The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your Thoughts on my build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The H&R RSS Club sport are a very good entry point coil over. The rears springs are to stiff and can be swapped out with a lighter coil over type spring depending on sway bar choices. SMGDHG has them on his car now. He runs great times with a 08 4.6.
Thanks for the reply, these may fit the bill for finishing my ST3 car. One question; when you swapped the rear spring for a 300lb one, did you have a wing on the car?

Thanks for the reply, these may fit the bill for finishing my ST3 car. One question; when you swapped the rear spring for a 300lb one, did you have a wing on the car?
yes, both of us run wings.. between the valving and the springs, it's just to stiff. It all depends on sway bar choice as well. I run ford stuff. My spring rates are 750# F 250# R Coil over with a 13mm, 18mm. or even a 20mm sway bar. SMGDHG runs 630#f with a 350# R stock location with the Cortex bar on soft. For the rear the best thing to do is use MM ride height adjusters and your choice of coil over spring.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
yes, both of us run wings.. between the valving and the springs, it's just to stiff. It all depends on sway bar choice as well. I run ford stuff. My spring rates are 750# F 250# R Coil over with a 13mm, 18mm. or even a 20mm sway bar. SMGDHG runs 630#f with a 350# R stock location with the Cortex bar on soft. For the rear the best thing to do is use MM ride height adjusters and your choice of coil over spring.
Hello Tri-bar.
Hope all is well.
I have a couple questions regarding your experience with H&R RSS and Kenny Brown.
from what I read you did mention that the rear springs were pretty stiff. Now if I were to go with the rear grip kit from Kenny brown,
Would that balance it out? From what I read I can always get less stiffer spring from MM or Vorshlag.

Currently on lowering springs and bmr rear suspension upper and lower relocation brackets white sways bars.
315 square all around. Need more spring now that I’m getting faster.
Thanks

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Mad Hatter,
Funny you bring up the MT-82. It's one of the only things on the car that is still original and with a over 10000 miles on it and a great number of track days it held up well. I have already started using it hard, been for awhile. When I blow it up though, notice I said when lol. I'm thinking a TH6060.

You took care of the shifter and that's a big deal.

Hello Tri-bar.
Hope all is well.
I have a couple questions regarding your experience with H&R RSS and Kenny Brown.
from what I read you did mention that the rear springs were pretty stiff. Now if I were to go with the rear grip kit from Kenny brown,
Would that balance it out? From what I read I can always get less stiffer spring from MM or Vorshlag.

Currently on lowering springs and bmr rear suspension upper and lower relocation brackets white sways bars.
315 square all around. Need more spring now that I’m getting faster.
Thanks
The H&R coil overs are a very good set. Right now my old set is sitting on a 08 Bullit thats very fast with them. All Cortex build suspension. upped the front springs to 650 front and 400lbs rear I think it is. on the RSS fronts, they are adjustable so that's helps. They are well build and take a lot abuse. My setup is now all Boss 302S OEM stuff. Hope this hellps

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The H&R coil overs are a very good set. Right now my old set is sitting on a 08 Bullit thats very fast with them. All Cortex build suspension. upped the front springs to 650 front and 400lbs rear I think it is. on the RSS fronts, they are adjustable so that's helps. They are well build and take a lot abuse. My setup is now all Boss 302S OEM stuff. Hope this hellps
Big fan of Cortex, but for me, had to go down to #500/#350 springs to get some more grip. without a big wing, then #300 for the rear would be better. Needed the softer rear for better corner exit, probably the best performance point of the S197.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
Yes that helps. Thanks for getting back to me. Lethal performance has the RSS kit for 2300 shipped at the moment. Mostly go that route and get a softer spring and perch for the rear from MM or Vorshlag.

The bars are just a tuning device as you know well.. the factory FRONT ones are bonded to the bushings and that is mostly to eliminate noise and thunk warranty, especially in cold climates. Ideally we use a ball bearing interface there and its like a Nascar setup where its a straight bar thats splined on either end for different length arms. ideally, there are no bends at all in a sway bar (stabilizer bar) because all you want is torsion, any bending is just another random parasitic spring rate, much like a bonded bushing. I run JRi's also and have settled on the 34mm tube front and 18mm solid rear, that only works with coilovers and a square setup tho.. if you try that tiny rear bar in a production setup it will just push everywhere like a snow plow.

Big fan of Cortex, but for me, had to go down to #500/#350 springs to get some more grip. without a big wing, then #300 for the rear would be better. Needed the softer rear for better corner exit, probably the best performance point of the S197.
I agree and took it even further.. i got the best grip so far going down to 375 front and 150 rear springs! a little body roll doesn't hurt and you have plenty of suspension travel. look at the phoenix S197.. that thing rolls and pics of the front inside wheel all the time like the old VW GTI's.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I agree and took it even further.. i got the best grip so far going down to 375 front and 150 rear springs! a little body roll doesn't hurt and you have plenty of suspension travel. look at the phoenix S197.. that thing rolls and pics of the front inside wheel all the time like the old VW GTI's.
I have been tempted to try that out! Funny that you mentioned my first car! Loved that GTI

I agree with both of you and run Cortex 400 F and 200 rear with an 18 mm or no rear bar, Eibach adjustable 35 mm front bar. No aero.

Oh, and the car I have the most nostalgia for was my old A1 Callaway GTI, loved that thing.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Actually just checked my file and have the #300 rear spring in the car now. Would like to go softer, but with a big wing I would have a hard time looking over the hood at speed.

Funny how back then the GTI was the drivers car. Nothing like a first love.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Actually just checked my file and have the #300 rear spring in the car now. Would like to go softer, but with a big wing I would have a hard time looking over the hood at speed.

A friend and I were joking the other day about how the older we get, the higher we sit in the car. He said something like, "I know it's better for the center of gravity and all, but I can't see out of the bloody thing!"
-------------------------------------------------------
I had a group I hung out with in the early 90's that was something like this.

'84 GTI
'86 Scirroco
'84 RX7
'89 Daytona (Shelby?)
Some year GLHS
'85 MR2
'78ish Supra or Celica GT
70's Monza with a 350
3 GT Fox Bodies '87-90 vintage
'88 Fiero GT
'90's Eagle Talon (with God only knows how much boost)
'88 CRX Si
'86 CRX Si
& My '79 Indy Pace Car Fox

The things we did on Missouri back roads shall not be spoken of. I always loved the fact that we had anything and everything and everyone was cool with everyone else's car. The GT's were the biggest power of the group, but compared to modern cars, that's not much. I was just a tick slower than the GT's (not the stock engine). Everyone else was below 200 HP. Power doesn't always equal fun.

There were a couple other guys in the group that drove trucks, but they were working on their Camaros. They ended up basically inventing the Pro Touring build.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I've been on 300's for years now, watts in the bottom hole and no rear bar. (though I now have a cortex rear bar that I sometimes use)
Tons of bite. Perfect until I added the cambered rear end, now I have so much bite I need to throw some away.
This season will see everything in the rear getting stiffer and the watts getting higher and possibly running the rear bar more often.
Plenty of aero here. Big splitter with tunnels, vented everything, big wing, probably too much downforce for 300# springs. Heading back to 400#'s.
Stay tuned.

I had a regular black golf and it handled extremely well i wanted the GTI but it was a little expensive.. then I got the Civic Si and that handling was off the charts, its what i wanted my Mustang to handle like and it finally does with the soft rate and great shocks. With your downforce levels you pretty much have to run 500lbs/in front 300 rear or something there about and that is still very soft. my pals run 1000 lbs/in front 600 rear or more on aero cars. I'm still saving up cash for 315/30/18 200 TW tires to go with my new Apex SM10-RS wheels!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel