The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

gauges/ A/C / windows (can't go down or up ) turn off and on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
PITTSBURG
hello, i got my 2017 gt350 last year i've gotten all the maintenance done by ford dealership. i just recently started having problem where the gauges/ A/C / windows (can't go down or up ) turn off and on. sometimes it doesn't do it but other times it does it multiple times. if i can get some help with what's the problem or could be the problem. if someone has/had the same issues as me with be and told me how to fix it would greatly appreciated!

this isn't my video,but this is was it does exactly like mine

car.jpg

Watch your voltage with your RPMs. If you see a voltage spike when going above 3k RPM then 9/10 times your alternator harness is damaged.
The car will shutdown electronics during this spike (17-18V) to protect them, then when RPMs drop the voltage drops, and everything comes back to life.

You can limp the car home keeping it under 2.5k rpm but it's not fun ask how I know lol.

Luckily this is a cheap fix. You just need a new 3 pin pigtail either from Ford or a Third party.

The vibrations/heat can damage the pins inside the connector causing it to lose signal to the voltage regulator. You can reach down and trying jamming the wires into the connector to test if this is the issue. Usually, it will fix it, but it will only last for a little while. Only a replacement will fully solve it.

Also, luckily it is an easy fix. You can open up the oil filter hatch on the bellypan which sits right below the alternator. I was able to jack up the front and had enough space through that opening to splice in the new pigtail. A reputable shop should be able to do it in 30 minutes.

Watch your voltage with your RPMs. If you see a voltage spike when going above 3k RPM then 9/10 times your alternator harness is damaged.
The car will shutdown electronics during this spike (17-18V) to protect them, then when RPMs drop the voltage drops, and everything comes back to life.

You can limp the car home keeping it under 2.5k rpm but it's not fun ask how I know lol.

Luckily this is a cheap fix. You just need a new 3 pin pigtail either from Ford or a Third party.

The vibrations/heat can damage the pins inside the connector causing it to lose signal to the voltage regulator. You can reach down and trying jamming the wires into the connector to test if this is the issue. Usually, it will fix it, but it will only last for a little while. Only a replacement will fully solve it.

Also, luckily it is an easy fix. You can open up the oil filter hatch on the bellypan which sits right below the alternator. I was able to jack up the front and had enough space through that opening to splice in the new pigtail. A reputable shop should be able to do it in 30 minutes.for t

Also, luckily it is an easy fix. You can open up the oil filter hatch on the bellypan which sits right below the alternator. I was able to jack up the front and had enough space through that opening to splice in the new pigtail. A reputable shop should be able to do it in 30 minutes.
thanks for helping me ill change it and give you an update !!!!!! as fast as i can

Id start by checking the battery first. If that doesn't fix it look into the alternator then harness. I have roughly 100 track days on my GT350 and we thought the heat got to my harness but that wasn't the case. It was the alternator.

Id start by checking the battery first. If that doesn't fix it look into the alternator then harness. I have roughly 100 track days on my GT350 and we thought the heat got to my harness but that wasn't the case. It was the alternator.
if i was to do the harness do you know which OEM part to go for. i just want to be correct.

I don't off the top of my head but search for posts by me and you'll find it. Id do it but I donthave time to search for right now
hey i found this, is this the correct one ??? Engine Harness - Ford (GU5Z-12A581-SU) i found my battery and alternator add good so im guessing its the harness

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.58.55 PM.png

I'm not sure which harness it is for sure as I just spliced in a new pigtail.
This is the exact one I used for my repair

I used theses to join it

It seems up to par with Ford's official splicing guide which calls for a crimp then heatshrink.

IMO The stock pigtail has very little slack, which combine that with vibrations heat and motor movement could cause it to degrade faster. I left about an 1 1/2 in of slack on mine time will tell if it holds up longer than the stock one.

alo

did you change the harness yourself? if you did, was it hard to do?
i checked my battery and alternator they both came back as healthy
After a misdiagnosis and mine looked bad it came out to be the alternator. Thats why I advised to check the battery and alternator first. I have a NIB now because sending it back was over 100 dollars. I have heard from others in the community that it can make for a "not fun afternoon".

After a misdiagnosis and mine looked bad it came out to be the alternator. Thats why I advised to check the battery and alternator first. I have a NIB now because sending it back was over 100 dollars. I have heard from others in the community that it can make for a "not fun afternoon".
do you know any good places that can work on q gt350 to replace the harness. i don't trust myself to do it or i don't wanna drop 7800-8500 (what i got quoted for) for the dealer to do it.

Last edited:
do you know any good places that can work on q gt350 to replace the harness. i don't trust myself to do it or i don't wanna drop 7800-8500 (what i got quoted for) for the dealer to do it.
Trent at Sonoma. He is 1 of the 2 people I let work on my GT350. He is our Local Mustang expert. Most of the NorCal guys and some SoCal people here use him.

DM me for his contact info. He is a TMO member but I don't recall his username, therefore I cant tag him.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel