The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ABS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To clarify, does the RCM need to be connected to a PCM can bus? I am trying to get this system set up in a track car with a GM computer, do I connect the GM computer to the RCM via can bus or just connect the RCM to the ABS unit can bus?
Also, I do not see a ground wire going to the RCM, is it grounded to the chassis?
Thanks!
Dave

To clarify, does the RCM need to be connected to a PCM can bus? I am trying to get this system set up in a track car with a GM computer, do I connect the GM computer to the RCM via can bus or just connect the RCM to the ABS unit can bus?
Also, I do not see a ground wire going to the RCM, is it grounded to the chassis?
Thanks!
Dave

The RCM does not need to be connected to the PCM.
AFAIK it is usually advised not to connect it to a non-stock PCM as CAN networks might be incompatible.
Both my RCM and PCM are made by Ford and specifically for Coyotes, so I think I might have gotten lucky.

RCM and ABS can function as stand alone and do not require each other purely to turn and an respond.
I heard contradicting info about that the RCM beeing required for the ABS to work as intended though. @Tri-bar has RCM and ABS working in tandem without issues for years and running both is the save bet I would say.

Unless you need wheel speed or ABS data there should be no need to connect the ABS/RCM combo to anything else.

AFAIK the RCM is chassis grounded through the metal casesing.

Dont take my word for this, I am just putting out my last days findings and what I have seen to be working.

Appreciate the help!
Next issue, I'm using a non-Mustang master cylinder with a fairly standard front brake fitting of m12 1.5, 6mm tubing. The front line input to this ABS unit is a highly unusual M14 1.5, 8mm line.
I might have to switch to the Mustang master cylinder, but that booster looks really big, might not fit my project. Is there a thinner booster that is plug and play with the 11-14 Mustang master cylinder?
Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:
I ended up ditching the GM master cylinder and am fitting the Mustang booster/MC. This system uses an unusual/non-standard 14mm thread fitting on the "SECONDARY" line from the MC to the pump. I'm looking for the brake lines between the master cylinder and the ABS pump, having trouble finding any on eBay, etc... Anyone have any leads? Thanks!
Dave

20240729_191236~2.jpg

Salvage yards that pull parts to list on eBay and the like often prefer to cut wires and hoses for expediency, but if you go to a pick-your-part place you can disassemble it however you please and can be a good place to find little obscure parts like that. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel