The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 JULIE Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
What did you find out on the rear diff?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Car is at the shop now. Picking it up tomorrow.

Gear for sure are gone. Rear wheels spin and the driveshaft does not.
Pretty sure that's not a good sign. :(

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Darn, hard to hear, but the Season is about over so at least it is something you can get repaired over the Winter. Hang in there, most of us who have had pure racing machines have gone through some similar issues and once you get things sorted you will surprisingly forget most of these items as your scream around many road courses!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Update..

Looks like the rebuild rear was not done very well. The two bearings that attach to the LSD basically fell off once they started taking everything apart. My shop says they should have been pressed on and they were not. So long story short, EVERYTHING in the rear will now be new. T2R with 4.10 going back in the car.

Here are some pics. Teeth are GONE!!

IMG_6472.jpg

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_20231011_111506.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Darn, hard to hear, but the Season is about over so at least it is something you can get repaired over the Winter. Hang in there, most of us who have had pure racing machines have gone through some similar issues and once you get things sorted you will surprisingly forget most of these items as your scream around many road courses!

She should be back up and running in about 10 days.

Heading to Ozarks for the last event of 23. Big plans for 24. ST1 and thunder racing with NASA is the plan

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
no clue, hard to tell from the picture but the surface was scuff to get them to hold better.
The scuffing was more likely from them removing material so the bearings would slip on without a press. Probably took emory cloth to the carrier or a flapper wheel to the bearings. It looks like a really nice car. I hope you don’t find too many more short cuts taken by the previous owner.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
The scuffing was more likely from them removing material so the bearings would slip on without a press. Probably took emory cloth to the carrier or a flapper wheel to the bearings. It looks like a really nice car. I hope you don’t find too many more short cuts taken by the previous owner.

This should be a rare thing to find on the car. Been talking to the previous owner about it. He did not do the rebuild.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Going through tech right now to get my Trec license and prep for Ozarks.

Got my log book from the old owner. That is really cool stuff in here. Fire bottle is expired so need to get that done soon.

My plan for Ozarks is to run the first 1.5 hours of the 4 hour race and see how it goes. I can come back out for the final hour if I want. This will be my first real taste of side by side racing besides karting. So jacked!

PXL_20231016_214553372.jpg

PXL_20231016_214603310.jpg

PXL_20231016_221653817.jpg

PXL_20231016_214613347.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
New tow rig! This should work great on the way to Ozarks!

View attachment 90846
The Tremor package is the best of both worlds for guys that tow - lots of the same interior features and plushness of the Raptor, but with traditional 1/2 ton suspension package so you can tow. Good choice!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
3.5 Eco, thing hauls ass
Yeah, Mine runs pretty hard too...but that mileage tho. :mad:
If you drive it like an old man it's not bad....but if you drive it like me it's all about 12 mpg and that's with a shortcab/bed 2wd. :rolleyes:
In for updates. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel