The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car numbers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Looking for some inspiration for a car number magnet. Wondering what other have done in the past as far as interesting car number designs that still fit in all the regulations

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Like the hatter said, the magnet ones are not suitable for track use. Maybe, just maybe, they might work for autocross (no disrespect) but at a buck twenty, I’m not sure about adhering and you don’t want to be that guy claiming his magnet number at the black flag station. Go with the vinyl sticky and get the air release vinyl type. NASA requires a minimum of 10” and with that size you‘re good to go in almost all HPDE/race sanctions. When I got my door cards, I went with trackdecals but there is others.

Or pick one :

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You are in Nova Scotia and I am assuming you will be running the Atlantic Motorsports Park. Unlike what many have noted I have had pretty good luck with heavy magnetic vinyl numbers and decals at the many tracks out there that do not hit really high speeds ( 140+ ). Check out solo performance.com and check with DaveW ( owner and TMO member ) and get his recommendations as his company has been doing track decals since 1984.

I actually have only lost one big magnetic decal over the years and that was at a track that is now closed -- lost it on my Mach 1 at a bit over 130mph, ha.

The option using heavy magnetic vinyl does allow you to get your car back to a street look quickly, and you just have to decide if possibly losing a decal on occasion is worth the convenience. They are heavily used by autocrossers, who can pop them off right after an event and drive home with out attracting the attention of the Police, State Troopers, or in your case Mounties!

Just to add, I've used magnetic numbers for years. You just need a leading edge taped down to prevent fly-off!

I recommend 3M Super 33+ electrical tape, it works well and removes easily even after several weeks.

It's about time I get a new set, as my current ones are about 5 yrs old, and the magnetic backer is getting brittle and trying to crack when I remove from the car.

I ran magnets from track decals and hit over 160mph without issue, just make sure they lay flat against the body.

View attachment 96405

Not picking on you, but you stating that because you had luck with magnetics staying on at 160 mph and therefore everyone will have luck is the EXACT same thing as the new HPDE guy running a 160mph track on Hawk street 5.0 pads without problem and therefore everyone will be able to run Hawk's street pad on any track with any driving style and on any car.

First, there is basically one reputable manufacturer of .030" magnetic sheeting that you are likely to see. I am sure there is chinese crap out there, but I am fairly certain all the reputable motorsports graphics companies aren't using that. So, there is not some special sauce magnetic from vendor A that will stick better than ones from vendor B.

Magnetic is not designed to be used at high speeds. Its thickness leaves it susceptible to the windstream which then tears it off the car. It's not absolute - panel numbers tend to stick better than individual letters. Flat doors that let it lie flat without going over a body line help.

Unless the leading edge is taped, many customers will not find success with magnetic on track. Period.

Each person needs to address their own willingness to tape versus the cost of a lost panel versus the extra cost of reusable vinyl products that don't last as long.

With tape, or the exact set of circumstances like on your car, it may perform fine, but it is not an absolute thing.

DaveW

There’s me still thinking it’s strange that we have to run numbers on our cars (unless racing)
Never had to when doing track days over in Europe.

That being said I’ve just received some reusable vinyl numbers from you Dave (SPS)
Looking forward to seeing how they look on the car

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Not picking on you, but you stating that because you had luck with magnetics staying on at 160 mph and therefore everyone will have luck is the EXACT same thing as the new HPDE guy running a 160mph track on Hawk street 5.0 pads without problem and therefore everyone will be able to run Hawk's street pad on any track with any driving style and on any car.

DaveW
Yeah magnets and brake pads are the exact same thing 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Like the hatter said, the magnet ones are not suitable for track use. Maybe, just maybe, they might work for autocross (no disrespect) but at a buck twenty, I’m not sure about adhering and you don’t want to be that guy claiming his magnet number at the black flag station. Go with the vinyl sticky and get the air release vinyl type. NASA requires a minimum of 10” and with that size you‘re good to go in almost all HPDE/race sanctions. When I got my door cards, I went with trackdecals but there is others.

Or pick one :
I’d only be using them for autoX as I don’t compete in trials or anything similar

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
You are in Nova Scotia and I am assuming you will be running the Atlantic Motorsports Park. Unlike what many have noted I have had pretty good luck with heavy magnetic vinyl numbers and decals at the many tracks out there that do not hit really high speeds ( 140+ ). Check out solo performance.com and check with DaveW ( owner and TMO member ) and get his recommendations as his company has been doing track decals since 1984.

I actually have only lost one big magnetic decal over the years and that was at a track that is now closed -- lost it on my Mach 1 at a bit over 130mph, ha.

The option using heavy magnetic vinyl does allow you to get your car back to a street look quickly, and you just have to decide if possibly losing a decal on occasion is worth the convenience. They are heavily used by autocrossers, who can pop them off right after an event and drive home with out attracting the attention of the Police, State Troopers, or in your case Mounties!
I’d be using them for autoX I don’t do trails or anything similar

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Eagle ID
At a cool-weather autocross back in 2019, I lost a one of my brand-new "Premium Magnetic Numbers" that I'd purchased from Autocross Digits. The thick magnetic number appeared to be too cold and stiff to conform fully to the Mustang door contour. As the day warmed up, the conformity improved and I had no more numbers wander off.

During this 2019 summer season, I was just starting out in the Track Day hobby. My number-fail episode made me skeptical of the numbers staying on during a track day.

I've used vinyl numbers in the past and dislike how fragile and ephemeral they are. I wanted to find a way to make the magnetic numbers work.

Looking for an alternative to tape, I bought some uber-strong vinyl-coated neodymium disk magnets from K&J Magnetics. I placed these on the leading edge of the numbers. These magnets REALLY latch onto the magnetic numbers. I was pretty satisfied that they would keep the numbers in place.

However, when I stepped back and looked at it, I thought having magnets just on the leading edge looked a little funky. Just for grins, I placed the magnets all around the perimeter to balance out the appearance. Not needed, but maybe better esthetics – “Just for looks, Zak”. I liked that better – kind of a “riveted armor” vibe.

My first event with this setup was at a Laguna Seca track day.

One of the Tech guys noticed the magnets and asked, "Are those gonna stay on? Wouldn't want them flying around the track."

I offered to let him to pull a magnet off. He reached down and casually tugged on a magnet. It stayed put. He turned and squatted down in front of my door. He was being careful and it took him a second or two, but he pulled one off. He examined the magnet, and then brought it back near where he'd removed it. Before he could lay it down, it jumped out of his fingers and snapped onto the car number with a distinctive "thunk". He was satisfied.

He said, "Yeah, those aren't going anywhere. Pretty cool idea."

It's interesting that no other Tech Inspector has questioned them. I've since had no number movement at more than a dozen track days with the fastest speed I know of at 130 MPH on the front straight at The Ridge Motorsports Park.

GBMD8217.jpg

Last edited:
let see whos advice should we trust someone who is unbiased and has nothing to gain or someone who sells stickers?
Yeah, OK. 40 f***ing years in this business and I guess I got that far screwing people....

Sorry for trying to help people make informed decisions with advice based on thousands of experiences.

Also, buy Hoosier tires for everything. THey are the best tires for any condition and any use.

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Funny thing Hye, DaveW seems to go out of his way not to promote his business, and in fact most of the time when he talks about his business it is because many of us prompt him to. If you go to the Solo Nationals , many Solo National Tours , you will find Dave busting his butt changing tires and helping folks and offering advice if asked. There are so many SCCA members as well as quite a few NASA members who rely on him because he is one of the guys who shows up to help all of us and part of the reason is he is one sick Trackrat himself. Most of us who know him realize he spends alot of time hanging around helping other track/autocross enthusiasts and he has a successful business in the St. Louis area where he could just stay home and make money. Consider that he is only trying to help because alot of us know of his expertise and have pressured him a bit to contribute because we respect him so much.

PS - He is so right about Hoosiers, but then Blacksheep 1 and a zillion others will back him up on that ( me included ).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
let see whos advice should we trust someone who is unbiased and has nothing to gain or someone who sells stickers?
One comment and then let’s hope this thread is closed.

Hye Power

Interesting advice. Gained during your three years or less of experience? This may be a great time to simply listen. If you don’t want, need, understand the advice given by folks who have 20+ years experience, that’s your call. Criticizing folks giving advice based on their experiences gained on their dime and offered for free. That’s just so precious.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Funny thing Hye, DaveW seems to go out of his way not to promote his business, and in fact most of the time when he talks about his business it is because many of us prompt him to. If you go to the Solo Nationals , many Solo National Tours , you will find Dave busting his butt changing tires and helping folks and offering advice if asked. There are so many SCCA members as well as quite a few NASA members who rely on him because he is one of the guys who shows up to help all of us and part of the reason is he is one sick Trackrat himself. Most of us who know him realize he spends alot of time hanging around helping other track/autocross enthusiasts and he has a successful business in the St. Louis area where he could just stay home and make money. Consider that he is only trying to help because alot of us know of his expertise and have pressured him a bit to contribute because we respect him so much.

PS - He is so right about Hoosiers, but then Blacksheep 1 and a zillion others will back him up on that ( me included ).

Everyone i know that goes to the track does so at an expense and everyone i know helps out if needed, along with share their expertise no matter how little or extensive it is. Not really sure what any of this had to do Magnetic decals like the op asked about?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
One comment and then let’s hope this thread is closed.

Hye Power

Interesting advice. Gained during your three years or less of experience? This may be a great time to simply listen. If you don’t want, need, understand the advice given by folks who have 20+ years experience, that’s your call. Criticizing folks giving advice based on their experiences gained on their dime and offered for free. That’s just so precious.
Really how long does it take to come up with advice on magnets? At what threshold does one become and expert on magnetic decals, inquiring minds want to know all knowing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors