The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S650 Darkhorse R Mustang Challenge Car #58 Build Thread Profile - S650 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
More fake news. No cracking without contact. Unless @blacksheep-1 has information to the contrary.
One last question. Where do you guys get oil pressure from? I believe the DHR uses the block oil cooling ports listed here.

I looked at the hoses in the picture posted above and don’t see a remote filter. Sorry for the questions. Just curious how FP did it

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
@blacksheep-1 What kind of track insurance? I did not think you could when its a "RACE" only HPDE
There are full on race insurance policies out there. Anywhere from 10-15% of the agreed value of the car per weekend is what I have heard.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I don't know, I've seen it on that Porsche and an Audi team that I worked for. In the case of the Audi, I understood that after the payout, the company dropped the guy because he was screwing up too much.
I was also around when they took pics of the crash damage for the insurance company, but I don't recall the name.

If that comes in conversation I would love to know. I am going w2w next year and here is nothing wrong with a little insurance. Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Some cars are equipped but they are not homologated and are not allowed to be used on pit lane or false grid and are "actively discouraged" form use in the paddock. We were briefed on this before race 3 as Dean's cars have them as do others and the possibility of changing to wets on false grid was a distinct one.
I haven't gone down the air jack path yet, but it's a workout to get the car up in the air 2-3 times a day plus the time involved itself between sessions. What do you think the reason is for "active discouragement" of their use at this level? I get that this is "entry level" pro racing but at $150Kish for the car and $20K for the series just to show up (plus all the new tires and fuel each weekend!), I don't think that a one-time couple $$ grand is going to make waves. Are they worried about nitrogen bottle mishaps?

BTW I received my NJS #58 team shirt this week and it is very nice :)

Starting to think safety items need to find way to my car.
Well the folks that crew that car are pretty decent, I don't see them leaving a banjo fitting loose, but maybe they did, I would think that the driver would've felt some type of mushy pedal before the off, I don't know. I'm not pointing fingers things go bump in the night sometimes in spite of our best efforts. There was a lot of crap in the wheels, so it's always possible debris caught up in the wheel may have played a part. There's not a lot of clearance between the banjo and the wheels rim.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I haven't gone down the air jack path yet, but it's a workout to get the car up in the air 2-3 times a day plus the time involved itself between sessions. What do you think the reason is for "active discouragement" of their use at this level? I get that this is "entry level" pro racing but at $150Kish for the car and $20K for the series just to show up (plus all the new tires and fuel each weekend!), I don't think that a one-time couple $$ grand is going to make waves. Are they worried about nitrogen bottle mishaps?

BTW I received my NJS #58 team shirt this week and it is very nice :)
There were not enough available to install in all the cars so they were made optional. Word today is they have put them in homologation book and they are going to be more readily available for next event at Road Atlanta. With no competitive pit stops its not that big a deal. And we have plenty of people around to jack the cars so drivers don't have to worry about it like us club guys and gals.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hello, my name is Nick Smither , I am the TMO Driver Emeritus driving the number 58 Darkhorse Beast in DHL in the Mustang Challenge Series. I will be engaging in old age and treachery against many of the young , exuberant drivers out there and we shall see who will prevail?

Well, I went and purchased Peacock after finding out I could watch the Mustang Challenge on this Streaming Service and I have to commend Nick for driving smart , staying out of trouble and succeeding very well in his early outings in the Mustang Challenge Series. To finish first you must first finish is going to be a key element this year as way too many drivers are trying to win in the first few laps and making judgement calls that look like the drivers are both cross eyed and in need of bifocals. I remember running Spec Miata for around 10 years and some of the driver movements in this Series , so far, make Spec Miata look safe and casual. Nick has done a commendable job and I am looking forward to watching more races and hoping the WWE driving style of some calms down!

Slick Nick is on the stick , making solid racing judgement calls not over driving with testosterone loaded balls ! Just saying.............Congrats to Nick and proud to be one of his racing groupies, " The Smithereens, " ha!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Hello, my name is Nick Smither , I am the TMO Driver Emeritus driving the number 58 Darkhorse Beast in DHL in the Mustang Challenge Series. I will be engaging in old age and treachery against many of the young , exuberant drivers out there and we shall see who will prevail?

Well, I went and purchased Peacock after finding out I could watch the Mustang Challenge on this Streaming Service and I have to commend Nick for driving smart , staying out of trouble and succeeding very well in his early outings in the Mustang Challenge Series. To finish first you must first finish is going to be a key element this year as way too many drivers are trying to win in the first few laps and making judgement calls that look like the drivers are both cross eyed and in need of bifocals. I remember running Spec Miata for around 10 years and some of the driver movements in this Series , so far, make Spec Miata look safe and casual. Nick has done a commendable job and I am looking forward to watching more races and hoping the WWE driving style of some calms down!

Slick Nick is on the stick , making solid racing judgement calls not over driving with testosterone loaded balls ! Just saying.............Congrats to Nick and proud to be one of his racing groupies, " The Smithereens, " ha!
You could just watch the races streaming live on Ford Performances' You Tube page Bill. Unless you want all of the IMSA TV and Peacock programming. Be prepared for the #58 to drive more to the front in the upcoming events.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Steve, and I do have some other friends running in IMSA, and Peacock is showing the Tour De France and Olympics so there are a few more perks. Figure I can watch till the Olympics are over and cancel. Appreciate the tip and Nick is a solid shoe so being smart with so many " Crash Test Dummies " out there is another solid sign of his Circuit Acumen!!

TMO Supporting Vendors