The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 EL 30! Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
We got this Mustang in rough shape… My boss and mentor started building it as a spare track car, he installed a lot of fiberglass body panels, racing seats, a roll bar, detachable steering wheel and 5 point harnesses, but later went in to a different direction and got a C5 z06 corvette for his spare car so this car sat abandoned for a few of years… paint was thrashed and had a lot rattle can spray paint and the interior had mold, but mechanically it was sound!
My son (24yo) and I got the car from my boss and immediately started working on it! We washed it, cleaned the interior and changed all the fluids and brake pads, and waisted no time and took it to a track day! It ran good! But definitely needed some improvements, specially brakes!

IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3486.jpeg

IMG_3485.jpeg

IMG_3484.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_3560.jpeg

EL 30.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
After the first track day we decided to upgrade the brakes immediately… we went with Powerstop Cobra style brakes.

IMG_5810.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looks like some great progress and welcome to TMO. Having autocrossed or road raced with my son since he was 15 ( he is now 4 months away from 41 ) I can tell you there is nothing better than working and racing with one of your kids. You are likely to get bombarded by members, but remember the #1 thing to go faster is tires, so look at your next major purchases as a set of Apex wheels ( currently on Sale ) and some sticky rubber --- your tires are good for Endurance racing across the US and Back, ha. Look forward to see how the car progresses and I know you two will be having a great time together.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
2nd track day… Much Better!!
We were actually passing cars (even a couple of older 911’s) and the car was much more enjoyable to drive, don’t know if it was because the sense of security the new brakes gave us or if we were starting to feel comfortable in the car… but we had fun!

IMG_6012.jpeg

IMG_6013.jpeg

IMG_6014.jpeg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
“Stock body is the right body” is that how it goes??
anyway, we are currently replacing all the fiberglass body panels except the hood and the hood is becoming functional and not “for show” only. Also the paint is getting some much needed love!

IMG_6016.jpeg

IMG_6015.jpeg

IMG_5973.jpeg

IMG_5976.jpeg

IMG_5984.jpeg

IMG_5987.jpeg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
Looks like some great progress and welcome to TMO. Having autocrossed or road raced with my son since he was 15 ( he is now 4 months away from 41 ) I can tell you there is nothing better than working and racing with one of your kids. You are likely to get bombarded by members, but remember the #1 thing to go faster is tires, so look at your next major purchases as a set of Apex wheels ( currently on Sale ) and some sticky rubber --- your tires are good for Endurance racing across the US and Back, ha. Look forward to see how the car progresses and I know you two will be having a great time together.
I think we have maybe 1 more track day on this tires and we will be moving on to something stickier... Advan A502's or maybe Toyo R888r's. We don't drive this car on the street except to go to the track and back (maybe 8 miles total). Will love to get new wheels but they are not in the budget, hopefully in the near future since our wheels are on the heavy side and I'd like something I could run without a "spacer".

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are thinking about Yokohama A052s they are killer autocross tires but they go away pretty quickly on a road course. Great for super serious Time Trialers but you get your best time in the 2-3 lap. With two drivers I would not go that route. Concerning R888Rs, skip those as they are a pushing 2 decades old with just a minor tread design and are super noisy. Check out the Grassroot Motorsport listing to get some better ideas as there is a very solid tire usage graph from a few months back. You have time as you noted and you can always link with Tire Rack on this site and ask for Luke Pavlik - ext. 4362. I have known him for almost 25 years and he is an avid track and autocross driver himself so he can give you some advice on what would work well also.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Nice looking car and welcome.

The cobra brakes are a great improvement for this car. What pads are you running? I would recommend some track focused pads since that is all you are doing with the car. Is there a reason why the ABS is deleted? ABS really helps braking deep into corners confidently.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the car being built for or for a specific class?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
Nice looking car and welcome.

The cobra brakes are a great improvement for this car. What pads are you running? I would recommend some track focused pads since that is all you are doing with the car. Is there a reason why the ABS is deleted? ABS really helps braking deep into corners confidently.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the car being built for or for a specific class?
Hey Stephen! My son and I have watched a bunch of your videos.
Right now it's just a "track day car", a project my son and I can work on together and enjoy together. We've attended a couple of track days organized by Chin Track Days and Performance Driving Group, but the more we watch vids the more we have been talking about doing some sort of autocross event, specially since there is a place just minutes away from where we live where we can do it.
Pads: the 1st time on the track we used Powerstop Z26 pads on the stock brakes... they lasted 1 weekend (8 30min sessions), the Cobra brake kit came with Z26 pads as well, but after one track event (same 8 30min sessions) they sill have some life in them, I'd say they are 50%. We are brand new to this and all the info we have is from asking a friend of mine and google... I read that Hawk "blue" are good for the track and thought about giving them a try. What do you recommend for the track?
The abs was deleted before I acquired the car.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good thing to do would be to contact KNS Brakes or OP Mustang for some brake pad information and good prices. Plenty of folks on here use them for brakes and brake products and do tell them you are a two driver car.

You definitely need an aggressive pad are do you happen to have any ducting to keep the rotor and pads a bit cooler - if not that is a pretty necessary option in my estimation.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I agree it's best to talk to someone with more experience. I have only done autocross (only one track day under my belt). Personally, I have ran Carbotech and G-Loc brake pads, but in the autocross compound variety.

Thanks for watching the videos. Obviously, I am biased towards autocross, but track days are a lot of fun as well. I second what Bill said about working on the car with your son. I learned everything I know from my dad and had a great time co-driving with him. Unfortunately, he never got to experience the car in its current dominating form.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
Good thing to do would be to contact KNS Brakes or OP Mustang for some brake pad information and good prices. Plenty of folks on here use them for brakes and brake products and do tell them you are a two driver car.

You definitely need an aggressive pad are do you happen to have any ducting to keep the rotor and pads a bit cooler - if not that is a pretty necessary option in my estimation.
I made some brake ducts but haven’t tried them yet… For the bumper this is what i came up with using stuff I found on Amazon and ebay and to redirect the air to the rotors I saw a vid on YouTube and stole the idea from it, using Porsche Macan parts I found on eBay for $10.
Last picture is a screenshot from the YouTube video “I took” my inspiration from.
I’m going to continue doing my homework on the pads and will definitely contact KNS and OP Mustang for more info. Thanks Bill.

IMG_5872.jpeg
I had to flip this because they were hitting the radiator mount, unfortunately I didn’t take pics of then after I flipped them.
IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0331.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0332.png

IMG_0334.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Way cool, I know some folks use the GT3 brake air deflectors ( easy clamp right on the A arms ) but have not seen anyone using the Macan steering box deflector for more air and that looks really cool ---literally and figuratively!

This is way I love TMO, regardless of your age if you stick around here long enough, you find some other cool thing to use and this one is a cheap pickup!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
Been doing some wrenching on the car… installed the rear cobra brakes, installed the Carter’s Customs rear Spoiler, got rid of the old AM Corvette wheels and now I have 18 in all 4 corners and wrapped in Hankook Ventus RS-4’s 285/35R18’s… and I‘m half way through wrapping it.
Also I cut the front splitter using the template that @PatientZero posted.

63410FB9-2FC0-4509-B010-1B9ECA93A67E.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6420.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg
Old 19 305 vs New 18 285
IMG_6446.jpeg

IMG_6434.jpeg

IMG_6144.jpeg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel