The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any particular reason you chose the the twin 65mm TB? How about the super cobra jet single oval? Honestly asking because I dont know much about how much flow is ideal for the CJ intake.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Twin 65mm is alot of airflow for a NA application, Single Oval is even more and is good for SuperCharged applications. The twin 65 will be better for idle quality and throttle resonse which are important for Road Race performance. I may even get the stock GT500 twin 60mm TB if the dyno shows any low end issues with the big bores. It is very cheap brand new, like $125.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
Twin 65mm is alot of airflow for a NA application, Single Oval is even more and is good for SuperCharged applications. The twin 65 will be better for idle quality and throttle resonse which are important for Road Race performance. I may even get the stock GT500 twin 60mm TB if the dyno shows any low end issues with the big bores. It is very cheap brand new, like $125.
Steve

You better not put that stuff on before Saturday dude. And take those damn slicks off too ! ;D

Pete,

Your going out-brake everyone on here anyway, not to mention the added hp from your custom decals!

steveespo said:
Did some calculating and the twin 65mm TB is approxiametly equal in area to a 92mm round TB= 6650 square mm, Twin 60 is about a 85mm round= 5652 sq mm. Stock 80mm round is 5024 sq mm in area.
Steve

Plus that is the TB they use on the NA Cobra Jet engine. :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I read an article on the twin vs oval and the oval on an na car usually hurt performance over the twin due to port velocity where on a positive displacement supercharger this isn't a factor as it's pulling in the air. Kenne bell did the testing I believe.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Justin said:
I read an article on the twin vs oval and the oval on an na car usually hurt performance over the twin due to port velocity where on a positive displacement supercharger this isn't a factor as it's pulling in the air. Kenne bell did the testing I believe.
That is correct, so is Bill, thats why I chose the twin 65.
Steve

Revolution Automotive posted some pretty impressive result yesterday on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610034599032540&set=a.150512898318048.26468.150497078319630&type=1&theater

1471802_610034599032540_56915330_n.jpg

470ish hp seems a little lower then the 500ish I was expecting. Can this be due to the Super Cobra Jet oval TB?

Yes it seems a little low but it looks like they sacrifice some HP to get that torque curve.
Because most of the 500hp+ dyno sheet I have seen, loose a lot of torque below 5000rpm.

Probably has to do with their cam design than the TB I think.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I wonder what Rev Auto changed? When I was there, that car was 522rwhp. I drove in it and the top end was sick, but garbage low end. Looks like whatever they changed, fattened the torque curve significantly, which probably makes it far more useful.

Checking FordRacingPartsDirect.com this morning and they have the Cobra Jet intake on sale for $699.95. For anyone thinking of making the swap I doubt you will find a lower price than that.

Steve,

What is required to install an Intake and Throttle Body? I know the tuner adjusts for a CAI by stepping up the flow expected by the ECU, is it a similar process for a high capacity TB and Intake?

sadil said:
Steve,

What is required to install an Intake and Throttle Body? I know the tuner adjusts for a CAI by stepping up the flow expected by the ECU, is it a similar process for a high capacity TB and Intake?

There is some wire connections that have to be done on the TB side also…

Manuel

Manuel, which TB are you running?

Is going with the CJ set-up even good for the guys who live with the 5-7K range? Am i even going to notice anything on the street?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The connector for the throttle body harness needs to have the stock pins removed from the engine harness and put into the new female connector included with the kit. The size of the MAF sensor tube is a parameter figured in the tuning as well as the CFM capacity of the Throttle body. This is no different than any custom tune application out there, glad to see AED worked with revolution auto on a CJ tune so they have some experience with how it performs and responds. Looks like they created a good road race tune vs a peak rpm killer tune. That torque curve is excellent. Peak HP at 7500 is great for the GT guys, Boss heads with the good springs would work well with a 7800 peak and 8000 overrun.

Without breaking into the engine and doing cams I don't expect more than 465 at the tires but I'll be happy with that bump from 432.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
there's more to that engine than they are saying. it is a gt short block, but heads are ported and blended and they are using longtubes.

for giggles, i used microsoft paint to draw my power curves on top of theirs. its not a perfect comparison, but the tuner and dyno are the same and the heads are probably close. he has bigger exhaust, bigger cams and of course the bigger intake.

jhd8.jpg

the light green is with the gt intake. the red is with the boss intake. you can see how much low end is lost due to the cams, but the mid range (4-6k rpm) is really interesting. tq is split between the gt and the boss. the hp is toe to toe with the gt intake until 5700, where it starts to show its legs...of course with the help of the cams, it has the boss intake by a full 50hp and 25tq to redline. this is probably more like a 10hp and 5tq gain with stock boss cams.

but it has peaked my interests in giving the CJ intake a shot! it really does appear to have the best of both worlds. gt mid range with boss (and more) top end. if the boys at Rev auto wanted to get my car back on the rollers for a true gt vs boss vs cj intake comparison, i would be game!

TMO Supporting Vendors