The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
Took it to the drag strip last saturday. No Lockout at all this time!!! Was getting 1-2 lockout last time. Couldn't believe how smooth the car shifted throughout my runs. Was able to do a lot better...Thank you Steve!!!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the weighted ball is worth a try. might react like the heavy factory driveshaft does to quiet drivetrain noise?

808Boss said:
Took it to the drag strip last saturday. No Lockout at all this time!!! Was getting 1-2 lockout last time. Couldn't believe how smooth the car shifted throughout my runs. Was able to do a lot better...Thank you Steve!!!
Hey Jeff, I had the same 1-2 shift lock out and grind at the dragstrip last month. It got worse so I took it in to get checked out and there is a tsb for it. Long story short, after pulling the tranny apart, the teeth on the gear was chewed almost half off, the fork bearings in the plate were mush, and the synchros were gone. My car is still up on the hoist waiting for the additional 6 parts they had to order above what the tsb calls for. I am deffinately getting this shifter bracket so that this doesnt happen again. Just thought you might want to know.

Any update on potential fix to reduce vibration with stock shifter ?

I have removed mine from the car because of this vibration and rattle...

Dineau said:
Any update on potential fix to reduce vibration with stock shifter ?

I have removed mine from the car because of this vibration and rattle...
The vibration will probably stay since every solid mounted shifter that I know of vibrates, but the rattle being gone would be nice.

WJBertrand said:
Do you have a link?
This is the one I bought. It is the same thread pitch as our Mustang.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M12-X-1-25-FORD-FOCUS-HEAVY-WEIGHTED-STEEL-1LB-MANUAL-SHIFT-SHIFTER-KNOB-BALL-/171229503144?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27de12dea8&vxp=mtr

Jason said:
Hey Jeff, I had the same 1-2 shift lock out and grind at the dragstrip last month. It got worse so I took it in to get checked out and there is a tsb for it. Long story short, after pulling the tranny apart, the teeth on the gear was chewed almost half off, the fork bearings in the plate were mush, and the synchros were gone. My car is still up on the hoist waiting for the additional 6 parts they had to order above what the tsb calls for. I am deffinately getting this shifter bracket so that this doesnt happen again. Just thought you might want to know.

Jason, I took mine to the dealer and I could not get it to lockout with the heavy line tech in the car. I could have, but would have to of speed-shifted to do it and the service manager said they can't do anything for me.

Could you let me know what the TSB number is for this? The bracket btw cured most of the 1-2 lock-outs, but I still get a grind even with the bracket occasionally if I really speed-shift fast.

I had the Blowfish bracket installed today. I already had the MGW and Whiteline insert. I have not seen under the car since the dealer installed it for me but I asked the tech to install the stiffer MGW race bushing. I will guess that it is in there as well. He's a good tech based on the work he's done so far.

In a word, the Blowfish bracket is TRANSFORMATIVE. I love being able to shift the car without flinching for the first time in two years. I do not notice any additional NVH. The MGW shifts smoother, easier and more accurately that it ever has. If I keep my hand on the shifter as I'm driving, I can feel the vibration but you know what? When engine RPM changes, so does the vibration. It's like a direct connection to the car. I would say that any change in NVH is entirely of the positive kind.

I humbly suggest that to those who have the vibration and rattle with the stock shifter, that the MGW is the answer to that. I am 100% satisfied with this combination.

Boss0960 that's good to hear. I installed my MGW Shifter last weekend with the street bushing. I wanted to wait a week or so before the BF Bracket just to make sure the MGW wasn't adding to any additional NVH.

I plan on installing the BF Bracket this weekend but not sure yet on street or race bushing.

Boss0960 said:
I had the Blowfish bracket installed today. I already had the MGW and Whiteline insert. I have not seen under the car since the dealer installed it for me but I asked the tech to install the stiffer MGW race bushing. I will guess that it is in there as well. He's a good tech based on the work he's done so far.

In a word, the Blowfish bracket is TRANSFORMATIVE. I love being able to shift the car without flinching for the first time in two years. I do not notice any additional NVH. The MGW shifts smoother, easier and more accurately that it ever has. If I keep my hand on the shifter as I'm driving, I can feel the vibration but you know what? When engine RPM changes, so does the vibration. It's like a direct connection to the car. I would say that any change in NVH is entirely of the positive kind.

I humbly suggest that to those who have the vibration and rattle with the stock shifter, that the MGW is the answer to that. I am 100% satisfied with this combination.

Bullitt 3309 said:
This is the one I bought. It is the same thread pitch as our Mustang.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M12-X-1-25-FORD-FOCUS-HEAVY-WEIGHTED-STEEL-1LB-MANUAL-SHIFT-SHIFTER-KNOB-BALL-/171229503144?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27de12dea8&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

skwerl

tree hugger
Calif boss302 said:
Boss0960 that's good to hear. I installed my MGW Shifter last weekend with the street bushing. I wanted to wait a week or so before the BF Bracket just to make sure the MGW wasn't adding to any additional NVH.

I plan on installing the BF Bracket this weekend but not sure yet on street or race bushing.
I have the street bushing in mine but can't see where it could make a whole lot of difference. The stock shifters don't have a bushing at all and those are the ones that seem to have the most issues with vibration and noise. Even the softer MGW bushing is pretty darn stiff so when you combine it with the BF bracket there isn't any slop at all.

skwerl said:
The stock shifters don't have a bushing at all and those are the ones that seem to have the most issues with vibration and noise.

I'm starting to think that this is the problem with stock shifter. In the stock configuration, I suspect Ford used a negligible amount of bushing material in the stock bracket so that the shifter could rotate somewhat freely with the transmission's rotation. With the Blowfish bracket, the opposite is true. You do not want the shifter to move much at all. You want to hold it firmly in place but isolate vibration. I think a very tight fitting, poly bushing on the stock shifter post might solve the issue.

Calif boss302 said:

I took my Boss for a good long run tonight. I can barely remember what it was like stock anymore but I think I might be getting more mechanical noise in the car than when it was stock. It's probably not so much that I don't notice any more noise but more that I enjoy it so much. It would be hard for me to isolate one particular cause of any noise in the car right now, between the Whiteline bushing, MGW, Blowfish bracket and poly bushing LCAs. Right now, the car is just better. Better handling, better shifting. Better sounding. I love it.

Looks like ford followed Steve's footsteps with the new MT82!

9-2015-Mustang-GT-Drive-1024x683.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Nope, that's a demo. I assure you, the 2015's DEFINITELY using a semi-remote. Ford doubled down on that design...works for me;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The big aluminum box is not part of the factory mount. I have the ford repair manual. I will clip a pic to show you what the 2015 will really look like in the morning.

That's great for you, Steve!
From SVTP's article, sounds like now they have return springs in the shifter assembly, so your bracket will work even better!

TMO Supporting Vendors