The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey that's great Ed! This is really shaping up to be a great event. I'm sitting in the Detroit airport right now. Too bad no time for a Ford plant tour. Can't wait to get home and load up the Boss and head to MPH Wednesday afternoon!

I have a couple things to deal with before I get back on track.

One item is new brake pads. I managed to work the brakes pretty hard this weekend, and the factory rear pads left a ton of deposits on the big Baer rotors my last session. I was chasing a little BMW 3 series AWD turbo with R compounds around the track the last session. We left the rest of the pack way behind, but I couldn't quite keep up with her the last couple laps as my street tires heated up and started to slip more. That's right, I got beat by a girl. :eek:

So I'm also trying to decide if I upgrade tires before September. The ones I have are at least 2 sizes too narrow for track duty, and I'm thinking of trying the Hankook Ventus street tire, as it's a little bit softer than my current Nitto NT05s. I'd kind of like to see how well I can do on street tires before going to a nice sticky R compound. It is fun outrunning the cars with R compounds. ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Streets before R-compounds is a good idea. R-compounds hide a lot of bad habits. Harder to hide with noisy street tires.

I like the following lower tread wear street tires:
Hankook R-S3
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Yokohama AD08

These are all closer to 140 treadwear, handle well and don't mind the heat generated by the track runs.

See you in Hastings!

JScheier said:
Streets before R-compounds is a good idea. R-compounds hide a lot of bad habits. Harder to hide with noisy street tires.

Hankook R-S3
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Yokohama AD08

These are all closer to 140 treadwear, handle well and don't mind the heat generated by the track runs.

See you in Hastings!
Are any of those available in the stock Boss tire sizes?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
5 DOT 0 said:

The yokohama AD08 has some sizes that are close in 19". Also add Bridgestone RE-11 which has 19" sizes that are about spot on.

I didn't really look at 19s as I will be running 18s since they are lighter and offer (currently) a larger range of sizes.

JScheier said:
5 DOT 0 said:

The yokohama AD08 has some sizes that are close in 19". Also add Bridgestone RE-11 which has 19" sizes that are about spot on.

I didn't really look at 19s as I will be running 18s since they are lighter and offer (currently) a larger range of sizes.
Thanks. If I get serious about tracking my car I'll move to 18's. I'll use the Hankook V12's for my first set on the stock rims and go from there.

The event at Hastings should be a blast. I should fly out and bum rides off everyone. ;)

JScheier said:

Hankook R-S3
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Yokohama AD08

See you in Hastings!

By the way John, thanks for your seat time and instruction last weekend, and thanks for the rides in the Boss. 8)

5 DOT 0 said:
JScheier said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Thanks. If I get serious about tracking my car I'll move to 18's. I'll use the Hankook V12's for my first set on the stock rims and go from there.

The event at Hastings should be a blast. I should fly out and bum rides off everyone. ;)
Only if you're ready to go "flat out" :p

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Go with the AD08 over the Star Spec or RE11. The Bridgestone over heats on heavy cars and the Star Spec feels mushy. AD08 on 18 rims with 295/30 18, which are 11.5" wide, And 265/35 18 on front. You will think somebody sent you r comps by mistake. :)

Peter

98RedGT

2012 #552
Hasting, NE is pretty close to me but I don't have my Boss yet and I am pretty sure it won't be here by end of September. How about spectators?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
98RedGT said:
Hasting, NE is pretty close to me but I don't have my Boss yet and I am pretty sure it won't be here by end of September. How about spectators?

Come on out. If you have a helmet, bring it (and some long pants just in case).

98RedGT

2012 #552
I will make an effort to make it out. What's the cost for this?

Checked out MPH website and that's a very nice place. The schedule showed Mustang/Ford Roundup on 23rd, 24th and 25th, is this correct?

23rd 6PM Super Screen Theater Reception - Mustang/Ford
24th 1st Annual Mustang/Ford Roundup
24th Mustang/Ford Auto Cross AM
24th 1PM Mustang Driving School until 6PM & Open Track
24th Mustang/Ford BBQ in Clubhouse from 6PM-9PM
24th Mustang/Ford Night Drag Racing Challenge 7PM-9PM
25th Who's The BOSS of the Mustang's - Timed Racing
"Top Wrangler" Awarded the Best Mustang Drivers!

98RedGT

2012 #552
yeah I should have read your entire initial post, sorry ;D

I will let you know if I can make it as it gets closer to the date. Is the payment due at the track the day of?

I don't have any track experience so the opportunity to go through some classroom and instructor assistance would be very helpful.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Here is the link for the Mustang Round Up. I believe payment is due before, but a quick call to George or Casey (numbers at the bottom of that link) should clarify that.

FWIW, I've got a new set of tires coming in (285x35x18 Hankook RS-3) and wheels (18x9.5) and camber plates (Vorshlag)... so I'll be ready to play and help Gary get that 1:39 ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel