The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attended a Porsche event yesterday at Raceway Park of the Midlands. Been a couple years since I have been here and man has it gotten rough. They haven't put any money or very little into this track and has really gone down hill over the last few years, but it didn't help that it sat under 10' of water all summer a few years ago during a major flood. I was running 305 Goodyear 3R's and they work very well as I was only expecting to run around a 1:45, specially with how rough the track is, anyways here are a couple videos of my quick laps.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I was there Instructing and what Mr. Modest 12COBoss failed to mention is not a single Porsche was able to pass him and in fact, he in turn , passed virtually everyone on the track. The course is a bit rough yet surprisingly the grip is pretty good , but the real issue was they had not mowed next to the track so there were no visual references. I have run at the track since it first opened over 20 years ago and it was quite difficult to see curbing and some of them must be run over to get your optimal time --- difficult to do if covered by grass. I ran the course earlier this year and I found the track to be a bit rough as COBoss mentioned, but it was easy to see all turn ins and you could avoid some of the areas that were a bit worse than others. Still a fun place to get some track time, and there is another Great Plains Region of the PCA on October 7th. Go to gprpca.com to sign in with clubregistration.com and you will be welcomed quite warmly. A huge number of folks in our area did their first track outing with this Porsche Club 30+ years ago and they have always been very open to other drivers. The guys are Trackrats, and one very major key is the amount of track time you will get. I went out 6 times with my " Novice " student and she had one more Session to do if she wanted to , but she and her husband had a wedding to attend. So the very reasonable fee will get you a lot of track time. I would be cool if a bunch of TMO members decided to hit the last DE event and they are well aware Mustangs are fast ----the previous event they had some ole geezer with a Silver Mach 1 beat all of them except for a brand new Gray GT4 RS!

I do believe 12COBoss would have been at 1:39 or 1:40 if the grass had been mowed down and the soybeans weren't 2 ft tall, ha. They will be gone in October and the manager apologized for the mowing it had been raining there a lot and had been too wet to get in there.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Attended a Porsche event yesterday at Raceway Park of the Midlands. Been a couple years since I have been here and man has it gotten rough. They haven't put any money or very little into this track and has really gone down hill over the last few years, but it didn't help that it sat under 10' of water all summer a few years ago during a major flood. I was running 305 Goodyear 3R's and they work very well as I was only expecting to run around a 1:45, specially with how rough the track is, anyways here are a couple videos of my quick laps.

I’m not trying to tell anybody how to run an event, but unless I missed it there weren’t any corner workers at any of the stations except 14. Is that normal for them?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, that proves my point, they apparently were not that advanced after all, ha. You guys will need to start a new group , " Super Advanced ."

Good run and you are so right, the camaraderie at the track is what it is all about, and TMO is a great place to start finding like minded road course and autocross friends.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Well, that proves my point, they apparently were not that advanced after all, ha. You guys will need to start a new group , " Super Advanced ."

Good run and you are so right, the camaraderie at the track is what it is all about, and TMO is a great place to start finding like minded road course and autocross friends.
Agreed 100% !!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
New PB at Eagles Canyon by almost a second for me on a hot, 90deg member day, with a bit of traffic at the start. Surprisingly little drama and sliding. Similar setup worked well at MSR last month. I need to drop this by a bit more to keep up with the C7 Z's and GT3rs here.

A couple of small changes made the car quicker but easy to drive:
- DSC sport tuning tweak for front damping
- Archetype racing gurney add to my AC wing
- Stiffer swaybar settings all around (Steeda)
- More heat cycles on V2 nankang CRS 325/square setup

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
The Spec Corvette series recently went to the NS-2R (not the CRS, sorry) tires. I just had a set of the AR-1 mounted for my trip to VIR next weekend.

Will report afterwards.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Look forward to hearing your assessment of the new Nankangs Stan, as they were predicted to be used by quite a few drivers at the Solo Nationals and they were conspicuous by their absence. They did have one win and one trophy overall, but a brief conversation with old friend and CAMC Winner Dave Schotz, was bearing fruit that they were almost as quick as the Bridgerocks and the Yokes , but they wore a lot better. His consensus was they were likely much better on a road course during to their asphalt/concrete pounding life cycle. I am sure many will be interested to hear your views because it sure appears it is one of the better 200 TWR tires for dual purpose. Sorry we missed you at Nationals!

PS - Stan, you mentioned you need to drop time a bit more to keep up with the GT3s and C7s at the nearby tracks, but surely they are not running 200 TWR tires like you , are they ?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Look forward to hearing your assessment of the new Nankangs Stan, as they were predicted to be used by quite a few drivers at the Solo Nationals and they were conspicuous by their absence. They did have one win and one trophy overall, but a brief conversation with old friend and CAMC Winner Dave Schotz, was bearing fruit that they were almost as quick as the Bridgerocks and the Yokes , but they wore a lot better. His consensus was they were likely much better on a road course during to their asphalt/concrete pounding life cycle. I am sure many will be interested to hear your views because it sure appears it is one of the better 200 TWR tires for dual purpose. Sorry we missed you at Nationals!

PS - Stan, you mentioned you need to drop time a bit more to keep up with the GT3s and C7s at the nearby tracks, but surely they are not running 200 TWR tires like you , are they ?
I was watching the solo nationals results also to see how they fared. For me yokohama or bridgestone don't make a large enough 19" or 20" option to even consider. I compete against cars on those tires, and can hold my own even with the previous generation tire so I've been happy with them.

Some of our fast cars are on R7s, but most C7s are on oem sport cup 2's. A strong race tire lap at ECR is 2:00 or under.

MD
Summit Point Shenandoah. Trying out the Conti ECF in 315/18 this year. So far 1.5 sec off the pace of 3R in 305/19. Car is the same except for tires/size and pads. 3R was with DSUNO front pads and ECF is paired with Hawk 70/60.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel