The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Still won't be a customer for a whizzer car... ;)
A kid I know peripherally has one, he takes long ass drives in it just to go somewhere only to turn around to come home. Has to stop twice to plug in which I gather takes an hour or so. He seems to think he's not adding any crud to the environment doing this. I guess the schools told him they get electricity for free out of pixie dust. And apparently nukes have no environmental footprint. Wait for that last one to come home...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Hopefully they offer a battery pack to go with it.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Still won't be a customer for a whizzer car... ;)
A kid I know peripherally has one, he takes long ass drives in it just to go somewhere only to turn around to come home. Has to stop twice to plug in which I gather takes an hour or so. He seems to think he's not adding any crud to the environment doing this. I guess the schools told him they get electricity for free out of pixie dust. And apparently nukes have no environmental footprint. Wait for that last one to come home...
We've had people complaining about the amount of acreage needed for the windmills. Nuclear has a much smaller foot print is their claim. Yes they take up less acreage but there's this other footprint that nobody has dealt with.
We are going to be getting some new wind mills, 4.2 mega watt, 665 feet tall. 446 ft diameter sweep for the blades, go big or go home.
Oh yea, 1000 cubic yards of concrete in the base, about 3.5 million pounds, probably a lot of rebar too. Concrete plants and mixer drivers will be busy.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ironically the real cost in the EV is not the motor. Price a battery pack. Sit down first.
Batteries are one of the more expensive components in an electric vehicle. And if you need to replace a battery after your warranty expires, it's helpful to know how much you'll be spending out of pocket. Currently, the average cost to replace a battery is $5,500.Mar 26, 2021
Quoting the cost of the EV "Motor" is a kin to quoting the cost of a transmission in a fossil fueled car. Not a drop in the bucket but also not the big cost in most vehicles.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Ironically the real cost in the EV is not the motor. Price a battery pack. Sit down first.
Batteries are one of the more expensive components in an electric vehicle. And if you need to replace a battery after your warranty expires, it's helpful to know how much you'll be spending out of pocket. Currently, the average cost to replace a battery is $5,500.Mar 26, 2021
Quoting the cost of the EV "Motor" is a kin to quoting the cost of a transmission in a fossil fueled car. Not a drop in the bucket but also not the big cost in most vehicles.

Any idea how many miles/months a battery pack might last? I expect operating in winter weather is going to shorten battery life as well due to heating loads?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TMS hits a common point, but as he noted the price ( of a batt. pack ) is not that bad compared to the cost of major components on a petroleum based machine. It is likely to go down in cost as more and more EVs hit the market, but I still wish we could hear more about plans for disposal as two areas I have lived needed to spend large sums for lead acid ( battery based ) cleanup. Sure batteries have changed but disposal is still going to be an issue in future years and to be truly responsible we need to have plans for corralling the worn out products. I could be wrong , but I just have not heard much about getting rid of the old batteries except maybe a company in Northern Nevada.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The other question for battery replacement is the labor cost to replace the battery. With the battery in the floor pan of the car what do you have to remove to get it out, hopefully there's a plan for this.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Counterpoint: the joy of sniffing your own farts as you win a drag race against those Gaia-killing GT500s - priceless

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

For everyone but Tesla that is likely true. I bet 90% of the current Tesla sales would still happen if the subsidies went away. Those cars are bought on emotion, not practicality.

What I find amusing is telling people that it's good that there are subsidies for this new technology, since it's only been around for over a hundred years- and depending on your definition of electric car it might be closer to 150 years old. Nearly everyone I talk to does not know that the history of the electrics predates the internal combustion horseless carriages.

My dad is probably one of only a handful of people in the world that is converting an electric car to run on gas, but his is a hundred years old.
Tesla is basically funded by the carbon credits they get from other auto manufacturers, some time in the the future, they will actually have to produce a competitive car for the market.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Here's a local story I heard about from my wife. Seems this guy found a place to rent a Tesla because it was "cool". Now I'm sure the EV rental instructed him on how to recharge the car but after running the batteries down, it was left on the side of the road. When they returned the following morning, the car was torched, not from the batteries mind you but someone actually poured gas or some other flammable fluid on it and lit it on fire. There some irony in there somewhere!

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
So this my idea for the latest special edition F150. Take this new EV F150 Lightning and offer a Harley-Davidson edition. It would include a HD V-Twin powered genset with no mufflers mounted in the bed.

Tesla is basically funded by the carbon credits they get from other auto manufacturers, some time in the the future, they will actually have to produce a competitive car for the market.

Actually they don't. At some point soon EV's will become a commodity and Tesla will move on to the big rigs and grid scale electrical storage. There's plenty of money to be made changing the world, trying to compete in a commodity market- not so much.

TMO Supporting Vendors