The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Not directly... :)

Here's a video of one of the races from this weekend. This is raw footage that will be cut together to show telemetry and a driver camera at some point in the future. Some sloppy driving at points but I'm still just getting back in the saddle.

The car is going to be very competitive in the intended class next year.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/a_x5mxxjNDA[/youtube]

It really came out great, very professional looking. I have been avoiding reading this thread in depth so I don't get more ideas about more stuff to tear mine and more things I need to buy.

Everything is looking great. I am sooooo jealous.
I miss racing a lot. At the time, I was ready to slow down and take it easy. Now I look back and have no idea why I stopped. ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Thanks guys!

Scott I'm guessing you probably already have all the stuff I've got on my car!
Speaking of which, I need to crack open the breather can and see how much oil has collected in there, if any, after the last race.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Another note of interest to many of the track dogs here is that I did not have any CEL, Limp Mode, Misfire, or Over-Temp etc all weekend despite being around 90*F during the hottest parts of the day.

We're only at 1200' elevation or so down here but I think this is a good sign.

This is after installing:
AED Tune
CJ Pulse Ring
OEM Replacement Crank Position Sensor
FRPP Oil Cooler
302S Grille
AC Condenser Removed

ArizonaGT said:
Another note of interest to many of the track dogs here is that I did not have any CEL, Limp Mode, Misfire, or Over-Temp etc all weekend despite being around 90*F during the hottest parts of the day.

We're only at 1200' elevation or so down here but I think this is a good sign.

This is after installing:
AED Tune
CJ Pulse Ring
OEM Replacement Crank Position Sensor
FRPP Oil Cooler
302S Grille
AC Condenser Removed
Not sure if it makes a difference but since installing my new RXT clutch and CPR I have not thrown a single code.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Pretty sure I've completed this install save for GPS sensor, but I won't know for sure until the external communication cable arrives from new egg since the config file on the MXL is incorrect for the BOSS...

Also I have to install the oil temp/pressure senders but that won't happen until oil change after next event.

tl9xYiD.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK I got restless and realized I could just make the stupid cable here, so I did. It worked great! BOSS-R Config File now uploaded!

ghTs2uc.png

o7vWlPB.png

Unfortunately it looks like my splices into the CANBUS may not be fully functional, I'll have to try those again tomorrow.

TMO Supporting Vendors