The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadly I too must report experiencing the clutch pedal remaining at the floor at speed on the track :mad:I hit the pedal and it came back up, luckily it only happened once in two days, but I can't help thinking ...when will be the next time?...will it come back off the floor next time?

I've also started experiencing high RPM shift lock outs that others have described on downshifts.

7,000 miles odometer, 2013, 9 track days on the car with
MGW shifter installed after the first 2 track days.

Steve

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have not had any issues with my clutch , so far, but do change the fluid after each weekend. I have kind of a sick mentality that says I should drive at 10/10ths all the time I am on the track, so it seems consumables go somewhat quickly ( tires, brake pads, etc.). Flush the brake fluid every weekend and even change engine oil after two weekends, and have definitely gone back to thicker tranny fluid -- the TSB that recommended a lighter fluid to correct cold temp notchiness, will not stand up to heavy track usage. So though I run hard , changing fluids seemed to help me make it through the year ,even though I had a hard time on some down shifts into second under severe braking, but...............................................low and behold sixth gear went out in the late Fall. Not a fan of the MT82, but to me this was just downright weird, as a little bit of stiffness in second, but sixth was toast. Never had a car have a problem with the granny gear and still haven't figured it out, but Woodhouse Ford fixed it up really well and the transmission fells better than before. Can't complain, but sure wish Ford had used the T6060 like they had in all the prototypes. Makes me want to sell the Boss and just get a Boss 302s -- then I would have the box I really like!!!

Bill Pemberton said:
Have not had any issues with my clutch , so far, but do change the fluid after each weekend. I have kind of a sick mentality that says I should drive at 10/10ths all the time I am on the track, so it seems consumables go somewhat quickly ( tires, brake pads, etc.). Flush the brake fluid every weekend and even change engine oil after two weekends, and have definitely gone back to thicker tranny fluid -- the TSB that recommended a lighter fluid to correct cold temp notchiness, will not stand up to heavy track usage. So though I run hard , changing fluids seemed to help me make it through the year ,even though I had a hard time on some down shifts into second under severe braking, but...............................................low and behold sixth gear went out in the late Fall. Not a fan of the MT82, but to me this was just downright weird, as a little bit of stiffness in second, but sixth was toast. Never had a car have a problem with the granny gear and still haven't figured it out, but Woodhouse Ford fixed it up really well and the transmission fells better than before. Can't complain, but sure wish Ford had used the T6060 like they had in all the prototypes. Makes me want to sell the Boss and just get a Boss 302s -- then I would have the box I really like!!!

Bill - Glad to see there is someone changing fluids more frequently than me. I change oil and brake fluid every 6 hours, tranni every 10 and differential every 12. Seeing you comments reinforces what I am doing.

patrickshelby said:
What lubricants are you track guys using?
Engine
Gearbox
Rear axle

Here is my list:

Oil - Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w50
Transmission Fluid - Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (XT-11-QDC)
Brake - Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid
Rear Differential - Stock Ford fluid

dealer approved trans re&re today after taking hip service rep out on a high rpm run,shifting just under the limiter,he saw the 3rd and even 4th gear lockout.many mods to my car.they did say they would go ahead-they still have to submit it ,i'm guessing further up the line,but they want to check it out.thats what i know today,may take 2-3 weeks to hear back.i hope this goes forward,they did see all my mods done..i did order the whiteline trans insert and che k member,but lets see what they do .i suspect a sloppy trans mount and weak pressure plate,weak slave,are most to blame

I'd like to add to my previous thread.prior to buying my boss, I test drove a'12 gt 500.I t had all of 7k.that trans was horrible.finding any gear was a bear.I've talked to another shelby owner, he stated he had test driven another, with the tremec, and passed til he found his current ride.., as I walked away from that low k red shelby.too bad, the price, on the lot was decent.maybe thats why.

For reference a guy with a MT82 had his third gear break in two.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-off-topic-lounge/619217-opened-up-my-mt82-weekend.html#post5851650

This is what my thrid gear looked like.

MT82brokenthirdgear_zps1192b62f.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
My third gear was shattered into about a million pieces and the counter shaft was bent. Got a new transmission from the dealer under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin

Got my car back this past weekend. They ended up replacing the entire transmission. I knocked all the teeth off of third gear and bent the counter shaft. While it was apart I had a new TOB, pilot bearing, Cobra Jet crank trigger wheel, mcleod rst clutch and mcleod lightened billet steel flywheel (mcleod said its the same weight as stock). Found out that a mcleod clutch WILL NOT bolt to a boss flywheel due to the dowel pin size.

When cold it is crunchy going into third. to be fair its -9 here right now. once warm it stops. I have been getting P0300 randomly now and my O2 codes have changed from being the cat efficiency codes to b1 post cat reading lean and b2 post cat reading rich. This is on the trackey program without cats. I have the anti foulers in place.

Just glad to have the car back. I think later this week I will remove that whiteline trans insert.

The mcleod is slightly lighter pedal feel over the centerforce. it grabs much higher in the pedal travel vs the centerforce. Both are great clutches the mcleod is quieter I looked over the centerforce and see no reason why it should be making that noise it would make with the pedal depressed. I am still breaking in the clutch and with it being so cold I havent given it full tilt shifting.

VTBoss302 said:
Sadly, I know all too well what you're going through...

I realize it's hard to keep it together when you're getting taken for a ride, but keep in mind that they're still R&Ring your tranny and you want them to at least try to do a good job..

On a barely related note, this was my last rental:

FORDGT_zpsa1b53ca7.jpg

I babied the s**t out of it ;)

Where was the rental from?

Justin

Broke my less then two month old replacement transmission wed at the drag strip. Lost all fwd gears only reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
That stinks. Well at least you could drive it home backwards. These transmissions are a real weak link in our cars.
it went home on a flatbed then I backed it into the garage. the transmission was pulled on sat. having it sent a a transmission guy that is just going to fix whats broke in it. Going to baby it while I save for a T-56 XL cause I am done messing with the MT82.

When I do the swap I will have my Driveshaft and shifter up for sale. D&D performance has a swap kit for 4005 bucks. I will keep the stock mt82 and ds as a back up.

TMO Supporting Vendors