The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dual purpose tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I hear the new PS4s are amazing on track. Wondering if any of you have any experience with the new Conti ExtremeContact Sports on track. I am looking to replace my Cup2s on my GT350R with 305s square. Thanks!

Always a big fan of Michelin... the PSS was a great tire so I bet the PS4 will be a step above it's predecessor. I had a good experience with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW. My guess would be that the new Conti will be on par with the PSS and the PS4 will be the new benchmark.

DFW, TX
Looking at the Tire Rack info, the PS4 has more tread width in the 305/30 size by a pretty good margin while the section width is the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great post and read, but darn, though easy to figure out the Italian comparison was Pirelli, but with the ton of Japanese tires he could be referring to Yokohama, Toyo, Bridgestone. etc.??

Overall , look forward to seeing more testing with the 4S and imagine it's best strength will be in the wet, over the Pilot Super Sports?!

Just my 2-cents on the S197...

Get a second set of wheels\tires...if you do any amount of track duty (more than 1/year), this is the direction you will most likely end up. Once you come to the conclusion that 'street' tires are made for the street and 'track' tires are made of the track, you will be willing to drop the coin and change the wheels on\before track day. Use the right gear for the appropriate application.

I've run GY F1's, Conti EC DW and BFG's street/hybrid tires on road course and they are not even in the same league as a NT01.

I would recommend starting with a dual purpose tire if you are a beginner. Get some laps under your belt and learn the lines. Softer tire allow you to 'cheat' a bit...street/hybrid tires make you pay for your mistakes by slowing you down and proving feedback (squealing like crazy) before they brake loose.

As you progress, you'll realize a hybrid tires on track days will wear the edges out super fast, greatly reducing the useful life of the tire, so you'll be buying another very soon.

Not to mention, a set of grippy tires, like NT05 (good), NT01, Toyo888 (better)...or Hoosiers (crazy) when you have it down, is much more rewarding on the road course and can dramatically improve your lap time.

I drive intermediate/advance in my track-prepped s197 with Rivals and RE11s (at the time best dual purpose tires). I am looking for next-gen to these tires. I do about 6-8 track days a year. But not really interested in running second set of wheels and all the trouble that goes along with it (storage, transporting etc). I think the new benchmark is the PS4S and I'd like to stick to dual-purpose tires at this levels. Just curious if anyone have experience with other model tires.

Cup2s (on my R) are just too weather sensitive as are other comparable tires like Trefeo, Rival S and RE71R. I live in the wet NW and don't want my car parked 6 months out of the year.

Just my 2-cents on the S197...

Get a second set of wheels\tires...if you do any amount of track duty (more than 1/year), this is the direction you will most likely end up. Once you come to the conclusion that 'street' tires are made for the street and 'track' tires are made of the track, you will be willing to drop the coin and change the wheels on\before track day. Use the right gear for the appropriate application.

I've run GY F1's, Conti EC DW and BFG's street/hybrid tires on road course and they are not even in the same league as a NT01.

I would recommend starting with a dual purpose tire if you are a beginner. Get some laps under your belt and learn the lines. Softer tire allow you to 'cheat' a bit...street/hybrid tires make you pay for your mistakes by slowing you down and proving feedback (squealing like crazy) before they brake loose.

As you progress, you'll realize a hybrid tires on track days will wear the edges out super fast, greatly reducing the useful life of the tire, so you'll be buying another very soon.

Not to mention, a set of grippy tires, like NT05 (good), NT01, Toyo888 (better)...or Hoosiers (crazy) when you have it down, is much more rewarding on the road course and can dramatically improve your lap time.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would throw out the Bridgestone RE71Rs also , and they have one of the better wet ratings of Extreme Performance Summer Tires , without being a DOT Competition Tire like the Trofeo or PSC2s. We may not have quite as much rain as the Northwest, but invariably when our local Autocross Course is wet the RE71rs seems to have less impact on them than other 200 Treadwear or higher rubber.

PS - this is based on the courses set up in Lincoln , Nebraska , at the actual site of the Solo Nationals.

Last edited:
My local Ford dealer can get me a set of PS4s 305s square for ~$1500 installed after rebate. They also have the latest Hunter machine.

RE71Rs are slightly pricier. Regardless of price, I think PS4 is the top tire right now without going into Cup2s and R compound territory. Esp given PS4's wet performance which is important to me in the wet NW.

Thank you all for your comments.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You can't go wrong with the Michelins. The Bridgestones are great for Autocrosses and Time Trials , but will get greasey during a 20 minute session. No real history on the PS4s, but as noted plenty of drivers preferred the Super Sports over many other tires for One Lap of America. Just wanted to throw out some alternatives as we are really in pretty good shape for the number of decent tires we can run on both the GT350 and the Boss. So many cars have virtually no choices ---- good example of that is the Camaro Z28 and their 20 inch rims.

RE71-R is a good wet tire but doesn't like temps below 50 in the wet and standing water brings on hydroplaning. Cup 2's have the same characteristics.

FYI the RE71-R did not do well in the 16 OLOA on the cold wet skid pad.

IMHO what you are looking for is the PS4S for a good compromise tire if you only have 1 set of rims.

Peter

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Correct that most of the 200 Treadwear ratings like the RE71Rs do not do well in cool temps , and they note that on their specifications. But when compared with similar tires ( many designed primarily for Autocross or track use) , the RE71s are one of the better ones, but I will agree for mainly highway driving and only occasional track use the Super Sports were really good, so no doubt the PS4S will be even better. Key point you mentioned is you live in the wet NW ------ none of the 200 tread wear tires are great in the rain, so the Michelin may be your best bet?

Also Grassroots has a compare test of the current PSS vs the New Conti Extreme Contact. Dry was about the same, Conti easier to drive, Conti was way better in the wet. However if you believe the initial PS4 tests it is much improved in the wet and dry braking is much better with a slight increase in dry lap times. The Grassroots author was one of the press test drivers for the new PS4S and he was very complimentary on the dry handling ;)

Peter

TMO Supporting Vendors