excellent. My budget didn't allow for tires but, I figured a set of staggered Cup2s on would be very close to how the car was configured from Ford. I pulled them off after 2 track weekends and went to the same tire on all four corners...now my Cup2s collect dust in my garage. I would have Never put the 315s up front with 305s in the rear.

I see a fair amount of staggered takeoffs Cup2s for sale that are takeoffs form Mach1's and 350s, although not ideal this may be an option to start but, ONLY if the size falls within guidelines for a 11" wide wheel. If I'm wrong please someone chime in. This is just my opinion.

TMO Supporting Vendors