The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track car help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Maine
Been doing lots of reading, searching and trying to figure out whats needed.

Im starting a Spec Iron nasa build. Sourcing quite a few parts but having trouble in the brake department. Obviously going with the 14" brake package but abs has ne messed up. I know the ford racing parts are long discontinued. I guess i need to know what is needed and where i should look to find some of these rare parts

Thanks for.any help, going to be a fun build

I'm not familiar witht he NSA "spec Iron" series in particular, there was spec mustang, CAM and whatever else, if they were on the ball, they would call out the parts needed in their specifications like IMSA and the SCCA does instead of letting the competitor run rampant. In any case, the 14 inch GT500 brake is still the most popular option out there even though there are more expensive options. I don't know why that would mess up the ABS component in your car. FWIW even though the temptation is there, I would refrain from using Willwood brakes, they just don't seem to have it when it comes to road racing. I assume they call out a specific suspension package? If not , the Ford"blue" bar in front with an 18mm bar in the rear is usually preferred. An inexpensive option for coil over shocks has been JRI, say about 200 pounds in the rar and around 500 up front for starters and depending on the aero load.All that should get you close, depending on the rules.
To add to this, you might contact Tim at OPPErformance for some suggestions, many people on this site use him as a resource and he's never led them down the wrong path.
@OPMustang Tim

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Maine
I'm not familiar witht he NSA "spec Iron" series in particular, there was spec mustang, CAM and whatever else, if they were on the ball, they would call out the parts needed in their specifications like IMSA and the SCCA does instead of letting the competitor run rampant. In any case, the 14 inch GT500 brake is still the most popular option out there even though there are more expensive options. I don't know why that would mess up the ABS component in your car. FWIW even though the temptation is there, I would refrain from using Willwood brakes, they just don't seem to have it when it comes to road racing. I assume they call out a specific suspension package? If not , the Ford"blue" bar in front with an 18mm bar in the rear is usually preferred. An inexpensive option for coil over shocks has been JRI, say about 200 pounds in the rar and around 500 up front for starters and depending on the aero load.All that should get you close, depending on the rules.
To add to this, you might contact Tim at OPPErformance for some suggestions, many people on this site use him as a resource and he's never led them down the wrong path.
@OPMustang Tim
They do call out many part numbers unfortunately a lot have long been discontinued

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
ny
No alternative #. All ford racing abs units for s197 cars were discontinued, fr500c fr500s boss302 s and r units are no more. There were built special for racing by trw. There is 1 used unit left that I returned to the race team.

CA
Been doing lots of reading, searching and trying to figure out whats needed.

Im starting a Spec Iron nasa build. Sourcing quite a few parts but having trouble in the brake department. Obviously going with the 14" brake package but abs has ne messed up. I know the ford racing parts are long discontinued. I guess i need to know what is needed and where i should look to find some of these rare parts

Thanks for.any help, going to be a fun build
I was one of the lucky ones to get a FR500C module from @TA28 and although it helped the car under isolated scenarios of threshold braking, it was by no means a game charger and certainly not a requirement to be competitive. I would not sweat it if you don't have it.

ny
All the racing parts In my opinion are meant to be used in conjunction with the other parts of that system. Abs unit/ brakebuster/ master cylinder. Ect.
The fr500c and boss R have abs shut off switches. Eliminates ABS altogether.
The Fr500c brake busters are absolutely crazy money, a close match is gt500 buster. Better than the std s197 buster . Chris

Have you thought about contacting the series director and submitting a request for an equivalent alternative? Example would include the strut tower brace, lower front A-arm braces, etcetera. You can get an aftermarket version from various vendors if you look.

You really don't need the Ford Racing ABS unit - the series mandates a spec street tire.

The Ford Performance site is showing the ABS module available for purchase. Its either a mistake or they got some more in. Might be worth a call to their tech line.

TMO Supporting Vendors