The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 JULIE Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I don’t believe that but maybe “manageable expectations for the first time” thoughts !!
Is that a new ARAI helmet ?? NICE
My biker buddy always tells me when we go to the track to “keep it between the ditches” so ………
Stay safe there Andy !! Do your best !!

Not new you just never saw it from the top I bet. Its the same one as in my photo on the left

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Dang, hard to believe and definitely something covered under warranty. Sorry to hear and that is an extremely odd issue to have with a Mustang.

No warranty that I know of and I don't think track insurance covers mechanical repairs.

Parts failure is all I can think of. We were not driving the car that hard. Maybe 10 secs of race pace. Still learning it

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Duh , was reading too quickly and thought it was dragoon's car , and not Julie. Obviously not warranty so chalk it up to a Senior moment. You may not have been driving it that hard , but it is likely from past races. One thing about a used race car, it is not uncommon to have surprises you do not expect. Let us know the damage when you get it apart.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Duh , was reading too quickly and thought it was dragoon's car , and not Julie. Obviously not warranty so chalk it up to a Senior moment. You may not have been driving it that hard , but it is likely from past races. One thing about a used race car, it is not uncommon to have surprises you do not expect. Let us know the damage when you get it apart.
Hey, I resemble those senior moments also Bill

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Sorry it's the red diff not trans. I was thinking diff cover
Those pics didn't look like a Magnum XL bell housing. It sucks that you broke, but look at the bright side. Rear diffs are cheaper to fix than tranny's and the parts are usually easier to get. Good luck on the repairs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Those pics didn't look like a Magnum XL bell housing. It sucks that you broke, but look at the bright side. Rear diffs are cheaper to fix than tranny's and the parts are usually easier to get. Good luck on the repairs.
Yeah for sure. Thanks Eric. Man we were flying that weekend before this too!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Was great meeting you this weekend and chatting a bit. Wish we had more time to hang but track is always hectic haha. Did not know about the rear diff failure, that sucks. Glad it at least made it through almost all of the event.

It was great spending some time James for sure!!! How did you like the event?

Did you get into HPDE2?

Yeah the car is a total bummer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
It was great spending some time James for sure!!! How did you like the event?

Did you get into HPDE2?

Yeah the car is a total bummer.

Loved the event and learned a ton. Came out of the weekend a much better driver than I was going in, and really want to focus on attending more NASA events next season. I guess I'll have to come clean in front of everyone hahaha- I did not move up to HPDE 2. On the first day I improved each session and my instructor was very happy with my driving- he was confident by the end of that first day that I was ready for HPDE 2. Sunday morning after our first session he was like "yeah I think you can do your test out ride next session" and was confident I would pass. So I did the written test and self assessment, and got in the car with the HPDE 1 leader. First two laps I did excellent and thought everything was going well. He mentioned I needed to dive deeper in one turn, and I needed to work on my brake pedal release as I was letting off the brake too fast going into the turns. So no problem, I adjusted for this. Well, shiznit. Going into turn 1 after the straight I got in my head (nerves too) and thought too hard about the braking, and trying to make it smooth release just didn't brake enough. Went in way too f***ing hot lol. I tried saving it as best as I could, and we went into a spin in the field right between turn 1 and 2. Got right back on track, pitted out to get the green light to go back on, and finished the session. But the group leader said I will have to work on my brake release before moving up to HPDE 2. It was my first NASA event so I wasn't expecting to move out of group 1 anyway, but still, was disappointed that I got too in my head.

Going back to Autobahn in less than a week (Oct 9) and looking forward to practicing more of what I learned.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel