The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
San Diego, Ca.
Hello,
I have been racing Vintage Formula Fords for the past 12 years with SVRA , i am now switching to safer ( so my wife thinks) vintage race car.
I recently purchased a 1968 Mustang Trans am race car.
I need to change out the seat as it was obviously set up for a midget or at least a smaller driver than my fat ass currently is ;-)
So...any suggestions for seats and mounts?

Thank you,
Bret Gann
San Diego, Ca.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Hello,
I have been racing Vintage Formula Fords for the past 12 years with SVRA , i am now switching to safer ( so my wife thinks) vintage race car.
I recently purchased a 1968 Mustang Trans am race car.
I need to change out the seat as it was obviously set up for a midget or at least a smaller driver than my fat ass currently is ;-)
So...any suggestions for seats and mounts?

Thank you,
Bret Gann
San Diego, Ca.
Boy that's going to be a subjective one...I can tell you what I like and let others do the same.
I am a Kirkey aluminum seat fan. Been using them since the 80's.

I don't like all that containment seat crap, but I can see why people do...
This is what's in my car.

Depending on your hip measurement you might like an 18" wide seat. The one pictured is 17".

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
San Diego, Ca.
Summit has them is several sizes....
Thanks, yes i have been considering the series 65 seat.
Containment seats look amazing, although anything is safer than being in a 45 year old open wheel car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Containment seats look amazing, although anything is safer than being in a 45 year old open wheel car.
The containment seats are hard to get in and out of. Imagine your car upside down and on fire….could you get out fast enough? With a helmet and Hanns on? I know I couldn’t. The penalty for not having a containment seat is using a center net….with a quick release buckle on it….I’ll choose that every time.

IMG_4597.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, I always thought open wheel cars were a lot like sticking your head out of a manhole on a busy street.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Vancouver, Washington
New to the forum here.

My toy:
2005 Mustang GT
Cervinis body parts
Some bolt-ons under the hood. As soon as she is finished being tuned, I want to switch to E85 for the summer. Since the car is barely driven? Tuning has taken quite a while.

Other S197 plans:
Turbo
Cams (only interested in the idle)
FRPP intake manifold (only for better looks)
Refinish the wheels. If I can find someone to repolish them? Good. If not? They will go to a powder coater (do like the Darkstars)

Next I need to start working my suspension next. Picked up a set if GT500 shocks/struts. Now trying to pick out spring with mininal drop. Have a terrible time with local driveways and speed bumps with the front bumper and eventual the turbo set-up I want. Also debating running different brands from the front to the rear. Sadly, price is also a limitation.

My interests go towards the drag. Please input any ideas I might have missed. Been checking out many builds and brands.

Other interests? Powerlifting. Been out of the gym a few years now. Just got my 2nd hip surgery. Can't be back in the gym soon enough.

Thank you for any input or recommendations.

Jason20230501_174116.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami, FL
Been lurking on TMO for a while now (my go-to source for any questions that I've had and figured others have answered).

Picked up a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca last year. I have predominately been using it for cruising between Chicago, NYC, and Miami. Definitely not what it was intended for, but it is an incredible cruiser: a lot more comfortable than my (former) WRX STI and way more fun around town than my (former) Supra.

The Boss is completely stock right now, but I've ordered a MGW shifter and plan to replace the clutch in order to resolve the high RPM lockout issue. Been contemplating suspension options since the shocks are over a decade old now, but it hasn't really been a problem since South Florida is home to some of the most boring roads (not to be confused with its "interesting" drivers) and I don't really have too many vacation days to spare for the track, unfortunately. The only time I wished the car was more nimble was when I passed through the Dragon. Other than that, maybe QTP valves so that I can open up the side exhausts on demand and listen to its wonderful roar.

Anyway, until I have more time/energy, I'll mostly be lurking and learning from the wealth of knowledge you all have to offer. Thanks in advance for having me here.

- Cas

totg2023.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Been lurking on TMO for a while now (my go-to source for any questions that I've had and figured others have answered).

Picked up a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca last year. I have predominately been using it for cruising between Chicago, NYC, and Miami. Definitely not what it was intended for, but it is an incredible cruiser: a lot more comfortable than my (former) WRX STI and way more fun around town than my (former) Supra.

The Boss is completely stock right now, but I've ordered a MGW shifter and plan to replace the clutch in order to resolve the high RPM lockout issue. Been contemplating suspension options since the shocks are over a decade old now, but it hasn't really been a problem since South Florida is home to some of the most boring roads (not to be confused with its "interesting" drivers) and I don't really have too many vacation days to spare for the track, unfortunately. The only time I wished the car was more nimble was when I passed through the Dragon. Other than that, maybe QTP valves so that I can open up the side exhausts on demand and listen to its wonderful roar.

Anyway, until I have more time/energy, I'll mostly be lurking and learning from the wealth of knowledge you all have to offer. Thanks in advance for having me here.

- Cas

View attachment 88345
Welcome!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are planning to track the Black Beast , look into some simple upgrades first to go fast before tackling major items. The MGW short throw shifter is a great start and with a Camber Plate for negative camber, some solid brake pads , lighter and wider wheels, along with some better rubber you will be on your way to some track fun. After driving the car on a road course or doing some autocrossing, you will find more and more why many folks find the Boss as one of the most enjoyable track cars ever built. The Supreme Stick Axle Star is positive proof one does not need an independent rear axle to go fast.

Great pic, by the way!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you are planning to track the Black Beast , look into some simple upgrades first to go fast before tackling major items. The MGW short throw shifter is a great start and with a Camber Plate for negative camber, some solid brake pads , lighter and wider wheels, along with some better rubber you will be on your way to some track fun. After driving the car on a road course or doing some autocrossing, you will find more and more why many folks find the Boss as one of the most enjoyable track cars ever built. The Supreme Stick Axle Star is positive proof one does not need an independent rear axle to go fast.

Great pic, by the way!
And don’t forget to bleed your brakes!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami, FL
Thanks, all!

The first thing I did was flush the brake fluid because the pedal is softer than I'd like. Unfortunately, that didn't really do much, but I've gotten used to it.

I did winter it (drove through some snow in Illinois and Indiana) and determined that the stock pads need to warm up a bit before they're effective. Not really a problem in Florida, but I am considering swapping to another pad that at least has better initial bite. I'll need to do some more research on that.

Suspension wise, based on some old threads here, I'm looking at going with FRPP (bump stops, T springs, LCA relocation bracket, panhard bar), some to-be-determined LCA's, non-adjustable Bilstein B6 shocks, and Vorshlag camber plates. For wheels, considering the tried-and-true option of going square with Apex 18x11's and 25mm spacers up front. I am very green when it comes to performance driving, so figure these things (as well as a good helmet) should be more than enough to get me started.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
Hi, this is John, I currently reside in upstate-ish SC before than it was Hudson Valley NY. I got my first Mustang in April of 2023, it is basically a bare stock GT with MT82 and active exhaust. Before this, I had a Challenger ScatPack Widebody, but that vehicle turned out to be a lemon and I also wanted to learn and experience more about HPDE, Autocross and basicaly tracking my vehicle, which Challenger does not even come close. I do not have any track experience and very eager to learn and absorb everything I can to make it safe for myself and everyone around me. I am in my mid 30's, first gen American, haven't had much chance to experience motorsports up to this point and then again I won't be able to pour a lot of money into this but I'll at least try to reach the highest level that I can that life allows me to.

Thanks so much for reading!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hi, this is John, I currently reside in upstate-ish SC before than it was Hudson Valley NY. I got my first Mustang in April of 2023, it is basically a bare stock GT with MT82 and active exhaust. Before this, I had a Challenger ScatPack Widebody, but that vehicle turned out to be a lemon and I also wanted to learn and experience more about HPDE, Autocross and basicaly tracking my vehicle, which Challenger does not even come close. I do not have any track experience and very eager to learn and absorb everything I can to make it safe for myself and everyone around me. I am in my mid 30's, first gen American, haven't had much chance to experience motorsports up to this point and then again I won't be able to pour a lot of money into this but I'll at least try to reach the highest level that I can that life allows me to.

Welcome!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Jose, CA

Welcome!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome John, and since you comment your budget may be limited , do the things that will actually help you go faster as you learn. Make sure you have fresh DOT 4 brake fluid in your Mustang when you go to your first HPDE, and then do the following as you progress.
1. Better brake pads
2. Camber plate ( M&M or Vorshlag ) along with a street/track alignment so you are not chewing up your tires a bunch.
3. Bigger wheels
4. Better tires

Folks will add to this, but a simple progression will work the best and so many go down the rabbit hole spending till their credit cards bleed on motor upgrades, major suspension mods, big brake kit upgrades , and they are still running on El Crappo tires and confused why they are not going much faster. Do the simple stuff , as it is often the best to go quicker and learn.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
Welcome John, and since you comment your budget may be limited , do the things that will actually help you go faster as you learn. Make sure you have fresh DOT 4 brake fluid in your Mustang when you go to your first HPDE, and then do the following as you progress.
1. Better brake pads
2. Camber plate ( M&M or Vorshlag ) along with a street/track alignment so you are not chewing up your tires a bunch.
3. Bigger wheels
4. Better tires

Folks will add to this, but a simple progression will work the best and so many go down the rabbit hole spending till their credit cards bleed on motor upgrades, major suspension mods, big brake kit upgrades , and they are still running on El Crappo tires and confused why they are not going much faster. Do the simple stuff , as it is often the best to go quicker and learn.

Thank you so much for the reply! That's what I have been hearing and reading so I decided to prioritize new wheels and tires first. Then quality fluids and some brake pads before my first day on track. But camber plate is something that I overlooked, thanks you for that!

As my budget is somewhat on the lower side. I was able to track down 2 wheels, one is Apex EC7 and the other one is LMR SVE SP2(Ford Performance Replica but lighter).

2 things I am not sure of are;

First if I could save a lot of money by going squared 285/35/19 or should I go staggered?

Second is, tire brand. I have been looking at budget tires like Nitto and Ohtsu even Firestone Indy but not sure if they would be ok until I get better and more comfortable or should I go ahead and get Michelins from the beginning?

I am open to all suggestions and appreciate any feedback, thank you so much!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
100% you want to go squared. Long term costs go down as you can rotate the tires, which will give you more life. Apex is the way to go for that as they will get you a much better fit and with a spacer up front ( depending on size ) you can go quite wide. There have been some folks with 18x11 and 19x11 wheels for sale, and there was a gentleman with 18x10s some time back. Keep in mind Apex usually has a " Winter Sale, " so you may be able to plan your Christmas present, ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors