The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
Manual, it looks like your intake has plenty of clearance under the STB. Did you use lower engine mounts or raise the STB with spacers?

I had to use the Steeda motor mounts, because of an issue that I had with the steering shaft and that it was touching the headers...

Manuel

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have the Steeda mounts, you can be stock, 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4" lower. I set mine at 1/2" Any lower and you have clearance issues with the oil filter when running Boss and plate for air to oil cooler. With the 1/2" my strut brace will clear the CJ intake, I have 1 1/2" clearance to the Boss intake now.
Steve

Would it be possible to edit the first post of this thread to start posting links of the best deals online?

For instance I found the intake manifold here for a really good price.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/COBRA_JET_5_0L_4V_INTAKE_MANIFOLD_p/m-9424-m50cj.htm

Of course this probably won't mean anything when they release the kit but it would be nice to see some cheaper options for each component (Pulse Ring, Intake, Manifold). Sorry if this link is a repost I'm just really excited about more power via a NA option.

El Jefe 302 said:
Would it be possible to edit the first post of this thread to start posting links of the best deals online?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/COBRA_JET_5_0L_4V_INTAKE_MANIFOLD_p/m-9424-m50cj.htm

Of course this probably won't mean anything when they release the kit but it would be nice to see some cheaper options for each component (Pulse Ring, Intake, Manifold). Sorry if this link is a repost I'm just really excited about more power via a NA option.

I have been watching this setup for some time now and will probably do a CJ/cam/intake conversion this winter.
- Excellent tip on the .5" steeda engine mounts... Thanks!
I am still confused as to which cam (part nos. pls) for the Boss 302.
I notice 302R exhaust cams which are 13 & 263 duration for $199, then another "boss 302" exhaust cam which is 13 & 290 duration at $799.
- Is the 13/290 cam what is in the street Boss? what about intake cams?
How about the oval intake? I see single oval, dual oval, and then a "Ford Racing" dual oval for considerably more money... which one?
Any information welcome & thanks.
Lee.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The cams are lots more expensive because they are made by comp cams for ford out of billet steel. The standard boss cams are a swedged together assembly of parts to make the cams.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
lbp said:
I have been watching this setup for some time now and will probably do a CJ/cam/intake conversion this winter.
- Excellent tip on the .5" steeda engine mounts... Thanks!
I am still confused as to which cam (part nos. pls) for the Boss 302.
I notice 302R exhaust cams which are 13 & 263 duration for $199, then another "boss 302" exhaust cam which is 13 & 290 duration at $799.
- Is the 13/290 cam what is in the street Boss? what about intake cams?
How about the oval intake? I see single oval, dual oval, and then a "Ford Racing" dual oval for considerably more money... which one?
Any information welcome & thanks.
Lee.

From what I understand it is this, regarding TBs:
The "standard" dual-bore is the GT500 TB.
The "FRPP" dual-bore is from the Naturally-Aspirated 5.0 Cobra Jet. (I would pick this one for a B302 w/ CJ intake)
The "FRPP" mono-blade is from the Supercharged 5.0 Cobra Jet.

ArizonaGT said:
From what I understand it is this, regarding TBs:
The "standard" dual-bore is the GT500 TB.
The "FRPP" dual-bore is from the Naturally-Aspirated 5.0 Cobra Jet. (I would pick this one for a B302 w/ CJ intake)
The "FRPP" mono-blade is from the Supercharged 5.0 Cobra Jet.

Many thanks.
This is helpful information.

El Jefe 302 said:

jr

Race tracks have turns!
Where does the tune come from.. and is a tune compatible wit the track key?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
don't think anyone has canned tunes for these yet, so a custom tune would be required. with any aftermarket tune, TK is gone.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
No link but I called Auto Nation Ford (formerly Tousley) to find out when the CJ cold air will become available and got pricing while I was at it. They will be shipping out the end of November.

CJ intake manifold: M-9424-M50CJ $681.45
twin 65mm TB: M-9926-CJ65 $582.75
monoblade CJ TB: M-9926-SCJ $530.25
CJ cold air: M-9603-M50CJ $261.45

these are the best prices I have seen. still a huge investment though. $1500 for an intake setup + tuning costs is high $ for the gains.

pufferfish said:
No link but I called Auto Nation Ford (formerly Tousley) to find out when the CJ cold air will become available and got pricing while I was at it. They will be shipping out the end of November.

CJ intake manifold: M-9424-M50CJ $681.45
twin 65mm TB: M-9926-CJ65 $582.75
monoblade CJ TB: M-9926-SCJ $530.25
CJ cold air: M-9603-M50CJ $261.45

these are the best prices I have seen. still a huge investment though. $1500 for an intake setup + tuning costs is high $ for the gains.

Guys it is well worth it!

pufferfish said:
don't think anyone has canned tunes for these yet, so a custom tune would be required. with any aftermarket tune, TK is gone.

There is a chance VMPTuning.com has canned tune for this as I know they have done several CJ tunes. Probably need to call them. And here again, the TK tune would be gone.

I would highly recommend doing a dyno tune plus going to drive the car with the tuner to see how the car run on the road.

Regards,

Manuel

BOSSPOWER said:
I would highly recommend doing a dyno tune plus going to drive the car with the tuner to see how the car run on the road.

Regards,

Manuel

Agreed.
Dyno Tune will tell the story & afford idiosyncratic adjustments.

Having a good tuner that can tune the drivabilty issues that come with the TB is key, and specially when it's a stick. Been there...thanks to Power by the Hour and Ken I love my beast and the driveabilty is good.

Just my two cents!

Manuel

TMO Supporting Vendors