The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rotors for HPDE track day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorry; now I mean what pads to go with? Sorry wasn’t specific.
Start with entry level track pads maybe GLoc R10/R8 or some other brand alternative and progress from there. Since pads are very subjective and when you start you can't heat them up properly so you can't make real race pads work properly which could be tricky / dangerous. Since this as a consumable you will have a chance to change them on the next buy.

I know everyone suggests at least G-LOC R10 for front, but I'm still doing well with R8 in front as well as rear... (but I have significant brake cooling mods for the front). I like that I can keep the R8s on without switching back to street pads because they are silent on the street and don't sound like a school bus squealing during braking.

I know everyone suggests at least G-LOC R10 for front, but I'm still doing well with R8 in front as well as rear... (but I have significant brake cooling mods for the front). I like that I can keep the R8s on without switching back to street pads because they are silent on the street and don't sound like a school bus squealing during braking.
Never had a problem with R10’s squealing on the street. I started getting some noise with R12’s.

I'm guessing you are also not braking hard enough or you are not running R-compound or TW200 tires. My Mustang sustains braking in the 1.4-1.6G range so it heats up a lot. Granted Ecoboost is lighter so you can get away with R8's upfront.I run R10/R8 and it only took me 2 laps before my pedal gets rock hard because the pad is not sustaining the heat from the braking.

Also my rear R8's sound like a school bus as well so that's not an argument all race brake pads squeal.

Yeah I'm not running 200tw tires yet; I will after these wear out. Once I do that I agree that I probably will not get away with R8s and will have to upgrade after then.

Also, I live in Florida where it is always hot so the brake pads are never cool; maybe if I lived where it gets cold I would get more brake squeal...(?)

Yeah I'm not running 200tw tires yet; I will after these wear out. Once I do that I agree that I probably will not get away with R8s and will have to upgrade after then.

Also, I live in Florida where it is always hot so the brake pads are never cool; maybe if I lived where it gets cold I would get more brake squeal...(?)
the GLoc's squeal for me on the street I tend to daily on the R10/R8 pads which is not exactly a bright idea. Also they squeal on the track as well that is when they get hot. I know that titanium shims help with that and heat but I don't have an easy way to ship that to Bulgaria.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel