The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Pulled the cover, test drove the Boss, then cleaned and a minor detail. That was fun! On return popped the hood and took digital temps of the engine valley, 202 degrees, (Note: Spunge rubber bits removed), exhaust manifolds, (stock Tried-Y's) 400 degrees. Noticed left side, running slightly hotter, by 10 degrees. But less clearance on that side.

I'll start a temp trend chart to compare after the install of the Kooks Ceramic Coated Super Streets. Should be interesting to see if the coating makes any noticeable difference. Will include a record of ambient temps too.

Conclusion, after all said and done? The Boss is a Blast!

Have fun out there,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

cloud9 said:
A critical feature for your game of parts Tetris.

No kidding. And that's how it came up about the folding seats. The car was packed for the track the next day and somebody asked,
"So you've got a couple of tires for the track tomorrow?"
Nope, there are 4 back there.
"How the heck do you fit four in there?"
Easy, the fold the seats down...
"The rear seats fold down!?"

::) *sigh* I couldn't believe it.

Changed my oil from Amsoil 10W40 to Amsoil 5W50 with a Ford racing FL-820 filter. The engine seams more quiet than before? This car has used 0 oil in the 10,600 miles of driving, and it was very clean. I'm impressed.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

TMSBOSS said:
Those things I had my wife move to the basement when they were cluttering up my shop. ;D

Nice. If I had my wife move my car parts, she'd understand just how much crap spare parts I have! ;)

Installed XP20 front and XP10 rears last night, Carbotech went a little over board on the drivers side pad material as it wouldn't let me slide the pad in. After filing down the pad material on the side it eventually slid in as it should have, took way too long to install though. Now I have to season the new rotors.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Grant 302 said:
Nice. If I had my wife move my car parts, she'd understand just how much crap spare parts I have! ;)

LOL. Just the interior parts from the rear seat delete.

She does have a good idea of what I have. I just keep reminding her that her garden center is 2/3 the size of my shop and 100% full of "Essential Stuff". ;D

drano38

Wayne

Took the Boss out of hibernation yesterday. ;D
Sure missed the sound of firing up that motor all winter.
Now a wash and oil change.

Switched stock rims back on after running Summit Main in the wet Saturday and having my Dad drive it in the dry today. Thanks to Blowfish for the rims and KNS for the pads and rotors.

I finally got the 1st oil change done on my Boss. Now that I am working for the local Ford dealer I got a great discount, couldn't pass up the deal, Motorcraft oil, filter, and labor, plus they checked all fluids and air pressure.. The car is lowered so it would have ben a pain for me to try and get it up in the air to do this, it's heck getting old.....haha

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

steveespo said:
Working on changing harness and sensors to PRS parts, also gonna change the valve springs while under the cam covers.
Deharnessed_zpsfl4utwtw.jpg
Lefthand%20cams_zpsrkf3frlj.jpg

Steve

Steve

Which spring compressor will you be using for the swap? Which springs?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Steve:

Make sure you use the compressed air in the cylinder trick when you're doing the valvesprings.

I didn't have to worry about dropping a valve into the cylinder when doing the springs since the heads were off the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors