The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch/Flywheel Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
Hey all, I need to replace the clutch (and probably flywheel) on my car. 2020 GT350, stock powertrain. I track it several weekends a year but it's also a daily driver. On track I'm using GY SC3 tires, not slicks. What are your recommendations for a setup that will hold up to track use but still be street friendly?

My personal preference is to stay away from multiple disc clutches, it's just more stuff to go wrong. In the S197 world, the Exedy Hyper single is the complete, total favorite, no brainer clutch, For my 07 Gt500, I had to go to a single disc Spec (which is sort of a hyper single knock off) because of availability. Keep in mind you may have to do some type of relearn to make the ECM happy.
Now might be a great time to consider a lighter flywheel if you do any autocrossing.

TX
All the clutches I'm seeing listed come with a flywheel, is it possible to get something without buying a flywheel as well?
Not that I am aware of. I also just don't see the value. The big performance gain comes from replacing the flywheel with a much lighter AL version. The stock clutch pack is very capable at stock power levels.

Stock replacement part is FR3Z-7B546-D and comes with just the clutches and pressure plate. It would still be a good idea to resurface the original flywheel if you plan to re-use it.

Service manual calls for replacing both the clutch pack and flywheel. I agree given the dual mass design of the stock flywheel. If it fails, it'll vibrate your engine to death. I've seen a few cracked blocks from that and I know the FRPP school cars had a few issues with that same problem.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
Stock replacement part is FR3Z-7B546-D and comes with just the clutches and pressure plate. It would still be a good idea to resurface the original flywheel if you plan to re-use it.
Sorry, my question wasn't clear. Stock clutch replacement is easy enough. I'm asking whether aftermarket clutch automatically requires aftermarket flywheel, or whether there are aftermarket clutches available that can be ordered separately and work with the OEM flywheel (and clutch slave cylinder).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
Not that I am aware of. I also just don't see the value. The big performance gain comes from replacing the flywheel with a much lighter AL version. The stock clutch pack is very capable at stock power levels.

Service manual calls for replacing both the clutch pack and flywheel. I agree given the dual mass design of the stock flywheel. If it fails, it'll vibrate your engine to death. I've seen a few cracked blocks from that and I know the FRPP school cars had a few issues with that same problem.
Thanks. I was just at the dealer and looked at everything. The initial problem was the clutch slave cylinder. They were going to replace the clutch as well under warranty but it showed too many signs of high heat (bluing on the pressure plate fingers etc.) and they said Ford wouldn't sign off on a warranty replacement. It's been soaked with brake fluid so I figured better to replace it. Flywheel looks good though and checks to spec. Service manual checks all lead to "do not replace." No fluid intrusion, no cracks, minimal hot spots. So, sounds like best plan is just put the OEM clutch replacement in and call it a day.

TMO Supporting Vendors