The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

McLeod RXT Clutch Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ArizonaGT said:
I hope this spring removal feels as good as everyone says it does--because it looks like it will be difficult to replace once removed.
oh its easy to get in and out using the needle nose vice grips.

its fairly easy. push the pedal all the way down
clamp two coils with the vice grips.
While still holding down the pedal pull down on the upper perch should and pull towards you once you have it pulled down far enough to clear the upper mount.

reinstalling even easier.
clamp two coils with said vice grips
place the bottom in its perch then while pulling down with your hand compress the spring a little more and swing the top into place.

once you get up in there and have it out it will all make sense. if I was inport I would make a quick video since I have the stock pedal assembly laying on the garage floor.

Are there any possible negative effects to this change, aside from possibly not liking the new feel (which I doubt).

Justin

JB said:
Are there any possible negative effects to this change, aside from possibly not liking the new feel (which I doubt).
none that I know of. some have broken the upper mount taking it out using other methods.
I didnt like it with the stock clutch. I like it out with my twin disc clutch though...

Justin said:
none that I know of. some have broken the upper mount taking it out using other methods.
I didnt like it with the stock clutch. I like it out with my twin disc clutch though...

Justin, did you say you didn't like having the spring out with a stock clutch? Would you advise not removing the spring until I upgrade my clutch?

Justin

Insurme said:
Justin, did you say you didn't like having the spring out with a stock clutch? Would you advise not removing the spring until I upgrade my clutch?
I advise you try it for yourself. if you dont like it put it back in. its not permanent to try it

Insurme said:
How the pedal would feel with the spring removed was a concern of mine. With my aftermarket clutch removing the spring gives it a better feel but I'm not sure if I'd like it with the stock clutch. The aftermarket clutch engages very high up and feels lighter than stock.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
So I'm at Summit Motorsports Park and I'm really thinking of trying the RXT, after all this time would you recommend it, I'm having a hard time finding gears at 7300.

Justin

unrealford said:
So I'm at Summit Motorsports Park and I'm really thinking of trying through RXT, after all this time would you recommend it, I'm having a hard time finding gears at 7300.
after 8k miles on my centerforce dyad I recommend it

unrealford said:
So I'm at Summit Motorsports Park and I'm really thinking of trying through RXT, after all this time would you recommend it, I'm having a hard time finding gears at 7300.
I haven't missed a shift with it yet. Give me until next Friday as I have a track day at Laguna Seca next Thursday and the last time I was there I had a lot of shifting lock out. I will say it has broken in nicely and is now not nearly as grabby as it was. It's still a bit more difficult to get rolling than the stock clutch. It does feel a bit more like a RCWALP now. ;D

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
At this event their offering 40% off. I need to jump on this, can I reuse flywheel. I really don't have the extra money for it. I only have 5,000 miles on my car but I really need a consistent shift for drag racing.
I'll never win events running 12.0 then 12.8...then 12.3...im all over the place.
Right now my Tranny is good, if it ever needs service will Ford Void my warranty because of clutch?

unrealford said:
At this event their offering 40% off. I need to jump on this, can I reuse flywheel. I really don't have the extra money for it. I only have 5,000 miles on my car but I really need a consistent shift for drag racing.
I'll never win events running 12.0 then 12.8...then 12.3...im all over the place.
Right now my Tranny is good, if it ever needs service will Ford Void my warranty because of clutch?
I paid $1,400 for the clutch, flywheel and competition pulse ring plus installation. The aftermarket clutch shouldn't change the tranny warranty but it will depend on your dealer. It might. You need a new flywheel because their smaller discs don't mate with the stock flywheel. Talk to them and they will explain why.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
unrealford said:

My dealer installed my RST clutch, fly wheel, clutch line and FR shift kit while they were rebuilding my transmission. I lost any warranty on the clutch but transmission is still under warranty. I would go ahead and get after market clutch in there. What are you running for your shifter? I would think drag racing shifting would warrant a different type of shifter then what we use for open track driving like MGW or Ford racing (Barton). I would call McLeod and talk to them about what you are doing with the car. That's what I did when I went with their RST. Speaking of warranty I would forget to mention that you drag race the car if I were you in dealing with the dealer for any warranty.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: McLeod RXT Clutch Installation

Domestic Product said:
My dealer installed my RST clutch, fly wheel, clutch line and FR shift kit while they were rebuilding my transmission. I lost any warranty on the clutch but transmission is still under warranty. I would go ahead and get after market clutch in there. What are you running for your shifter? I would think drag racing shifting would warrant a different type of shifter then what we use for open track driving like MGW or Ford racing (Barton). I would call McLeod and talk to them about what you are doing with the car. That's what I did when I went with their RST. Speaking of warranty I would forget to mention that you drag race the car if I were you in dealing with the dealer for any warranty.
How do you like it compared to the stock setup, like peddle engagement,, and shifting. I have a MGW shifter. I talked with the people at the McLeod stand almost 45 minutes. They recommend the RXT with drag racing, and told me not to bother buying a new flywheel.
There's lots of info he gave me.
1) The sticking to the floor is more of a throw out bearing spring pressure is sure.
2) Resurface steel flywheel and get it balanced and marked for assembly.
Says there's about 1/8 of disc that isn't being contacted by stock flywheel and its not enough of any concern to purchase a flywheel to cover the extra 1/8.
3) He mentioned over a full week testing on just flywheel swaps the motor will get almost 20hp gain just with a Aluminum flywheel, but the Boss revs pretty good and the steel with help with torque which is important for Drag racing.

I talked to three different people on this including a guy named Bill at McLeod and Lethal Performance. They all said you should replace the flywheel although they all said the stock one would work but it's not ideal. The flywheel is not cheap but I wanted to do it right from the beginning. I'm very surprised the McLeod rep told you not to replace the flywheel. I have the steel flywheel.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: McLeod RXT Clutch Installation

NFSBOSS said:
I talked to three different people on this including a guy named Bill at McLeod and Lethal Performance. They all said you should replace the flywheel although they all said the stock one would work but it's not ideal. The flywheel is not cheap but I wanted to do it right from the beginning. I'm very surprised the McLeod rep told you not to replace the flywheel. I have the steel flywheel.
What's the difference between the factory pulse ring and the one you purchased...... NEVERMIND I FOUND info on the link you provided, its made for higher RPM applications, looks like something our Bosses should have came with ( tsk tsk Ford. LoL) looks like a great idea though.
. I'm going to have to look into, who in my area can balance pressure plate / flywheels.
I'm staying with steel also.
He did say if you purchased the aluminum flywheel and clutch setup, they balance it for you.

I'm now half way through my RST install. What a nightmare. I'm pretty sure the dealer over torqued the nuts when they warranteed the cats last summer. Spent 3 hours getting one of them off. You'll probably be able to tell which one it is in the photos. :eek:

I had access to a lift and my friend helped me. He just did the same clutch in his '11 GT350 so he's pretty well versed on the procedure. Actually the procedure is the same as any other clutch. Get everything out of the way, unhook everything, and remove. Waaay easier written than done. :p

Hey what's the story on the boot on the carrier bearing on the drive shaft? Mine is in 3 pieces. What are my options here? Not really interested in throwing more money on an aluminum drive shaft right now.

Of course I took some pics.

First drive in the rain in car 3041. It did need a wash..

017_zps87852e23.jpg

Found more damage done by idiot previous owner.

020_zps0062aefe.jpg

I felt a little like Gilligan on a three hour tour here.

025_zps8778c771.jpg

Here's the 5th different socket we tried on it.

026_zps6263555c.jpg

Shocked the stud look like it never participated in battle. Put Super Penetrant on there a week in advance if you're doing this job.

042_zps56ad765f.jpg

Stock clutch.

030_zpsab2f2551.jpg

RST.

038_zpsa5aa0a4b.jpg

Here's my torn boot.

039_zpsc6502575.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel