The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for help on fitting my 295/40r18's on my 2013 gt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arkansas
I just purchased a new to my 2013 mustang gt that came with apex ec7 18x11 wheels with 295/40r18 tires. It appears that my front tires are rubbing due to how far they stick out. It's rubbing right at the edge of the tread to the sidewall on the fender. I'm super green on cars and trying to figure out the best way to solve this. Here are a few ideas I've come up with, but it's hard to tell if one is better than any of the others.

additional details:
it's currently on koni yellows, maximum motor sports camber plates, and has some size of cortex spacer installed. It appears to be a 16-19mm spacer based on what I can tell from my calipers. Front rotors are from a gt500 with the 6 piston brembo installed on them.

possible solutions:
It currently sits with no camber, I could see about upping this to try to fix the clearance, but I don't know how fast that would kill my tires. Napkin math seems to think I might gain 10mm of clearance per 1 degree. I think 2-2.5 degrees could make it clear the fender

I own a set of koni cortex coil overs with an offset to fit a 315mm tire. I could install those, but I don't know if that will fix this problem or not.

I could see about reducing the spacer, but I do have the 6 piston brembos on this, and it might make clearance issues on the other side.

I could see about rolling the fenders, I don't really want to modify the body as it's so clean, but will consider it.

I own a set of sve drifts that are 18x10 and I could buy new tires. I really don't want to do this if I can avoid it due to cost.

You might want to try with out the spacer if you are rubbing on the out side. the Apex wheels will have no problems with the 15" discs of the 6pt brembos. If you have the Cortex setup then put them on!! Its a great improvement. Most of us have tracked with 315/30-18's up front with no need for rolling fenders etc. Do you have lowering springs??

the 18in Drifts will not fit over the 15" discs. -2.5 camber would help as well!

"It currently sits with no camber...."
You definitely need front negative camber for that setup.
Also confirm you have a square wheel setup with the same offset wheels all around. Although less common, some people set that up with staggered offset wheels so they don't have to use the spacers.
Good luck, that setup is definitely worth the slight hassle to make it all work.

"It currently sits with no camber...."
You definitely need front negative camber for that setup.
Also confirm you have a square wheel setup with the same offset wheels all around. Although less common, some people set that up with staggered offset wheels so they don't have to use the spacers.
Good luck, that setup is definitely worth the slight hassle to make it all work.
I just got this car on Saturday I will see about adjusting camber this weekend for sure.

I'm 99% sure it's a square setup. I might be able to get it to clear with removing the spacer. I will give that a go sooner to see if that might clear it as well.

This car appears to have primarily been a track car, and I'm likely to street it more in the near future and trying some autocross and hdpe stuff next year.

I ran Falken 615's & 660's 295/40-18's on my 2012 Boss 302 , Vorshlag caster camber plates, 2-2.5 camber, Ford Racing lowering springs, Whiteline Watts linkage, 20mm spacer on the front. Apex 18 x 11 wheels, no rubbing issues with the fenders. I swapped into RT660's 315/30-18's this year. Did not need to change spacers on the front. I should put some sterring limiters on the rack. The 295's rub the fender liners at full lock.. A little better grip, the shorter height has cost me some top speed in the top of second gear, so lots of shifting this year. I run autocross, the one facility we use is a track at the local college where law enforcement does their driver training. We get some fast runs there.

I ran Falken 615's & 660's 295/40-18's on my 2012 Boss 302 , Vorshlag caster camber plates, 2-2.5 camber, Ford Racing lowering springs, Whiteline Watts linkage, 20mm spacer on the front. Apex 18 x 11 wheels, no rubbing issues with the fenders. I swapped into RT660's 315/30-18's this year. Did not need to change spacers on the front. I should put some sterring limiters on the rack. The 295's rub the fender liners at full lock.. A little better grip, the shorter height has cost me some top speed in the top of second gear, so lots of shifting this year. I run autocross, the one facility we use is a track at the local college where law enforcement does their driver training. We get some fast runs there.
That's super helpful to know. I bought an Amazon camber gauge that will be here today and I'm going to try to set it to 2.2.5ish degrees.

I'm mostly going go street this car so I'm trying to save some tire wear if possible, but it sounds like I'm going to need a lot of camber for these to clear.

I hope to get out to some hdpe events next year after my checking account recovers

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel