The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Goodyear 3R ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im assuming you looking for longevity and consistency. Avon and Cooper ( related companies) have basically the same information on scub in.

Rob is the tyre guy.

He has suggestions in this thread way at the bottom of this page.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I've heat-cycled Hoosiers & other R-comp tires for autocross by doing figure-eights in a parking lot about a mile from home. Start really easy and work up to 7-8/10ths over a couple minutes. Easy drive back home and take them off the car for 48 hours after heat-cycling.

Monaca Pa
I've heat-cycled Hoosiers & other R-comp tires for autocross by doing figure-eights in a parking lot about a mile from home. Start really easy and work up to 7-8/10ths over a couple minutes. Easy drive back home and take them off the car for 48 hours after heat-cycling.
Thanks Dave. Now I have to find a parking lot that won’t hassle me lol

I'm not sure that will get them hot enough, the idea is to warm them up but not grind off any tread, I'd just drive them on the highway for about 20 miles in the heat of the day.
This is a bit of a black art, I've warme dthem up gradually, I've had to use qualifying to do it, I've done it at Daytona when the weather was cold, and I've burned them up and dipped them in ice water for a specific track. I think gradually would be the best way

Last edited:
TX
while I am no tire wizard like blacksheep - I haven't been able to tell much of a difference between just sending it and properly breaking in r compound DOT-approved tires like the 3Rs. They all last about ~2 days worth of HPDE session and are fast the entire 2 days.

So now I just send it from session 1 until they're done

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
the idea is to warm them up but not grind off any tread
The tire guru has it right. My entire goal doing the easy figure-8s was to generate heat into the carcass without sliding the contact patch. Ancient article from Tire Rack, but good info, and instead of figure-8s they do 100 highway miles -

Here are some of the details I've learned over the years on heat-cycling:
  • The goal is to break down medium-length polymer chains in the rubber into shorter chains through both heating and flexing, and then have them repolymerize into longer chains during a rest period
  • The tire needs to get to 170-180F across the entire tread face - if you're running a good amount of camber, do some turning to heat the outside; ideally that temperature is into the carcass, so heat slowly
  • The tire needs to be flexed, but DO NOT slide the tire
  • The tire needs to rest with no load (off the car, or put the car on jackstands) for at least 24 hours, preferably 48
  • Tire Rack does it the right way, for a reasonable price
  • Tire Rack's heat cycling may not remove all the mold-release agent from the tread face, and some tires may still take a few runs to "clean up" and give best times
Also, I think the general consensus is that tire life (and degredation from age) starts at the first heat cycle.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel