The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GTPP Rotors & Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
My Roush is in need of new rotors and pads thanks to a couple of days at Gingerman. The last couple of times I've been out I started pushing the car harder and I went from very slow wear on the stock GTPP Brembo setup to eating them up. It was made clear that pushing it harder is going to require more pad. It's an 18 with Vorshlag like deflectors on it, 305/30-19 RT660 tires, Roush triple adjustable (KW-V3) shocks/struts and a 750hp Roush tune. I managed to go a few laps too far and scarred the inside of the passenger rotor. @EF1 was nice enough to let me use his spare G-loc R16 to get me back going. Due to the damage on the rotor, I don't think I had a fair test of what the R18s are capable of. Now it's time to get everything replaced and I'm trying to decide which direction to go. I do both HPDE and autocross, so that adds some complication. I know that's a different application, as autocross needs grip at cold temps and HPDE needs to withstand lots of heat. My thought is to run either Centric or OEM discs and either G-loc (R16/R12) or Pagid (??) pads. Switching out front pads isn't a big deal, so I'd be alright with switching them based on usage. I'd probably actually start with autocross pads and get track pads later if it'll make enough difference by having 2 sets. I'm OK with noise, dust, etc. while driving it on the street. For the rotors, I've seen several different lines for the Centrics, and Ford has quite a few different OEM numbers. For Centric, is the high carbon worth the extra cost? Is there a different one that's better (or better bang for the buck)? Are there actually different Ford rotors, or do they all supersede to whatever the latest number is? I've done quite a bit of searching in the forum and really didn't see anything that quite answered the question with my setup. Any insight would be helpful. Also, if there's another setup that you feel is a better bang for the buck, I'm interested in hearing about that, too. My conversations at the track earlier this week pointed me in this general direction, so that's what I've been looking at.

Last edited:
The pads I gave you at Gingerman were R16, not R18. I have not tried the R18 yet. I think I have enough pad for my current grip level. I would like to try the Pagid pads at some point as well. I have been told to use the RST3 on front and RSL29 compound on the rear.

The pads I gave you at Gingerman were R16, not R18. I have not tried the R18 yet. I think I have enough pad for my current grip level. I would like to try the Pagid pads at some point as well. I have been told to use the RST3 on front and RSL29 compound on the rear.
Oops! Corrected it. Thanks!

If you're going to switch pads, you have to think about cleaning the rotors and bedding the pads / rotors each time. There are some makers (Carbotech, maybe G-Loc) that have a/x and track compounds that are compatible so you don't have to do that when swapping.

Like you said, for a/x you want a pad that has good cold bite, and pretty much all track pads need some heat before they work well. Depending on how much pad you need on track, there may be some compounds that will work reasonably well for both conditions. Some of the manufacturers have temp/friction charts on their websites that you may find handy.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel