The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

I asked but said they didn't know.
I've done 3 track days and I don't drag her or drop the clutch.
It's not from abuse

Jza1736 said:
I asked but said they didn't know.
I've done 3 track days and I don't drag her or drop the clutch.
It's not from abuse

You should make double sure they flushed that tranny out if not make them when they think about it I am sure they will agree if they have not already.

I'm sure they did. I went there after the first week and they had everything apart. Tranny was completely out of the car and unassembled. They showed me the bad gears and First gear had visible chipped teeth but to me second looked okay. But they said it wasn't. Synchros were purple and brown from heat.

Well they were pretty straight up with you and with your situation they look like a dealer to keep. Do you know what build your car was? 2012-2013 just curious cause they did do a tsb on tranny fluid and I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

BLAZN BOSS

Fordman9870 said:
Interesting.
I was looking through YouTube for vids on Launch control. and there is one from Ford that shows a guy setting it up and when he launches 2nd gear is locked out!! or he just plain missed it. Thoughts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ems7-8sKDiY[/youtube]
driver cant shift!

Ok, just returned from a little 150 mile cruise with the wife, had a little fun on the backroads and experienced several of the same issuse more regularly on this trip.

1. Ran up against a newer Z06 who wanted to take on the Boss on the on freeway on-ramp. Had me by a car length about 60 and going from 2nd to 3rd could not get the gear due to lockout like so many times before. Needless to say I am not in a good mood over both issues. Have had consistent lockout problems with the shifter going to 3rd since car was new.
2. Also had the clutch stick about 1/2 way down and would not release with out pumping the clutch peddle in several times. This has happened sporadically but appears most often when putting the car through its paces.
3. There is a distinct clunk in 1st and 2nd gears when shifting at lower speeds. Was very noticeable today.
4. Car has 1800 miles on it and was broken in very slowly and deliberately. just now starting to get a little more aggressive with it.

Will be taking the car to dealer this week for oil change but will definintely be pointing these items out and asking for corrections to them.

I'm still pissed at the Z06 however.....I want a rematch when things are working as they should

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

dscowan said:
Ok, just returned from a little 150 mile cruise with the wife, had a little fun on the backroads and experienced several of the same issuse more regularly on this trip.

1. Ran up against a newer Z06 who wanted to take on the Boss on the on freeway on-ramp. Had me by a car length about 60 and going from 2nd to 3rd could not get the gear due to lockout like so many times before. Needless to say I am not in a good mood over both issues. Have had consistent lockout problems with the shifter going to 3rd since car was new.
2. Also had the clutch stick about 1/2 way down and would not release with out pumping the clutch peddle in several times. This has happened sporadically but appears most often when putting the car through its paces.
3. There is a distinct clunk in 1st and 2nd gears when shifting at lower speeds. Was very noticeable today.
4. Car has 1800 miles on it and was broken in very slowly and deliberately. just now starting to get a little more aggressive with it.

Will be taking the car to dealer this week for oil change but will definintely be pointing these items out and asking for corrections to them.

I'm still pissed at the Z06 however.....I want a rematch when things are working as they should
thats how mine started out and has gotten progressively worse. going to try a centerforce clutch some next month

jeepinocala said:
Well they were pretty straight up with you and with your situation they look like a dealer to keep. Do you know what build your car was? 2012-2013 just curious cause they did do a tsb on tranny fluid and I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Mine is a 2012 march build that was delivered in June 2011. No tab done for the tranny. But I did have the tranny fluid, rear dif and oil all done after 1800 miles and a two day track event (sept 2011). Car has run great since day 1. The Boss was in storage from November to March. April I did another track day. From march to July she burned 7 quarts. Tranny started acting up late June. I put her away because I was going to get married and was away for the month of July. Now she shifts like brand new again. I don't drag her and No hard launches. She does like revving high at track days :)

dscowan said:
Ok, just returned from a little 150 mile cruise with the wife, had a little fun on the backroads and experienced several of the same issuse more regularly on this

I feel your pain it should not be like that and it is even worse when people on here defends ford when this subject comes up I am keeping the Boss after putting some serious thought and car shopping there just is not a better looking all around car so this will be a very expensive waste of money for me fixing fords crap engineering. Yeah guys who else is to blame?--NOBODY but fords engineering they are not doing to well on this one for sure. Like anything you get a good engineer or you get a crappy one that cant figure it out. ???

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

dscowan said:

Z06's are fun to run against but don't set your expectations too high unless you bump into a bad/timid driver. The numbers for HP, weight and grip just don't add up for us.

PeteInCT said:
dscowan said:

Z06's are fun to run against but don't set your expectations too high unless you bump into a bad/timid driver. The numbers for HP, weight and grip just don't add up for us.
Especially in a straight line where all you have to do is put your right foot down. The Z06 is in a different racing class for a reason.....500 less pounds, better aero, wider tires and AT LEAST 60 more hp.

Justin

I just bought this fluid in hopes it will fix the problem.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=271041434360#ht_1350wt_1170
I have the JHR line didnt help

I found this is a new item on american muscle listed as a heavy duty throw out bearing. If the fluid doesnt work I might try this.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-tob-slavecylinder-0513.html

Either way I am going to be getting a Centerforce DYAD clutch that or the Mcleod RXT clutch as it seems to fix the issue from what I have found on other forums. Some also get results from swapping to a GT500 pedal assembly.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-04234805/

And the issue isnt just us Boss guys the GT's have the same problem.

Justin

CR3Z2455A gt500 pedal assembly
thats the part number on tousleyfordparts site its 128 plus shipping. think I will give this a try before I drop 1400 on a clutch.

Justin said:
CR3Z2455A gt500 pedal assembly
thats the part number on tousleyfordparts site its 128 plus shipping. think I will give this a try before I drop 1400 on a clutch.
Keep us updated on how it works. Please start a How To thread on replacing it.

The only thing about that pedal assembly is--Wgat does it come with? I could not find any pictures? I believe that the gt500 pedal is a great fix for flex in the stock boss clutch pedal but also believe you need the clutch master cylinder to go with it. Please post pictures once you get it I am very interested in this.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
The only thing about that pedal assembly is--Wgat does it come with? I could not find any pictures? I believe that the gt500 pedal is a great fix for flex in the stock boss clutch pedal but also believe you need the clutch master cylinder to go with it. Please post pictures once you get it I am very interested in this.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/710327-2011-5-0l-clutch-pedal-issue-fix.html
that tread has pictures. from what I have read on countless forums it seems that to be a combo of the pressure plate and the pedal assembly. replacing the two has fixed the issue in every case I have come across. Sometimes just the pedal assembly works but it seems that it takes both to get a smooth consistant no sticky pedal action. what lethal did here was first replace the clutch with the mcleod twin disc but the pedal still felt like crap and the swap to the GT500 piece has made the car silky smooth. Taking the spring out seems to work for some vice going with the gt500 pedal assembly but leaves you with that "dead" or spongey feel at the top of the pedal travel.

I havent ordered the pedal assembly yet as I have to see where I sit on money in a few days as I just got done ordering that fluid/the Upper control arm/speakers/uca bracket.

Justin

got the GT500 pedal assembly on order through tousleyfordparts.com shipping was quoted at 9.75. soon as I get it and get some time I will do a how to on the swap. going to do the TSR-1 fluid swap at the same time.

Justin said:
got the GT500 pedal assembly on order through tousleyfordparts.com shipping was quoted at 9.75. soon as I get it and get some time I will do a how to on the swap. going to do the TSR-1 fluid swap at the same time.

What exactly does this come with?

TMO Supporting Vendors