The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 My budget track 5.0 GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Good time at autobahn today tearing it up with @dragoon on the full course

Got faster each session (variance due to traffic and pitting out) with my best time a full ten seconds faster than best time I had in July when I did the full course. Credit has to go to the NASA instructors.

IMG_4741.jpeg

IMG_4734.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Update- the car is being stored at my parents for winter like usual. Well, home for the holidays and 53 degrees today with sun, so took her for a spin out of winter hibernation (mainly because it’s been raining and I know there’s no salt on the roads). 50s and wet roads on hankook RS4s will get you to fish tail enough to feel your balls go into your stomach. I put traction control back on real quick and calmed down. Merry Christmas TMO!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Lookin’ good young man !! Your window side vents are nice on the Kona, nice !! Hope to see you this season.

Thanks! One of the pit team members at Gingerman asked me if I had considered cutting holes in my rear fenders and adding a tube from the window louver down to the rear brakes. Took me a second to realize he was messing with me haha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Haven't posted much this winter but thought I'd update the thread a bit.

Car is going to Ultima Race Works this next week to get a Moroso baffled oil pan installed. Also picking up a Watson roll bar from my NASA instructor (he put a full cage in his car over winter) next weekend. With the roll bar I am hoping to get some seats and harnesses in the car at some point this season. Other than that I really pretty much have the car where I want it and do not think I'll need anything other than brakes and tires for a long time.

Slowly registering for events, but starting a new job so not 100% sure what my schedule will look like this year. First track weekend will be at Gingerman with GPS Track Time April 27/28.

Hoping to be more active here on the forum this season and post track notes for myself and Garmin data/videos. Will treat this more like a journal after track events just to get some thoughts down.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Well, my “budget mustang” has been sold.

Exactly one week ago I was at a friends wedding, four or five whiskeys deep when I receive a text from @Vettel-ish that his old car, Celeste (build thread on this site) was back up for sale. Andy connected me with current owner who lives in Alabama, we spoke the next morning, and I bought a one way plane ticket to meet in Nashville Tennessee on Saturday April 6th and drive the car home. I put my car up for sale right after that, and while it really hurts seeing her go I got what I was asking and I’m onto another. The purchaser is another younger guy who wanted to get into road racing, and flew into Chicago from Arkansas this morning and is driving her home as I type this.

I was seriously looking at purchasing Andy’s car last summer when he first put it up for sale, and I had been kicking myself since then for not taking the opportunity. It’s a lot more car than I need at my skill level, but it’s something I can grow into long term and is pretty much a race car that can still be driven to and from the track with no trailer or truck needed.

First track weekend is booked for April 27/28, so after picking up the car next weekend I’ll have to make sure the fluids and brakes are good to go and we’ll be right at the track!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Well, my “budget mustang” has been sold.

Exactly one week ago I was at a friends wedding, four or five whiskeys deep when I receive a text from @Vettel-ish that his old car, Celeste (build thread on this site) was back up for sale. Andy connected me with current owner who lives in Alabama, we spoke the next morning, and I bought a one way plane ticket to meet in Nashville Tennessee on Saturday April 6th and drive the car home. I put my car up for sale right after that, and while it really hurts seeing her go I got what I was asking and I’m onto another. The purchaser is another younger guy who wanted to get into road racing, and flew into Chicago from Arkansas this morning and is driving her home as I type this.

I was seriously looking at purchasing Andy’s car last summer when he first put it up for sale, and I had been kicking myself since then for not taking the opportunity. It’s a lot more car than I need at my skill level, but it’s something I can grow into long term and is pretty much a race car that can still be driven to and from the track with no trailer or truck needed.

First track weekend is booked for April 27/28, so after picking up the car next weekend I’ll have to make sure the fluids and brakes are good to go and we’ll be right at the track!
Congratulations James !! You know you always wanted it & now you do, outstanding acquisition !! Plus you got Andy’s past knowledge about Celeste and that could help in the future. It will be a pleasure to see that sorted beast back out on our “local” tracks. Went up one level ya know.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Congratulations James !! You know you always wanted it & now you do, outstanding acquisition !! Plus you got Andy’s past knowledge about Celeste and that could help in the future. It will be a pleasure to see that sorted beast back out on our “local” tracks. Went up one level ya know.

It made sense and it felt right and I’m ready for that car now. Feels good to bring it back to the TMO family!

TMO Supporting Vendors