The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK the car is still not out to paint, but the cage is complete! They are bundling up all the wiring now and sending it to a paint shop down the road today.

Here are some pics...still a lot of little odds & ends to be done once the car comes back.

Driver's door zipped out:
FPOlNU4.jpg

Window net mocked up, both upper brackets are in-place. Non-S-Bend NASCAR bars with entry clearance, both sides of car:
nv7iqCw.jpg

Using the factory dash cross-beam, gusseting the cage up to that. You can see how close they got the downbar to the chassis:
JFl7qq2.jpg

Door bars again:
NLE7jLd.jpg

Closeup of TIGing on door bars:
WLFy5vl.jpg

Upper front bar:
IUjPXJE.jpg

Back half of cage completely welded:
77GKPtB.jpg

ednNDkV.jpg

Passenger door getting zipped out shortly:
5JR04Di.jpg

View from Passenger side
9EFdNbO.jpg

Gonna be cutting it close but the car will be ready in time to race :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Niiice. I really like the splayed angles on the door bars. Really nice details and much stronger than just parallel installations. You're really going closer to a complete R/S build than I'm imagining for myself!

Nice! I can tell you from experience that painting round tubing is a major pain, trying to keep ALL the painted surfaces wet at the same time in order for it to turn out glossy is real hard to do. I think you did very well with those fabricators, IMO they gave great value for the money spent. Hopefully you are well pleased because it sure looks good from here.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes I am very happy with how things are turning out! The car will be wearing their shop logo on either side as well as part of our deal.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Car is coming right along, hopefully picking it up tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning.

And no, that is not the real rollcage padding--just some stuff they put in-place to keep the cage from getting scuffed up while the workers are moving in/out of the car and bringing hardware/tools in/out.

Switch Panel getting mocked up. Looks like we are going to cut the panel a bit to install the Cool Shirt control unit. Not a big deal since the cage design allows the stock headlight switch location to be retained.

kCzrDO2.png

O8OCJNv.png

Fire system nozzles in the engine bay:
anoUc5p.png
eFclZyd.png

Not much cutting of the dash was necessary with the tight fit of the downbars. I'l be replacing the vents since they didn't need to be cut up.

y1axav3.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just got a call from the shop that the wiring harnesses have all been installed, the car has been fired, and everything works!

Now they just have to install the final items on the car...belts, padding, seat brackets/seat, cool shirt system, fire bottle...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK I brought the car home last night!

She weighed out at 3475lbs with half a tank of fuel and 170lbs ballast in the driver's seat, so just over 3300lbs without driver. Better than I expected! Power to weight is 9.02:1 :) Perfect :)
This is without taking full advantage of other weight saving opportunities like lexan and an aluminum DS.

OzYlKKD.jpg

fLaImTe.png

PFL0Pk9.jpg

Still a list of small items to take care of this week...

Transponder install
Swap all brake pads/rotors to race stuff
Flush brake fluid
Install harnesses
Lower seat 1/2"
Install roll bar padding
Find proper screws for center stack plate
Relocate trunk switch to center stack plate
Check all suspension fasteners
Install Whiteline Trans bushing

It looks awesome. Are you using the stock calipers?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes still stock calipers and one-piece rotors. No real reason to upgrade or change at this point, at least no reason worth the $$$$ to me right now.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ArizonaGT said:
I will use this thread to chronicle the build progress of my 2012 BOSS 302 into a wheel-to-wheel race car (without a license plate).

FWIW, today I removed my license plate from the vehicle...RCWOALP!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Last night captdistraction and I got all the harnesses mounted and the seat fully bolted up.
Here he is doing his best Vin Diesel impression:

pmWRSNz.png

Also he installed Autosport Labs' Race Capture Pro data acquisition system as well as a GoPro3 to capture some video and GPS data for this event.
t5MNvDK.jpg

Also we finished the roll bar padding, and sort-of tidied up the door wiring that remains.
ZU0xVdX.png

Decal guy is coming over after lunch to get the car fully stickered-up!

Later tonight we'll switch over the brake consumables and install a Maximum Motorsports rear PHB w/ rod ends.

TMO Supporting Vendors