The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Upgrade Sway Bars or Dampers First?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Texas
Hi all,

I have a 2014 GT with the Track Pack. The PO installed SR springs with Koni Orange dampers (and a J&M PHB).

I am at the point where I want to upgrade the stock front sway bar to a Steeda adjustable bar (regular, not the Competition bar), billet mounts, and adjustable end-links, in conjunction with the Dorman 927-203 rear bar.

I am also thinking of replacing the Koni Oranges with Yellows.

I plan to attend four DEs a year. I subscribe to the convention that incremental upgrades better facilitate learning to drive fast.

So... which should I do first, the sways or the dampers?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Driver>Tires>Dampers>SpringRates/Wheelrate (bars can fit here)>devices to help alignment or roll center changes> other doodads

In the order above, dampers for sure. Swaybars affect balance more than anything else - I'd consider finding your happy place with dampers and springs before I would consider bars since often the aftermarket will "push" big bars especially in the rear, but many drivers as they find speed want more spring rate and less bars out back, for example.

NJ
Driver>Tires>Dampers>SpringRates/Wheelrate (bars can fit here)>devices to help alignment or roll center changes> other doodads

In the order above, dampers for sure. Swaybars affect balance more than anything else - I'd consider finding your happy place with dampers and springs before I would consider bars since often the aftermarket will "push" big bars especially in the rear, but many drivers as they find speed want more spring rate and less bars out back, for example.
Can I throw brake pads on this list somewhere:) And maybe brake cooling.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel