The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

High Compression Engine Break-In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
Currently waiting on my new engine from RPG. Looking for experience/opinions with breaking in high compression builds and which fuel to use. I've read/heard from the engine builder not to use E85 for break in as it can "wash out" the cylinders, less lubricative than gasoline and you want a decent amount of heat and obviously e85 burns cooler. Both Lund and RPG have said 93 for break in should be no issue. And I trust them, just cant help but to be a little timid because of what I read online regarding the need for high octane for high compression engines. Will 93 be fine? Full build is below.

New Ford Gen 3 Voodoo 5.2L Block
– Block is Line honed, decked and Honed with Dual Torque
Plates.
– New Ford GT350 5.2L flat-Plane Crankshaft, Micro
polished.
– RPG Specific Pistons 3.701" Bore 12.8:1CR
– Manley/ Oliver I Beam Connecting Rods with ARP2000
Bolts
– Total Seal Piston Rings
– Clevite Coated Rod and Main Bearings
– ARP Main Studs and Side Bolts
Frankenstein Ported Heads
PAC-1281X Valve Spring Upgrade
Boundary Billet Black Series/Ported OPGs and Boundary
Grip Timing Sprocket
2015+ GT350 Balance Tubes for full oil flow between
Cylinder heads and Coolant Cross over line between Cylinder Heads
Stainless Works Headers
ID 1050x Injectors
JLT Intake

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Currently waiting on my new engine from RPG. Looking for experience/opinions with breaking in high compression builds and which fuel to use. I've read/heard from the engine builder not to use E85 for break in as it can "wash out" the cylinders, less lubricative than gasoline and you want a decent amount of heat and obviously e85 burns cooler. Both Lund and RPG have said 93 for break in should be no issue. And I trust them, just cant help but to be a little timid because of what I read online regarding the need for high octane for high compression engines. Will 93 be fine? Full build is below.

New Ford Gen 3 Voodoo 5.2L Block
– Block is Line honed, decked and Honed with Dual Torque
Plates.
– New Ford GT350 5.2L flat-Plane Crankshaft, Micro
polished.
– RPG Specific Pistons 3.701" Bore 12.8:1CR
– Manley/ Oliver I Beam Connecting Rods with ARP2000
Bolts
– Total Seal Piston Rings
– Clevite Coated Rod and Main Bearings
– ARP Main Studs and Side Bolts
Frankenstein Ported Heads
PAC-1281X Valve Spring Upgrade
Boundary Billet Black Series/Ported OPGs and Boundary
Grip Timing Sprocket
2015+ GT350 Balance Tubes for full oil flow between
Cylinder heads and Coolant Cross over line between Cylinder Heads
Stainless Works Headers
ID 1050x Injectors
JLT Intake
How was a hone done with torque plates? the factory hone or was a finish hone ran after delivery of the block?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
Run a blend of 93 octane and Sunoco 260 GT 100 octane?
Great idea, Lunds 93 tune wont be affected right? Having a higher octane doesnt matter (to an extent) but a lower octane rating than the tune calls for is an issue correct?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Burnsville, autocross, Dakota County Tech has a track that we autocross at, also State fairgrounds parking lot we run at, would love to drive the track at BIR sometime. Good luck with that new engine, looks like a stout build. Love the wail of these engines.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
Burnsville, autocross, Dakota County Tech has a track that we autocross at, also State fairgrounds parking lot we run at, would love to drive the track at BIR sometime. Good luck with that new engine, looks like a stout build. Love the wail of these engines.
You have to make it out to Karmageddon (formerly know as Proving Grounds) September 8-10. Autocross, Roadcourse, Drag racing, drifting, car show, concert, and food. Blast of a weekend

TMO Supporting Vendors