The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Break-In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Minnesota
I've come to the conclusion that a proper break-in involves putting the motor under load withing the first 10 minutes of start-up. From everything I've read it seems this comes with the most success and least side effects (glazing from idling too long or revving without the car under load). Question is how do you do this without having to wait for the thermostat to open and let all the coolant flow through the system? The car has to get up to temp for that to happen which would require idling or revving a bit no?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I've come to the conclusion that a proper break-in involves putting the motor under load withing the first 10 minutes of start-up. From everything I've read it seems this comes with the most success and least side effects (glazing from idling too long or revving without the car under load). Question is how do you do this without having to wait for the thermostat to open and let all the coolant flow through the system? The car has to get up to temp for that to happen which would require idling or revving a bit no?
This topic seems to bring as many opinions as “what brand oil should I use?” I chose to follow the Mahle break-in instructions since I used their pistons & rings - link below.

1. Prime the oil system. I used the oil pressure port on the oil cooler adapter - fed with a Motive Power Fill. This was done on the engine stand with the cam covers off so I could see the oil was flowing through the entire valvetrain, but can be done at any point before 1st start.

2. Their instructions say to fire the engine as quickly as possible. On the Mustangs, if you hold the throttle to the floor while cranking, it allows the engine to build oil pressure without starting. As soon as you release the pedal, the car should fire. Not exactly as their instructions read, but I think they’re more concerned about a no-start situation that could fuel wash the cylinders.

3. Once it fires, go immediately to 25-35% of max rpm and hold steady to make sure everything is stable. If everything is OK, then varied RPM’s between 25-35% of max rpm for 15-30 mins

4. Ring seating under load. There’s instructions for street or dyno. I went with dyno, going through the part throttle pull sequence and working up to WOT redline. (Yes, major pucker on the first WOT pull!)

Still too early to tell on longevity, but ring seat is good with no blow by after the first few track days.

https://www.us.mahle.com/media/usa/motorsports/mms-break-in-recommended-procedure-web.pdf

TMO Supporting Vendors