The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Prothane Bushings Shredded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed Prothane urethane bushings on new front LCA’s following the directions including using the prescribed Prothane grease. 2013 GT.

As the pic shows the left side front bushing is torn at the leading edge. This after a total of ~500 miles, 12 track sessions at Gingerman (clockwise) and one auto-X day.

I will share any more info once I get the LCA removed and any obvious cause.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to install the same Prothane urethane bushing (and expecting a better result, isn’t that the definition of insanity?).

IMG_4720.jpeg

IMG_4721.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am anxious to hear the cause. I have Prothane bushings in the front of my car and they still look good after a couple of years. I didn't use the Prothane grease when I installed them. I used Redline synthetic grease on mine.

I am anxious to hear the cause. I have Prothane bushings in the front of my car and they still look good after a couple of years. I didn't use the Prothane grease when I installed them. I used Redline synthetic grease on mine.
This was a big surprise and disappointment. I hope to have time to get the lca off the car tomorrow.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It is about time to check the bushings in mine again. I t has been a few months but the car has not been driven since the MCA 60th back in April.

Here it is, left LCA with Prothane bushing. Yuk. I am glad I saw this while doing something unrelated under the car.

View attachment 96669

View attachment 96670

View attachment 96671

View attachment 96672
All front LCA bushings, Howe Racing ball joints and tie rod ends were installed on new LCA’s in January 2024. They have ~500 miles and 12 open track sessions at Gingerman plus one auto-x day. Installation per the directions, torque sequence and value achieved, I marked the bolt heads after torque and they had not moved.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
All front LCA bushings, Howe Racing ball joints and tie rod ends were installed on new LCA’s in January 2024. They have ~500 miles and 12 open track sessions at Gingerman plus one auto-x day. Installation per the directions, torque sequence and value achieved, I marked the bolt heads after torque and they had not moved.

Have you reached out to Prothane yet?

I've heard quite a few reports of urethane bushings not being up to the task of that location. That bushing takes a huge chunk of the braking force and catches a good amount of heat from the headers. Delrin is the move.
Delrin seems like the call for a dedicated track car. If it is still street driven, Delton might be too unforgiving of sh**ty roads like we have in the snow and salt belt.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Wow, that's seriously chewed up. The inner part of the bushing got pulled out from between the sleeve and control arm and twisted like an orange peel.

Where did you grease the bushing - between the sleeve and bushing, or bushing and arm? The bushing is supposed to rotate on the sleeve, so the bushing and arm rotate as one unit. The grease goes on the ouside of the sleeve / inside of the bushing.

Is the sleeve long enough? The sleeve should protrude slightly from the bushing ends, so torquing the bolt clamps the sleeve, not the bushing.

Are the areas where the bushing ends contact the body-side bracket smooth?

This looks like the sleeve may have been a bit short, and torquing the bolt caused the end of the bushing to be stuck against some sawtooth-like protusion on the mounting bracket. Every suspension movement caused the bushing to rotate and ratchet against the protrusion, which peeled the bushing out little by little. Just my guess looking at the pics.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We just but in spherical bearings instead, they have been on the car for 5 seasons now without any problems.

We put the in with the original A arms after the BMR tubular arms decided to break

TMO Supporting Vendors