The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Rear ride height

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
New to this forum and looking for some insight on an s197 set up issue. I just upgraded to mcs 2w suspension with 250# rear springs running at 14.5" ride height from axle center to fender opening. After the last two events, I suspected the suspension was hitting the bumpstops. Last weekend at Sonoma, I cut the bumpstop down to 1", raised the ride height 1/4", and added 2 clicks of compression. There was an improvement but still seeing contact with the b/s. I'm wondering what ride height people here run on s197's to keep the suspension clear of b/s.

New to this forum and looking for some insight on an s197 set up issue. I just upgraded to mcs 2w suspension with 250# rear springs running at 14.5" ride height from axle center to fender opening. After the last two events, I suspected the suspension was hitting the bumpstops. Last weekend at Sonoma, I cut the bumpstop down to 1", raised the ride height 1/4", and added 2 clicks of compression. There was an improvement but still seeing contact with the b/s. I'm wondering what ride height people here run on s197's to keep the suspension clear of b/s.
On the PWC cars running coil overs, we tossed the bump stops and used goobers to limit the spring travel.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
The key is to get the suspension to lay down on the goober without banging down on it.
If you are not from the southeast..
goober = https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Longacre-52-61150-Deep-Coil-Over-Spring-Rubber-5-5-5-in,282945.html
I'm not from the southeast but I'm picking up what your puttin down! Thanks for the advice but my rear is divorced spring/damper set up. I have another event this weekend, so was gonna play with raising the spring perch an 1/8" at a time until it stops showing contact and see how much rake I end up with. Didn't want to remove the bump stops because the uca definitely will crash into the body at full compression. Was just curious if anyone here had already documented this with my type of set up.

If you ever decide to go coil over ( I'm not a huge fan of them on the street) try running to Cortex stuff, I think they are called JRZ or something. They are around $5K, but anything under that is pretty much a waste of money.
Pretty much every S197 has had the car on the stops in the corners, it's just how they work.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case. Wasn't an issue on my previous eibach set up running 275 with 200tw. However, the 305s are definitely leveraging more on the suspension. I'll look into those spring shims if my current perches don't get me to where I'm comfortable.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
Nice fab work on the spacers. I guess if the pros are successful running on the stop then I possibly need to adapt my driving style to the cars design. I'm still gonna try to adjust it out at Thunderhill this week and see where the sweet spot is.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
This is a pic of one of the Phoenix cars at Daytona squatting on its suspension stops.
On another note, do you have any experience working with 6gen camaros? I know this is a mustang forum but my buddy keeps bending his stock 1le wheels and is trying to figure out a replacement solution without having to spend forged wheel money. After a weekend at Buttonwillow he bent all four corners hitting the curbs.

On another note, do you have any experience working with 6gen camaros? I know this is a mustang forum but my buddy keeps bending his stock 1le wheels and is trying to figure out a replacement solution without having to spend forged wheel money. After a weekend at Buttonwillow he bent all four corners hitting the curbs.
Yes @APEX Wheels sells a stronger flow formed wheel which is between the stock and a forged wheel,a lot of guys are running them and seem pretty happy. They also sell a forged wheel.
Thay are a site sponsor and may be discounted for members.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Using the axle center to fender, I’m roughly 15” on the back and 14 3/8” on the front. Also using Ford Performance bump stops cut down 1”. Don’t be afraid to raise the ride height - there’s not a lot of suspension travel in these cars to start with and lowering the car too far prevents the suspension from working properly. CorteX recommends 0.5 degree rake to the front - details in their coilover install manual in the link below. I’ve also used the Boss 302s setup manual as a reference for baseline setups.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_...dzg/view?resourcekey=0-poRd0BQDq944804Pq79BEQ

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/boss302spdfs/2014/Boss 302S owners manual version AV3.pdf

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
Yes @APEX Wheels sells a stronger flow formed wheel which is between the stock and a forged wheel,a lot of guys are running them and seem pretty happy. They also sell a forged wheel.
Thay are a site sponsor and may be discounted for members.

Using the axle center to fender, I’m roughly 15” on the back and 14 3/8” on the front. Also using Ford Performance bump stops cut down 1”. Don’t be afraid to raise the ride height - there’s not a lot of suspension travel in these cars to start with and lowering the car too far prevents the suspension from working properly. CorteX recommends 0.5 degree rake to the front - details in their coilover install manual in the link below. I’ve also used the Boss 302s setup manual as a reference for baseline setups.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_...dzg/view?resourcekey=0-poRd0BQDq944804Pq79BEQ

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/boss302spdfs/2014/Boss 302S owners manual version AV3.pdf
Ok cool, looks like I'm on the right path. After talking to Jason at Vorshlag, he mentioned they run anywhere from 1/2-3/4" of rake to get adequate suspension travel, so sounds like I need to keep cranking up the spring perch height. Thanks for those links, good info.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you ever decide to go coil over ( I'm not a huge fan of them on the street) try running to Cortex stuff, I think they are called JRZ or something. They are around $5K, but anything under that is pretty much a waste of money.
Pretty much every S197 has had the car on the stops in the corners, it's just how they work.
Not to quibble too much with BS1. But the Cortex extreme basic coilover with the SA Konis is a pretty good track set up. At least it lets me hang with the higher end cars down here.. It was a huge step of from the Ford P springs and they only cost $2750. You can upgrade the shocks later as well.

Not to quibble too much with BS1. But the Cortex extreme basic coilover with the SA Konis is a pretty good track set up. At least it lets me hang with the higher end cars down here.. It was a huge step of from the Ford P springs and they only cost $2750. You can upgrade the shocks later as well.
Whatever you decide to buy, Ford Racing or Cortex (I know Ricky at Cortex, BTW) source all the parts through the same company, FR and Cortex are all designed to compliment each other within the mfg.

TMO Supporting Vendors