The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2019 Bullitt engine ticking sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
2019 Bullitt with 15k miles. I track it 2-3 weekends per year. Manual/book says to run 5w 30 oil for track. Not practical for me to change oil between 5w20 street and 5w30 track, so I was told it's ok to run 5w30 all the time, just warm up the engine good before going out, and I do. The car only gets several thousand miles per year, well within standard oil life. I use Ford oil/filters etc.

Now I notice when I drive the car a slight ticking sound under the hood between 2500 - 3200 rpm. It sounds like engine valve or tappit...??? not loud but consistent and I didn't notice that sound earlier in the car's life. The sound is not very loud at all, maybe only owner/driver would notice. Is there a valve adjustment or some maintenance I need to get done? Is it bad running 5w30 all the time? Is the sound something else, I read here sometimes belts make ticking sound? Unfortunately, I don't have mechanical skills for this and I'm 99.9% sure a Ford dealer service person would know nothing... they generally aren't helpful on cases like this.

Love the car and I don't want this to turn into something big.... or maybe its nothing?!

Thanks in advance for any info.

There is also a sound that's believed to be a type of resonance between 2-3k rpm when the fuel system on the gen3's transitions from DI to port injection. It can sound like valvetrain or even rod knocking type sound depending on the car and the person hearing it.

Also you can run 5w50, which ford specs for the GT500. As you do now, just make sure you warm up the engine sufficiently. I shoot for 160* oil temp minimum before flogging. Maybe try this and see if the ticking is the same.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
In these engines, are there valve adjustments, or maintenance that can address this or is it major engine work, or is it electronic tuning?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
There is also a sound that's believed to be a type of resonance between 2-3k rpm when the fuel system on the gen3's transitions from DI to port injection. It can sound like valvetrain or even rod knocking type sound depending on the car and the person hearing it.

Also you can run 5w50, which ford specs for the GT500. As you do now, just make sure you warm up the engine sufficiently. I shoot for 160* oil temp minimum before flogging. Maybe try this and see if the ticking is the same.
Thank for info. I may try 5w50. Just nervous to do anything out side of the manual.....

Thank for info. I may try 5w50. Just nervous to do anything out side of the manual.....

Yeah as said above its a current recommendation for the Mach1, and in prior GT owner's manuals.

My used oil analysis with M1 5w50 after 5 track days was still stellar. Blackstone said I still had lots of life left.

TMO Supporting Vendors