The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New shocks / springs for street track setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Considering my car is pretty old now (I guess they all are) I planned on replacing my front upper strut mount. Because I am going with new shocks, I can go with either the older 05-10/GT500 style or the newer 11-14 style mount. Is there any reason to go with one or the other?

thanks
Neither. You definitely want adjustable camber plates. In terms of ROI on track, CC plates >> adjustable dampers or spring heights, imo.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Neither. You definitely want adjustable camber plates. In terms of ROI on track, CC plates >> adjustable dampers or spring heights, imo.
Camber plates are still strut mounts and need to match the style of strut used. There are two different styles for the S197 like mentioned in earlier post.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Camber plates are still strut mounts and need to match the style of strut used. There are two different styles for the S197 like mentioned in earlier post.
This is what I am trying to figure out. Even with CC plates I need to use an OEM upper spring mount, right? Does that also include the upper steering pivot bearing?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
This is what I am trying to figure out. Even with CC plates I need to use an OEM upper spring mount, right? Does that also include the upper steering pivot bearing?
Camber plates are just an adjustable upper strut mount. They take the place of the stock mount.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
You can put together a Bilstein kit for about $1500, which is very reasonable. I really liked the basic cortex/koni setup for $2795 and later upgraded the shocks to DA for SA. The Cortex setup lets you hang with and beat Porsche GT4's so its doing something right. Found the base cortex setup much better at the track, and more comfortable on the street then original boss shocks with P springs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Don’t you need the upper spring perch from the oem mount? Thought I read that somewhere.
Not for any I have seen. The Steeda HD mounts bolted right up to the factory style struts. In my case the 2011+ non adj Koni’s. The Vorshlag plates are modular. You specify the type of strut and they send the correct perch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Ok, I read the instructions on this cc plate. It must be unique.

go half way down and you will see what I mean. This plate uses the factory upper spring perch and thrust bearing. The older version comes with a perch and bearing but you need to use the stock upper spring isolator.

My only concern is that all the hardware is replaced. Especially the thrust bearing. If that comes new with the cc plate, all the better.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
You can put together a Bilstein kit for about $1500, which is very reasonable. I really liked the basic cortex/koni setup for $2795 and later upgraded the shocks to DA for SA. The Cortex setup lets you hang with and beat Porsche GT4's so its doing something right. Found the base cortex setup much better at the track, and more comfortable on the street then original boss shocks with P springs.
I wish bilstein made a pss kit for this platform. I was leaning more toward koni just because of adjustability.

What would your bilstein setup look like?

@ShifterX agree with @EF1, every CC plate I've seen includes the spring perch and bearing as part of the assembly. Yes, the size of those elements will vary depending on the spring and shock you are using. Your new CC plate is the upper strut mount. You don't use the oem strut mount or spring perch. Good luck.

EDIT - sorry, I just cross posted. I'm not familiar with the MM plates you describe on the AM site. I have the Vorshlag plates which are extremely well regarded. Another nice thing about the Vorshlag plates is they will rebuild and modify them for a very reasonable cost for any spring or shock changes you might decide to make in the future. Two thumbs up.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Ok, I read the instructions on this cc plate. It must be unique.

go half way down and you will see what I mean. This plate uses the factory upper spring perch and thrust bearing. The older version comes with a perch and bearing but you need to use the stock upper spring isolator.

My only concern is that all the hardware is replaced. Especially the thrust bearing. If that comes new with the cc plate, all the better.
These plates fit 2008-2010 style struts. They do not work with the 2011-2014 style strut. The strut to spindle hardware they are referring to is the bolts and flag nuts that secure the bottom of the struts. These camber plates reuse the spring perch but have new bearings.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I did not read down far enough on the link you sent. It does appear they are reusing the perch and pivot bearings. The plates I have used have new perches and bearings. I would nit want to use the stock bearings as they are a common point of failure.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I wish bilstein made a pss kit for this platform. I was leaning more toward koni just because of adjustability.

What would your bilstein setup look like?

this is a quick list from LMR.COM. But you can make the list up at Summit or any other seller as well. Either Koni or Bilstein would be about the same price

1710965463484.png

A very popular and successful kit is the Ford Perf. kit. Not the most adjustable, but you know it would work.

1710965583691.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
I did not read down far enough on the link you sent. It does appear they are reusing the perch and pivot bearings. The plates I have used have new perches and bearings. I would nit want to use the stock bearings as they are a common point of failure.
Yep, that was my concern as the thrust bearing is a fairly important wearable item. Would prefer that everything is replaced with the CC plates.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Was looking at the Steeda plates and its the same thing with those as well. However the steeda plate supplies the bearing, just not the upper perch.

1710968160136.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Was looking at the Steeda plates and its the same thing with those as well. However the steeda plate supplies the bearing, just not the upper perch.

View attachment 94068
I don't remember reusing the spring perch with the Steeda mounts, but I must have. On the plus side, the spring perch really isn't a wear item. The thing that fails in the oem mounts is usually the bearings. I had the 2011-2014 version of the Steeda mounts on my car for several years without issue. I went to the Vorshlag plates to get more adjustment. Like others have said, the Vorshlag plates are modular and they configure them to your springs and struts. They are rebuildable and can be reconfigured later if you change components. I have been running them for a couple of years now without issue.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Thinking of going very close to your setup @EF1. Or at least your previous setup. Koni yellows with Steeda hd mount and maybe comp springs. For my expected level of street vs track, this is probably the best balance.

Just trying to figure out which mounts and struts to order.

this

Or this

Since I am buying new struts, I can use either. From what I can tell I need the upper perch and isolator from my current setup if I go with the 11-14. If I go with the gt500 style I would need to by a 05-10 upper isolator.

That aside they look the same and the gt500 style is over $100 cheaper.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Thinking of going very close to your setup @EF1. Or at least your previous setup. Koni yellows with Steeda hd mount and maybe comp springs. For my expected level of street vs track, this is probably the best balance.

Just trying to figure out which mounts and struts to order.

this

Or this

Since I am buying new struts, I can use either. From what I can tell I need the upper perch and isolator from my current setup if I go with the 11-14. If I go with the gt500 style I would need to by a 05-10 upper isolator.

That aside they look the same and the gt500 style is over $100 cheaper.
I don't think you can go wrong either way. The big difference between the two versions of struts is the length of the shaft. I used the 2011-2014 model Steeda mounts with the non-adjustable Koni's and Steeda Sport springs the first time around. It served me well for a dual use car until the Koni's started getting weak. They were on the car for over 40,000 miles. I initially used the same Steeda mounts when I installed the Koni' yellows and Competition springs. There were no issues with the bearings or the perches. I switched to the Vorshlag plates after a month or so trying to get more negative camber. It didn't really help much. The Vorshlag mounts have more adjustment than the Steeda mounts and have castor adjustment but the limiting factor for me was the strut body contacting the inside of the strut tower due to the diameter. I will probably go to coil overs when the Koni yellows wear out to get more negative camber and I can just swap out the perches and bushings on the Vorshlags without buying another set.

I always recomend a Ford Racing kit ( and American muscle has them on sale) because they are designed to work together, #2 suggestion would be a Cortex kit. With regards to coil overs... anything less than $5K is prolly not worth owning, the other point is that coil overs will need a well advised rebuild every 20K miles.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors