The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently acquired a GT350. I’ve been doing a lot of searching and reading but I still have questions. The car I purchased has the PSC2’s on the front in the OEM size 295/35/19 but the rears were replaced with PS4S’s in 315/30/19’s. I live in SC and the weather here doesn’t get super cold but it can some days get into the 30’s and we do get our fair share of heavy rains from time to time so I’m faced with a dilemma. FYI I daily this car.

A. Should I replace just the fronts with PS4S in the OEM size and not touch the rears even though I know the rears are a little smaller and are throwing off the speedo?

B. Should I replace all the tires with the OEM PSS?

C. Just keep driving the car and take it easy in the rain or on cold days till the tires wear out to maximize my dollars?

D. Move the PS4S to the front if they fit and get a larger rear tire? Is that even possible or worth it?

E. I loved my Continental Extreme Contact Sports but see no other tire company, except for Nitto, make the OEM sizes. Could I get into Continentals and if so what size would be similar to the OEM’s that they make or just stick with the Michelin’s?

F. Or just get PSC2’s for the rear but be extremely careful when cold or wet? Knowing I’ll be replacing tires again next year 😆

No one wants to buy a new to them car and put new tires on it so I’m contemplating all options before making a decision. As some will ask what is the main use of the car? Well I’ll daily it and maybe twice a year I’ll HPDE it.
Thanks in advance for the input!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
If you are just talking about daily driving, I say ‘A’. Those PS4s are good tires.
If you want track tires, there are some good threads to search on this site. Also, look at what people are running at your tracks on the Lap Time Thread.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Are you asking for daily driving or track driving as well? For daily driving, just run what you've got until they wear out - option C. Tire Rack categorizes the 240 treadwear PSC2 as "Extreme Performance Summer" and the 300 treadwear PS4S as "Maximum Performance Summer" so they're pretty close in performance - it's not like you're mixing track tires and all-seasons. For the performance of the car and tires, if you push the car to where you'll notice a difference in the tires, you'll probably be looking at a hefty speeding fine. At least in the dry and probably in the wet as well.

Honestly, for your first track day, I wouldn't worry about it, either. The staggered widths will compensate a bit for the difference in compounds, and you should be paying more attention to running the correct line and getting braking points down than to pushing 10/10ths. I'd worry more that you've flushed the brake fluid with good product and have decent brake pads. Buckle in and send it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel