The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2019 Magnetic GT350 Version 2.0 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Amazing man. You really show out for us magnetic cars.
So do you not have to get AP rear brakes? Or do you adjust the brake bias a certain way(if such thing is relevant in this case)?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Amazing man. You really show out for us magnetic cars.
So do you not have to get AP rear brakes? Or do you adjust the brake bias a certain way(if such thing is relevant in this case)?

As per AP Racing, the GT350 Kit is bias matched to the factory rear brakes with no changes. I was unsure but it has turned out to be true.

As per AP Racing, the GT350 Kit is bias matched to the factory rear brakes with no changes. I was unsure but it has turned out to be true.
Man the amount of keyboard warriors freaking out about stock rear brakes but i matched the same cobalt xr1 front.

the real racers, such as this forum, are supportive as usual lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
Man the amount of keyboard warriors freaking out about stock rear brakes but i matched the same cobalt xr1 front.

the real racers, such as this forum, are supportive as usual lol

Right. TBH the factory Shelby brakes are outstanding in their own right. You and I made the switch to take out unsprung and rotational weight (lighter calipers/rotors, smaller/lighter wheels/tires). The sweetener is the availability of take-off slicks with the move to 18” wheels. Bigger ain’t always better. 😎

Right. TBH the factory Shelby brakes are outstanding in their own right. You and I made the switch to take out unsprung and rotational weight (lighter calipers/rotors, smaller/lighter wheels/tires). The sweetener is the availability of take-off slicks with the move to 18” wheels. Bigger ain’t always better. 😎

i did it more for the 18’s bcuz 2 sets of 305/680/18 DH’S were $1200. One yeae]r and the brakes paid for themselves in tire savings .

TX
$600 a set for take-off slicks?? 🤯
What's the expected tire life for a set of those?
I regularly get 3-4 HPDE days out of them - they're fastest the first day, but still plenty of fun on days 2-4 :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
I regularly get 3-4 HPDE days out of them - they're fastest the first day, but still plenty of fun on days 2-4 :)
Do you find that they wear out or heat cycle out?

TX
Do you find that they wear out or heat cycle out?
Depends on the specific tire, your setup, and how hard you run them. I've worn the big 315/705/19s out in one afternoon - too hot and not enough camber.

These 305/690/19s were on day 4 when I set my all-time PB at COTA (this is pre-tear down of my current project). A fresh set would be a good second or so faster according my AIM data - but as you can see, they were dong fine.

The trick is to find the hard compound and really dial in the right amount of toe/camber and make sure you're not overdriving them. Slicks are a lot more sensitive to setup than 100-200 TW tires, IME

Wow, that's really good $ per day. Looks like 18" wheels just jumped to the top of my wish list. I'm sure they're still faster than 200tw even on day 4.
Oh yeah. IME at COTA, a fresh take off is about 3 seconds a lap faster than a sticker set of Goodyear 3Rs and even very worn out - they're still a second or so faster. See the video above. You can't get much closer to end of life than that. If it was a hot day - they would have been toast. But fortunately, this was a nice 65 degree January day :)

From oct 4th RA event, best was a 2:27.9 with a ton of traffic. Car had high teens in it. Next year will have to go back a bunch. finally figured out how to get video from aim to overlay but the se card doesnt work with my laptop 🙄 I had so much fun, car really showed how great the setup was with the dh’s. That was the missing link and now i have great confidence in the cars braking. I had URW there for trackside support and i never knew how much data the aim really had. Meet dragoon and mrbd. Andy drove his fusion on track…..

IMG_5808.jpeg
IMG_5914.jpegIMG_5906.jpeg
Below is steve saleen behind me driving his s1…..i caught up and passed him every lap i was out with him
IMG_5915.jpeg

next event is RA this saturday if it doesnt rain, then gingerman oct 22nd, then tons of south trying to get into 1:25’s

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
ing to figure out what NASA class this car will be in.
Over winter cars going in for the fp350s abs module and titanium exhaust, lexan rear and 1/4 windows then try to take more weight off. Trying to figure out what NASA class this car will be in.

If you want to run with me American Iron Extreme is the class I am shooting for.

TMO Supporting Vendors