The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello!

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself: I'm Jeremy and in VA. My team (Princess Buttercup Racing) and I are building a 93 GT for the 24 Hours of Lemons series. We have completed 5 races so far, and are looking to race in our 6th out at NCM in September. We also take her out to HPDE events at Summit Point (our home track) and look to do other track day events at PittRace, VIR, and NJMP. Looking forward to possibly racing with some of y'all here! In the meantime, here's some pics/vids of us on track and the progression of our build; we try to do "everything" on a budget, but obviously trial/error with a lot of things (some work...some really, REALLY don't).

Welcome!

Hey!

New member here, and previously not a "car guy". I've recently taken a larger interest into cars and racing sports. I'm a father of 2, and I remember always smiling riding in the back of my uncle's mustang as a kid. Right now I'm in the market for my first "toy" car, and I'm leaning very heavily towards purchasing a 2011-2014 mustang gt.

I've never raced anything yet outside of a video game, but the sport racing community seems very welcoming, and it looks like a great way to learn to drive in a safe environment. Looking forward to learning more here.

Thanks,
Jon

Hey!

New member here, and previously not a "car guy". I've recently taken a larger interest into cars and racing sports. I'm a father of 2, and I remember always smiling riding in the back of my uncle's mustang as a kid. Right now I'm in the market for my first "toy" car, and I'm leaning very heavily towards purchasing a 2011-2014 mustang gt.

I've never raced anything yet outside of a video game, but the sport racing community seems very welcoming, and it looks like a great way to learn to drive in a safe environment. Looking forward to learning more here.

Thanks,
Jon
Welcome! You came to the right place!

Hey!

Thanks,
Jon
Welcome & like Fabman said, you’re in the right place.

New member but not new to Mustangs. Hey, name is Eric and I recently purchased a 2011 V6 that I am in the process of building into a dual purpose daily driver and track car. I own a tire and wheel dealership in Tucson AZ and will use the car to promote my business to the local race crowd while having a good time! I have owned a 66 coupe and a 94GT in the past. I am new to the S197 platform and have been reading many post here to get up to speed. I have also read a lot of Billy Johnson's articles. I am learning quite a bit about the high performance tire and wheel (race) segment which is really helpful considering my business. Cant talk tires without learning about the finer points of suspension and handling dynamics. I am absorbing all the knowledge from the group that I can and look forward to continuing to sharpening my knowledge base here. See you over on the build thread!

20240728_104906.jpg

New member but not new to Mustangs. Hey, name is Eric and I recently purchased a 2011 V6 that I am in the process of building into a dual purpose daily driver and track car. I own a tire and wheel dealership in Tucson AZ and will use the car to promote my business to the local race crowd while having a good time! I have owned a 66 coupe and a 94GT in the past. I am new to the S197 platform and have been reading many post here to get up to speed. I have also read a lot of Billy Johnson's articles. I am learning quite a bit about the high performance tire and wheel (race) segment which is really helpful considering my business. Cant talk tires without learning about the finer points of suspension and handling dynamics. I am absorbing all the knowledge from the group that I can and look forward to continuing to sharpening my knowledge base here. See you over on the build thread!

View attachment 97505
WELCOME!
We have some v6 members here that are very fast.
Unlike drag racing, road course is more about carrying speed through the corners than it is brute horsepower.
@Duane Black is v6 and automatic which is everything that's wrong and he's viciously fast, proving that there is far more speed in the drivers seat than there is under the hood.
This is a great place for you to hang and learn.

Welcome and if you want info on race tires or Hoosiers, Blacksheep 1 is the " Tire Guru Exemplary ", crewing on Professional Teams for years and still active though he has a few more gray hairs daily. If you are looking towards the competitive street tire there are quite a few solid articles in Grassroots Motorsports and Tire Rack to name a few, and I would be happy to give you some ideas from 43 years of being a casual observer while Road Racing , doing Time Trials or Autocrossing. I am not pretending to be the expert BS1 is, but having been no more than 120 miles at the most from all the past Solo Championship sites over the last 4 decades, observing what is really working and what has become yesterdays news is relatively easy if you keep your eyes open --- and talk often to the top drivers.

Also, there are plenty of track tires that fit in a niche, like Continental Extreme Force and Hankook RS4s, which are not conducive to quick autocross times or even Time Trials, but are really beneficial to the Endurance Racer or for those wanting a good HPDE tire , for instance.

That is just an example because for your business you will want to know what works for various applications and since most tire stores don't really engage much in the track/autocross business you could carve out a nice spot for yourself in Tucson --- especially with all the tracks and autocross sites in Arizona.

View attachment 97505
Welcome and if you want info on race tires or Hoosiers, Blacksheep 1 is the " Tire Guru Exemplary ", crewing on Professional Teams for years and still active though he has a few more gray hairs daily. If you are looking towards the competitive street tire there are quite a few solid articles in Grassroots Motorsports and Tire Rack to name a few, and I would be happy to give you some ideas from 43 years of being a casual observer while Road Racing , doing Time Trials or Autocrossing. I am not pretending to be the expert BS1 is, but having been no more than 120 miles at the most from all the past Solo Championship sites over the last 4 decades, observing what is really working and what has become yesterdays news is relatively easy if you keep your eyes open --- and talk often to the top drivers.

Also, there are plenty of track tires that fit in a niche, like Continental Extreme Force and Hankook RS4s, which are not conducive to quick autocross times or even Time Trials, but are really beneficial to the Endurance Racer or for those wanting a good HPDE tire , for instance.

That is just an example because for your business you will want to know what works for various applications and since most tire stores don't really engage much in the track/autocross business you could carve out a nice spot for yourself in Tucson --- especially with all the tracks and autocross sites in Arizona.
Every time a new member comes aboard, the more knowledgeable members post up offering advice and their mind set which is why I’m here also. To learn more from the new and established members !!

The other great thing is we have some solid Site Sponsors ( OPMustang and Capaldi Racing for 2 examples ) that have tons of experience and can give you great resources and advice as you progress.
I purchased the fluid kit from OP and it already arrived with great instructions and all the supplies. Great service.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel